Shady stewards/anti union building

Brownt10

So I’m looking to see if anyone else has experienced stewards that were “okay” for the most part but under the impression they either have no spines or they’re cutting deals w/ management?

Our pt stewards only care about getting hours after preload & the full time stewards are not much help w/ the issues we’re having on preload. The BA seems to be buddy buddy w/ out sups & ignores my text & calls now.

I know everyone is going to tell me to go ahead & be a shop steward & I want to. Big problem is majority of the building is anti union. Over a dozen drivers show up before the shift even starts & load their own trucks. Another half dozen are not even combo/22.3 drivers yet they work preload atleast 4 days a week for over a year. They fight most of us trying to enforce overweights & egress more than management does. Pt employees just worried about the same 5 or so guys staying after preload to milk the clock for 4-5 extra hours every day doing rewraps & folding bags. If they make a stink they lose their Ot.

2 calls to our union president & the secretary says he will get back to us & it’s been over a week. Maybe he has a legit issue, idk.

Before someone claims the drivers are overworked as it is We have it great bc most drivers don’t work past 1730. It’s a city w/ tight house calls.

HAS ANYONE EVER GOTTEN HELP FROM STEWARDS OUTSIDE OF THEIR CURRENT BUILDING TO COME IN AND ESTABLISH THE CONTRACT THAT EVERYONE IS IGNORING?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
So I’m looking to see if anyone else has experienced stewards that were “okay” for the most part but under the impression they either have no spines or they’re cutting deals w/ management?

Our pt stewards only care about getting hours after preload & the full time stewards are not much help w/ the issues we’re having on preload. The BA seems to be buddy buddy w/ out sups & ignores my text & calls now.

I know everyone is going to tell me to go ahead & be a shop steward & I want to. Big problem is majority of the building is anti union. Over a dozen drivers show up before the shift even starts & load their own trucks. Another half dozen are not even combo/22.3 drivers yet they work preload atleast 4 days a week for over a year. They fight most of us trying to enforce overweights & egress more than management does. Pt employees just worried about the same 5 or so guys staying after preload to milk the clock for 4-5 extra hours every day doing rewraps & folding bags. If they make a stink they lose their Ot.

2 calls to our union president & the secretary says he will get back to us & it’s been over a week. Maybe he has a legit issue, idk.

Before someone claims the drivers are overworked as it is We have it great bc most drivers don’t work past 1730. It’s a city w/ tight house calls.

HAS ANYONE EVER GOTTEN HELP FROM STEWARDS OUTSIDE OF THEIR CURRENT BUILDING TO COME IN AND ESTABLISH THE CONTRACT THAT EVERYONE IS IGNORING?
What grievances have you filed to address these issues?

Brownt10

What grievances have you filed to address these issues?
My problem was putting too much faith in the stewards. They’re good on some things but soft on others. Can I file my own grievances w/ out steward credentials?

I filled the first OSHA report & spoke directly to OSHA all w/ out telling my stewards or BA until a few weeks later. The letter ups posted by osha basically says ups will have to fix the issue which they won’t. No one uses overweight tape & overweights come down the shoots. Tried speaking up & surprisingly the drivers give me a harder time than management

UPSER1987

My problem was putting too much faith in the stewards. They’re good on some things but soft on others. Can I file my own grievances w/ out steward credentials?

I filled the first OSHA report & spoke directly to OSHA all w/ out telling my stewards or BA until a few weeks later. The letter ups posted by osha basically says ups will have to fix the issue which they won’t. No one uses overweight tape & overweights come down the shoots. Tried speaking up & surprisingly the drivers give me a harder time than management
You can file your own grievances. The stewards acts as a witness only.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
You can file your own grievances if you know what articles the grievances fall under but a steward reviews and signs the grievance as a witness along with management

ManInBrown

Every single shop steward I ever had in package cut deals with management except 1. It’s just a fact, it happens. They always stick up for their buddies, cut deals to throw other drivers under the bus to save someone they like. For the most part they all had easy days. 8-9 dispatches every day.

Thebrownblob

Every single shop steward I ever had in package cut deals with management except 1. It’s just a fact, it happens. They always stick up for their buddies, cut deals to throw other drivers under the bus to save someone they like. For the most part they all had easy days. 8-9 dispatches every day.
Cut deals for what? And how? I work about 10 1/2 every day. Never horse traded a grievance , and was rarely asked.

Thebrownblob

You can file your own grievances. The stewards acts as a witness only.
That’s not entirely true the Steward has the right to settle a grievance, and that is legal and binding. And the BA does as well Acting on behalf of the local. A good business agent will allow the grievant to come to the hearing if they want to.

Be careful. A lot of the guys on here can’t comprehend their precious union doesn’t act with integrity at all locals.

They openly cut deals here. BA and stewards.

That BA is now rubbing elbows with the new President. They replaced him with a carbon copy BA, action wise. But he’s 2 of him size wise.

I should add that the current stewards really do try, which is a monumental shift.

Thebrownblob

Be careful. A lot of the guys on here can’t comprehend their precious union doesn’t act with integrity at all locals.

