SFA predictions

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As I recall you and R1a were saying fulltimers would be required to work mornings and evenings with a huge break, 5-7 hrs, in the middle. If anything would have threatened RLA status it would be that, as probably even Republicans wouldn't stand in the way of switching us to the NLRA if we were treated like that. All R1a's suppositions had no credible proof backing them and none came to pass. DRA is really about, IMO, being able to plug anyone quickly into a route to counteract high turnover due to poor pay progression. DRA hasn't worked, and they're being forced to pay better to attract and retain quality employees. They're still greedy you-know-what's, but they aren't stupid.

Yes, I do recall that was also a possibility if they had pulled the trigger. FT with a huge break, or PT AM and PT PM. Both would accomplish the same goals. I don't think it would have threatened RLA status, and Republicans usually could care less about the plight of employees. Fred would have figured out some way to kill FT employment at Express.

DRA, if it had worked, would have allowed them to "plug-in" almost anyone, but it also would have worked to make the all PT scenario more feasible. Fortunately, it has failed at both.

You also need to come clean and admit you and R1a weren't the best of buddies, kind of like me and Dano. R1a claimed to have contacts in upper management, a claim I believe. A lot of the strategies he discussed obviously weren't generated by him; they came from Memphis. He never named names, even in PMs, which were often longer than his posts.

vantexan

Yes, I do recall that was also a possibility if they had pulled the trigger. FT with a huge break, or PT AM and PT PM. Both would accomplish the same goals. I don't think it would have threatened RLA status, and Republicans usually could care less about the plight of employees. Fred would have figured out some way to kill FT employment at Express.

DRA, if it had worked, would have allowed them to "plug-in" almost anyone, but it also would have worked to make the all PT scenario more feasible. Fortunately, it has failed at both.

You also need to come clean and admit you and R1a weren't the best of buddies, kind of like me and Dano. R1a claimed to have contacts in upper management, a claim I believe. A lot of the strategies he discussed obviously weren't generated by him; they came from Memphis. He never named names, even in PMs, which were often longer than his posts.
We weren't friendly because he would get downright nasty if you even slightly disagreed with him. But beyond claiming certain things were going to happen he never actually proved it with pictures of the "secret documents ", etc. beyond all that, there's just no way governing bodies would have allowed FedEx to force us into a 14 hr day with a huge break in order to force FTer's to quit. With all the lawsuits they've lost over little things I can only imagine what that lawsuit would've paid, and the huge negative press it would've generated.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We weren't friendly because he would get downright nasty if you even slightly disagreed with him. But beyond claiming certain things were going to happen he never actually proved it with pictures of the "secret documents ", etc. beyond all that, there's just no way governing bodies would have allowed FedEx to force us into a 14 hr day with a huge break in order to force FTer's to quit. With all the lawsuits they've lost over little things I can only imagine what that lawsuit would've paid, and the huge negative press it would've generated.

Our local transit company has it's FT drivers take 5-6 hours breaks during the day...all perfectly legal. The net result is that you've committed about 14 hours of your day for 8 hours of pay. No, thank you. I'm sure FedEx could have also gotten away with it. If you wanted to stay FT, you were free in the middle of the day and then would need to return for the PM cycle.

And you're right that R1a never proved anything with documents or pictures, but I highly doubt FedEx published much about "The Plan", just in case it didn't work out.

Several people here have stated that management freely acknowledges that that was actually what they wanted to do.

Star B

White Lightening
It may be legal by you and accepted but get the "wrong" (according to X) labor board judge to declare that as a split shift and watch the pyramid crumble. That's probably why they didn't launch it.

vantexan

Our local transit company has it's FT drivers take 5-6 hours breaks during the day...all perfectly legal. The net result is that you've committed about 14 hours of your day for 8 hours of pay. No, thank you. I'm sure FedEx could have also gotten away with it. If you wanted to stay FT, you were free in the middle of the day and then would need to return for the PM cycle.

And you're right that R1a never proved anything with documents or pictures, but I highly doubt FedEx published much about "The Plan", just in case it didn't work out.

Several people here have stated that management freely acknowledges that that was actually what they wanted to do.
Bottom line it never happened. And we're on our way to better pay in a shorter time(too little too late for me). Hardly what R1a predicted.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Bottom line it never happened. And we're on our way to better pay in a shorter time(too little too late for me). Hardly what R1a predicted.

R1a has been gone several years, and what he postulated did not come true. That doesn't mean Fred wasn't trying to do exactly what R1a was claiming. Who would have expected DRA to fail so badly, or turnover to become such a big deal.

And even if you're getting a raise, it will never make up for what you've lost or even get us anywhere near where we should be using COLA. The raises will bring us to where we should have been 15 years ago.

vantexan

R1a has been gone several years, and what he postulated did not come true. That doesn't mean Fred wasn't trying to do exactly what R1a was claiming. Who would have expected DRA to fail so badly, or turnover to become such a big deal.

