SFA Results Are In - Epic Fail

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm sure he hated being there like he was in a landfill or something. What's baffling is why he was there in the first place? Couldn't have been just for 25 year safe driving jackets.

Correct. Bronczek sits on a few corporate boards, or perhaps there were some problems with local management. Or, maybe he was in town on his way to one of his vacation homes.

bbsam

Staff member
That hatred is understandable IMO. In many cases those same people made 25 or 30 years of sacrifices for this company, and now that they are getting close to their payoff, a comfortable retirement, the company has decided to renig on its end of the bargain. All the while, taking in insane profits and paying themselves handsomely.
Yes they are bitter, and rightfully so.
I really don't have an opinion on whether some should be bitter or not. But look what you've described: basically a small percentage of couriers. Those conditions really don't apply to people hire in the past 10 years. This turnover is to be expected (as far as the company is concerned). They are basically setting very high expectations for a relatively low compensation package but they still have deep pockets and can afford to continue their process of turning over couriers. It doesn't make much sense from our standpoint, but if they can find a percentage of couriers through turnover that decide to make it a career (for whatever reason) it might pay off 10 to 20 years from now and long term strategies like that are what people in Memphis and Pittsburgh are supposed to do. That it looks like utter chaos at the ground level isn't their concern.

bbsam

Staff member
My manager went over the gory details today. The scores were way down from last year's already dismal numbers. Some highlights from some of most looked at areas:

1. Benefit programs meet most employee needs

Down 30% across the country

2. FedEx follows the PSP Philosophy

Down 27% across the country

3. Rules and procedures don't interfere with how I do my job.

Down 32% across the country

What a dumpster fire!
So how many of your fellow couriers didn't show up yesterday?

hypo hanna

I'm sure the real scores are even lower than that.
I look at it like the national unemployment figures that do not count the people who gave up looking for a job. The SFA isn't counting the employees who stopped participating because they saw no benefit from it.

hypo hanna

I really don't have an opinion on whether some should be bitter or not. But look what you've described: basically a small percentage of couriers. Those conditions really don't apply to people hire in the past 10 years. This turnover is to be expected (as far as the company is concerned). They are basically setting very high expectations for a relatively low compensation package but they still have deep pockets and can afford to continue their process of turning over couriers. It doesn't make much sense from our standpoint, but if they can find a percentage of couriers through turnover that decide to make it a career (for whatever reason) it might pay off 10 to 20 years from now and long term strategies like that are what people in Memphis and Pittsburgh are supposed to do. That it looks like utter chaos at the ground level isn't their concern.
You don't think those 5 and ten year employees see the writing on the wall in how the older employees are treated? They too were offered a rosy future with fedex.

bbsam

Staff member
You don't think those 5 and ten year employees see the writing on the wall in how the older employees are treated? They too were offered a rosy future with fedex.
Not really. Not when they compare it to other nonexistent options. Those employees didn't have the long established love-fest that longer term drivers have had. Case in point: Van is talking about coming back.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Not really. Not when they compare it to other nonexistent options. Those employees didn't have the long established love-fest that longer term drivers have had. Case in point: Van is talking about coming back.
Van's situation is just a moment of being unfocused. He'll come to his senses.

MAKAVELI

Because at least he had seniority and 5 weeks vacation. Starting at the bottom at FedEx, you might as well wait tables or bartend. In the right place you can make a grip of $.

dezguy

Right. Fact remains, for many, there isn't a better deal to be had.

Age comes into factor too. Why wouldn't FedEx hire him? He's already trained, no need to train him on how to use the Powerpad or send him to courier school and, as an added bonus, they'll start him at the bottom of the pay scale. Not many businesses are going to hire a guy once they're nearing 50 years of age but in this case, it would make sense for FedEx to do so. Unfortunately for van, he'll be starting from the bottom again and will never see the wage he was at when he left.

overflowed

From what I know if nothing has changed, Van would lose his seniority but would keep his pay scale when he quit. In some cases, people who quit and come back at whatever the hiring pay is at the moment, would make more. Obviously, if that's the policy they know exactly what they're doing with the payscale. They like to claim ignorance about the pay and top out. How many times has your manager said " I would pay you all more if it was up to me." Canned response. I had a manager once tell me about pay " They don't even want to pay you what they give you. But, cannot hire anyone at the rate they would like." He was the most honest manager I ever had. I would do some of the stuff asked just because of his honesty.

DontThrowPackages

Age comes into factor too. Why wouldn't FedEx hire him? He's already trained, no need to train him on how to use the Powerpad or send him to courier school and, as an added bonus, they'll start him at the bottom of the pay scale. Not many businesses are going to hire a guy once they're nearing 50 years of age but in this case, it would make sense for FedEx to do so. Unfortunately for van, he'll be starting from the bottom again and will never see the wage he was at when he left.
AHHH!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Van's situation is just a moment of being unfocused. He'll come to his senses.

Unless they have changed policy, retiree hours are strictly regulated. With all of the turnover, they might have changed it, but I doubt it. Retirees are not supposed to work for any other FedEx opco either.

hypo hanna

I have no doubt that would take him back in a heartbeat. Not just because there is a shortage of drivers but there is a shortage of experienced drivers.
My point is, if he is having to start over from the bottom anyway and he knows how poorly FedEx treats the drivers, why not take his skills elsewhere? Now if they were to take him back at his old pay and benefits, (unlikely), or there is nothing else available in his area, then he should have something to think about.