Senority years equal to vacation weeks

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Really you have to try and insult me. I didn't make the rules. Talk to the Teamsters. A calendar year is just that the entire length of the calendar this calendar year started the 2nd of January. If a seasonal employee starts work on the 5th they will essentially get screwed. when vacation time starts being acquired they end up getting screwed and have to wait another year for the vacation time to kick in. This happens to all seasonal employees in my hub. Most only find out about it when it happens. So the calendar year starts the day before my seniority date.
Calendar year has nothing I mean nothing to do with vacation time. It goes from seniority date to seniority date. In years where you get an extra week it's avalible to take the week after you hit your seniority date.

Only way anyone gets screwed is if vacations are full after your seniority date and you get paid for that week you just don't get a week off.

MrWon

You need to return your calendar. My calendar year started on January 1st and ends on December 31st. As for the other things you discuss, I lost you partner.

I can't put it in any other way it's just the way they are screwing us here. I make 10 years the day after vacation hand outs Vacation is handed out on the first day of work for the year. The beginning of what management calls the calendar year.

We choose vacation days in November, but if you don't make 3, 5 or 10 years seniority by the first working day of the year you get the extra week of vacation the following year.

Every body puts up a fuss when they find out, but that's just the way it is what are we going to do about it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I can't put it in any other way it's just the way they are screwing us here. I make 10 years the day after vacation hand outs Vacation is handed out on the first day of work for the year. The beginning of what management calls the calendar year.

We choose vacation days in November, but if you don't make 3, 5 or 10 years seniority by the first working day of the year you get the extra week of vacation the following year.

Every body puts up a fuss when they find out, but that's just the way it is what are we going to do about it.
Read your contract and file a grievance because that's not how it's supposed to work?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Calendar year has nothing I mean nothing to do with vacation time. It goes from seniority date to seniority date. In years where you get an extra week it's avalible to take the week after you hit your seniority date. Only way anyone gets screwed is if vacations are full after your seniority date and you get paid for that week you just don't get a week off.

Not arguing or taking sides on this one but I noticed something at my center this year and I almost started a thread about it but I got my answer. Anyways, for some of us we get our hours on January 1st. Others are not getting their time until their seniority date which could be as late as the end of October. I cannot recall noticing this before but from what I have been told, after the employee completes a year they can take the vacation even if they do not physically have the time credited to their account yet.

The company is basically paying the vacation like an advance. The employee can take the vacation and get paid but as soon as the time comes on the books, the company then removes it and shows it as negative or zero. It sounds like what the OP is dealing with but (at least in Central) anyone who fall in this strange end of year loop can still take a vacation starting December 26th. Herein lies the problem, at least here, they had already paid us for unused vacation / option time by this point in the year. Maybe someone else can chime in with if they have an end of year seniority date.

Ms.PacMan

Calendar year has nothing I mean nothing to do with vacation time. It goes from seniority date to seniority date. In years where you get an extra week it's avalible to take the week after you hit your seniority date.

This is correct Mr.Won. In your 10, 15, 20, 25th year of employment you are entitled to your extra week but can only take it after your seniority date.

MrWon

This is correct Mr.Won. In your 10, 15, 20, 25th year of employment you are entitled to your extra week but can only take it after your seniority date.

Ok just for clarification I talked to a steward tonight and he has filed grievance after grievance on the matter and they were all fought and lost. On his own behalf and others.

I asked him to explain the calendar year and how it applies to vacation to me and how it works and the first words out of his mouth were "did you get screwed too?" His sr date is January 4th.

Basically if you are not at work the first day after New Year's break you will have to wait an additional year for your vacation. However he said on his 10th year he got the additional week like he was supposed to.

However, I know guys that have gotten to the 10year of service and had to wait until their 11th before they got the extra week vacation added.

Fingers are crossed that I get my 3rd full week next year, but based on past experience im not optimistic about it.

MrWon

Read your contract and file a grievance because that's not how it's supposed to work?

Its been done time and time again. At this point it's just a waste of paper. It always ends up fought and lost. Just about any one you talk to at my hub will tell you that they have been through this situation. I have only met a few that didn't. Im actually shocked that you guys never experienced this. I guess it depends on your area of the country.

MrWon

Only way anyone gets screwed is if vacations are full after your seniority date and you get paid for that week you just don't get a week off.

And im telling you that it doesn't work like that here. You can only select vacation at the end of the year. It is 1 or 2 days mngmt goes around the entire hub filling out everyone's vacation. If your sr date is in January comes after selection has been made you won't get a vacation until the next year.

Again I didn't make the rules. Now maybe you can request off if you feel you got screwed but it won't be paid.