"Service Provider" bid sheet

At my hub, they recently put up a bid sheet for a "Service Provider." Is this the official term for a package car driver? The bid sheets for a route are usually only available to full-time employees, but this one is open to part-timers as well. I looked around on the UPS Careers website and on browncafe, but I can't find a clear job description for this position. If anyone knows what it is or can steer me to the right site or webpage that explains the position, I would greatly appreciate it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I hate that name, its not discriptive enough. Thats like a sales clerk being called a sales associate or assistant manager. I am a "Package Driver".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Somewhere, someone thought that the title "Service Provider" would sound better than UPS driver, much the same as the garbage man is now called a "Sanitation Engineer", a janitor is called a "Custodial Engineer", etc. My customers call me UPS Dave and that's just fine with me.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
Somewhere, someone thought that the title "Service Provider" would sound better than UPS driver, much the same as the garbage man is now called a "Sanitation Engineer", a janitor is called a "Custodial Engineer", etc. My customers call me UPS Dave and that's just fine with me.

You forgot to mention "Petroleum Distribution Technition".

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yes, technically, a service provider is a driver. That was changed in the 80's I think, when UPS had a focus on the customer and the service we offered them.

I still think that one sup said it best when answering the phone "united partial service"

d

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
i like to think of myself as just another number in the myriad of brown.
so in that context i often wonder what number i would look like. maybe 67.3 or maybe 9.678

either way im subtracted just as easily as i am added. never have been divided only mulitplied once(so far haha)