And even if you're getting a raise, it will never make up for what you've lost or even get us anywhere near where we should be using COLA. The raises will bring us to where we should have been 15 years ago.
No argument there, but then again, too little too late. I just want to get through my time and retire.

dezguy

Has the 10 step plan even been officially announced or is it all still just hear say?

Until there is official announcement, the idea to better pay in shorter time is just a fairy tale, to me.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It would have been a done deal, but Mr. Smith couldn't pull it off. DRA has been an abject failure, and Ground getting our non-P1 freight would have both endangered the RLA exemption and hurt the claim that Ground drivers are not employees. The end result was that he didn't get anything he wanted.

As others have said here, THAT WAS THE PLAN.

Sorry you're so clueless.

MF, I don't know how to explain it to you any other way. You and your sidekick weren't telling us "That's the plan." You were telling is "It's a done deal."

You lied.

59 Dano

As I recall you and R1a were saying fulltimers would be required to work mornings and evenings with a huge break, 5-7 hrs, in the middle. If anything would have threatened RLA status it would be that, as probably even Republicans wouldn't stand in the way of switching us to the NLRA if we were treated like that. All R1a's suppositions had no credible proof backing them and none came to pass. DRA is really about, IMO, being able to plug anyone quickly into a route to counteract high turnover due to poor pay progression. DRA hasn't worked, and they're being forced to pay better to attract and retain quality employees. They're still greedy you-know-what's, but they aren't stupid.

He's just trying to rewrite what happened because he ended up with egg on his face.

59 Dano

R1a has been gone several years, and what he postulated did not come true. That doesn't mean Fred wasn't trying to do exactly what R1a was claiming.

But you said it was a done deal and everything was in place for them to pull the trigger. Don't try to sell this as R1a's fantasy, you all but swore on your life that it was happening.

vantexan

Care to share? Our Senior said to us, "I'll see what I can find out." That was a month ago and nothing but crickets.
It was a minimal thing showing two different payscales. I believe someone posted it here awhile back. We were told there would be more info this summer.

59 Dano

Care to share? Our Senior said to us, "I'll see what I can find out." That was a month ago and nothing but crickets.

There was a handout later last year that explained the concept and how it would work. Someone posted a picture of it here. A handout in my district as part of the pre-SFA rah-rah campaign made reference to it, stating that the new pay plan will have couriers at top of range in no more than 10 years.

Obviously, new hires will be topped out in 10 years, but no one is sure where existing couriers will be placed in the new plan. I know that the company is in the middle of a tedious process with mountains of data trying to figure that part out.

Best case scenario is that anyone with 10 years or more will be topped out in October when it his and everyone else will hit top of range in 10 years minus however many years of service they have at that point. I don't see that happening, but it would be great if it does.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
There was a handout later last year that explained the concept and how it would work. Someone posted a picture of it here. A handout in my district as part of the pre-SFA rah-rah campaign made reference to it, stating that the new pay plan will have couriers at top of range in no more than 10 years.

Obviously, new hires will be topped out in 10 years, but no one is sure where existing couriers will be placed in the new plan. I know that the company is in the middle of a tedious process with mountains of data trying to figure that part out.

Best case scenario is that anyone with 10 years or more will be topped out in October when it his and everyone else will hit top of range in 10 years minus however many years of service they have at that point. I don't see that happening, but it would be great if it does.
You're a fool who's brain damaged by Fred's Kool-Aid.

They can print all the handouts they want but you refuse to acknowledge the fact that the company can back out simply by saying, "we can't afford it this year."

Or did MT3 tell you to ignore that part?

fdxsux

It's a Ten Step Plan not a Ten Year Plan. Managers, SM,MD, all want us to assume it's going to be ten years and just because some MD printed it on a pre-SFA flyer doesn't make it so. It's called a Ten Step Plan because FedEx knows there is no way in hell anybody is topping out in ten years. How many times in the last ten years have we gotten no raise or a lousy 2-3% raise because the economy sucks or oil prices are high or this or that or the other? What makes you think the next ten years will be any different? Anybody that believes newhires are topping out in ten is a fool. As the saying goes- Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

vantexan

It's a Ten Step Plan not a Ten Year Plan. Managers, SM,MD, all want us to assume it's going to be ten years and just because some MD printed it on a pre-SFA flyer doesn't make it so. It's called a Ten Step Plan because FedEx knows there is no way in hell anybody is topping out in ten years. How many times in the last ten years have we gotten no raise or a lousy 2-3% raise because the economy sucks or oil prices are high or this or that or the other? What makes you think the next ten years will be any different? Anybody that believes newhires are topping out in ten is a fool. As the saying goes- Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Pretty strong opinion there. We'll see.