They openly cut deals here. BA and stewards.

That BA is now rubbing elbows with the new President. They replaced him with a carbon copy BA, action wise. But he’s 2 of him size wise.

I should add that the current stewards really do try, which is a monumental shift.
There really is nothing precious about it nor is there anything mysterious.

If in fact they were cutting deals “out in the open” that violate your contract or your rights why don’t you file labor charges? Or even call the international and complain?

Or you can come on here and make baseless anonymous claims while you sit on your hands and pay for nothing.

Seems to be a lot of people looking to be victims here. Certainly people in charge of locals have done things they should not and they should be held accountable that requires big boys and big girls doing a little work to hold them accountable.

Remember, the men and women who are representing you are doing just that, representing you, they didn’t always work at your local union hall, and they don’t have to moving forward if they’re not doing their job. SMH

Last edited:
There really is nothing precious about it nor is there anything mysterious.

If in fact they were cutting deals “out in the open” that violate your contract or your rights why don’t you file labor charges? Or even call the international and complain?

Or you can come on here and make baseless anonymous claims while you sit on your hands and pay for nothing.

Seems to be a lot of people looking to be victims here. Certainly people in charge of locals have done things they should not and they should be held accountable that requires big boys and big girls doing a little work to hold them accountable.

Remember, the men and women who are representing you are doing just that, representing you didn’t always work at your local union hall and they don’t have to moving forward if they’re not doing their job. SMH
I did file labor charges. I called DC.

Aren’t we all anonymous?

I learned along the way and represented myself, proudly. I wouldn’t allow the pos BA in my meetings.

You know when I started seeing real work being done by the local? Once the RTW passed. That’s an unfortunate reality.

SMH lol

Thebrownblob

And btw, I personally got more jobs back than our local.

It’s unfortunate this is an anonymous site. Because I have proof and would thoroughly enjoy outing the clowns in this local
Great why don’t you run and take over? And what happened with the labor charges? Interesting you’re telling me you’re making deals and not an agent of the union. Sounds like dealmaking to me. Also, there’s nothing binding about those.

And you’re right it is anonymous. That’s why you know very little about who I am what I do and the outcomes, and I also don’t make generalized claims about people inplaces of position of leadership who cannot defend themselves.

And I would agree with you that some people abuse the closed shops. Doesn’t necessarily mean I like right to work either.

Great why don’t you run and take over? And what happened with the labor charges? Interesting you’re telling me you’re making deals and not an agent of the union. Sounds like dealmaking to me.

And you’re right it is anonymous. That’s why you know very little about who I am what I do and the outcomes, and I also don’t make generalized claims about people and places of position, who cannot defend themselves.
The NLRB told me the bar is for them to be there and be breathing. Unfortunately they met both of the standards.

Take over and run? Our building was in such bad shape from the good ole boys club you were looked at as trouble for remotely rocking the boat with “contract talk.”

If you saw the things I saw, I’d like to think, you’d be irate and ashamed of the union.

I could care less about who you are, or your outcomes. I never asked. I’m speaking of my experiences. My accusations are facts.

You blindly defending the almighty teamsters will only hurt you personally in the end.

Thebrownblob

The NLRB told me the bar is for them to be there and be breathing. Unfortunately they met both of the standards.

Take over and run? Our building was in such bad shape from the good ole boys club you were looked at as trouble for remotely rocking the boat with “contract talk.”

If you saw the things I saw, I’d like to think, you’d be irate and ashamed of the union.

I could care less about who you are, or your outcomes. I never asked. I’m speaking of my experiences. My accusations are facts.

You blindly defending the almighty teamsters will only hurt you personally in the end.
Your accusations are hearsay and you just proved to me the NLRB said they did nothing wrong.

Case closed, and quit trying to make deals with management that will get members outcomes that are not binding until you’re ready to step up and be the union steward or more.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
This is a situation that happens all over ups because management isn't cycled like before. Nothing you can do about it but file and bring it to management's attention if you want extra hours. No outside stewards will have the time to come over to your building and whine for you. You have to file.

Thebrownblob

I read posts on here and truly believe there are good, quality locals.

But there’s trash too. Mine was trash. Lower than trash
Do something about it, that actually has some sort of meaning. Complaining on brown café gets you nowhere.

And I am irate and ashamed that members don’t realize they have all the power. Never been afraid to take on the so-called good old boys. 🤷‍♂️ It’s mostly a cop out for saying most people are fine with the representation. I’m just not.

Do something about it, that actually has some sort of meaning. Complaining on brown café gets you nowhere.

And I am irate and ashamed that members don’t realize they have all the power. Never been afraid to take on the so-called good old boys. 🤷‍♂️ It’s mostly a cop out for saying most people are fine with the representation. I’m just not.
I did things that had meaning. I stepped up to be the help they supposed to have gotten from their dues.

Again, I’m not complaining about anything. I won my battle and am done. I’m just stating facts.

If you’re ashamed and irate members don’t realize that, you should see the example my local set. I can’t say I blame anyone much for being a part of the good ole boys club. At least they were a part of something.