Shoes

undies

Depending on the insurance you have, you can go to your podiatrist have them make you a custom pair of orthotic inserts. They made a mold of my feet and sent them to the lab, a few weeks later I had some heavy duty inserts for my shoes. Each pair has lasted me about 2 years. Cost about $100, totally worth it to me! Going back to get a pair before my insurance changes...assuming the contract passes :angry:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Professional mechanics pay top dollar for quality tools like Snap On because they earn a living with those tools and a cheap tool that breaks is not a bargain.

We earn our living on our feet, so going cheap on footwear isnt a bargain either--at least not if you plan on making a career here.

The demands of our job are such that you really do get what you pay for when it comes to footwear. I will blow out a cheap pair of shoes or boots in a matter of weeks, and my feet and knees and back will also pay the price. Instead, I invest $250 in a pair of Danner boots and budget to have them resoled/reconditioned once a year for about $120.

There are lots of things that you can get away with cutting corners on, but footwear isnt one of them when you get in and out of a package car 200 times a day handling many thousands of pounds. Do your body a favor and invest in quality footwear-your body will thank you in the long run.

You make a good point. I buy Craftsman tools but cheap shoes.

ManInBrown

Nike ACGs.....feel like I am walking on silk...Had em about two months now; need to polish them, but holding up otherwise. Sole is holding up pretty well; dries quickly. Main gripe is don't have very good slip protection. If they last through October, however, I'll just buy another winter boot for that.

Recommendation came from a previous shoe thread on BC...glad I followed it...

The Nike ACG's are great. The most comfortable pair of boots I've ever owned. On the flipside I just bought the Redwing 8691 shoes to wear with shorts. $160.00 bucks. They are horrible. Feels like I am wearing 10 pound cement blocks on my feet. They are very heavy. I'm SOL. Can't return them. I wore them for one day. Looks like I'm out that cash:knockedout:

U

uber

Professional mechanics pay top dollar for quality tools like Snap On because they earn a living with those tools and a cheap tool that breaks is not a bargain.

We earn our living on our feet, so going cheap on footwear isnt a bargain either--at least not if you plan on making a career here.

The demands of our job are such that you really do get what you pay for when it comes to footwear. I will blow out a cheap pair of shoes or boots in a matter of weeks, and my feet and knees and back will also pay the price. Instead, I invest $250 in a pair of Danner boots and budget to have them resoled/reconditioned once a year for about $120.

There are lots of things that you can get away with cutting corners on, but footwear isnt one of them when you get in and out of a package car 200 times a day handling many thousands of pounds. Do your body a favor and invest in quality footwear-your body will thank you in the long run.

You wear your Danners in the summer too?

I wear lightweight Keen's in the Winter and Nike's in the summer. The lighter weight the better. If I could I would wear a pair of cross trainers. I dunno, maybe thats just the 30 day wonder in me?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You wear your Danners in the summer too?

I wear lightweight Keen's in the Winter and Nike's in the summer. The lighter weight the better. If I could I would wear a pair of cross trainers. I dunno, maybe thats just the 30 day wonder in me?

I own 4 pair of Danners. 2 of them are older, low-topped "mountain light" boots that I wear during the summer. They have been reconditioned a couple of times and the Gore-tex liners are worn out so they are no longer 100% waterproof which doesnt matter when the weather is nice You can spend an extra $50 to have a new Goretex liner put in them, but I didnt need that for summer wear. The other 2 are newer "explorers" that are higher and have thicker insulation and I save them for winter. They would be too hot to wear in the summer, but the low-topped "mountain light" series of boots are quite comfortable even when its 100 degrees outside. If you buy Danners, make sure to get the American made versions, they have moved some of their production to China and their imported stuff is basically disposable; they have glued and molded soles that cannot be replaced.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
228_JOYA_Lugano_brown_0.jpgFeetFirstFitness.com Shoes are called Joya Lugano. They are a related company of the sweedish company MBT which are a really expensive and well documented shoe company. I paid 99 bucks for them normal price was 238. They are easily the most comfortable shoe i have ever bought for work. I would highly recommend and buy another pair in a heartbeat. Well worth the money. They cause you to walk the way your body is supposed to walk. Dont waste your money on skechers their the same idea with their shape up shoes but the quality sucks for sure. The heel has in these joyas has a stupid amount of cushioning i mean just ridiculous amount. Check em out you wont be dissapointed with the purchase. It takes alot of the shock off your knees and back.
228_JOYA_Lugano_brown_0.jpg

Nimnim

The Nim
We do get some employee discounts for shoes. Check under "smart savings" in the list of employee discounts on upsers.

Personally I'm a Rockport fan, looking at getting a pair of these soon.

In 9 years of inside hub works I've gone through 2 pairs of different rockports. Going to try these out as they have composite toes. I walk through a metal detector every day and haven't done steel toe but I'd like some protection and composite toe won't set off the alarms.

Indecisi0n

Do you guys order Danners online? I check a few stores around me and none are really close. I have never ordered shoes online before.

S

serenity now

Do you guys order Danners online? I check a few stores around me and none are really close. I have never ordered shoes online before.

go ahead and step out there; liberate yourself

(i haven't been in a shoe store in years)

soberups

Im kinda spoiled; Danners are made in Portland OR and the factory has an outlet store less than an hour from where I live.

soberups

Didn't you tell us that you bought slightly blemished factory seconds and were perfectly satisfied with them?

Yes. I normally buy the factory seconds, they are every bit as good as the first quality at less than 2/3 of the price. Most of the time you cant even spot the blemish. With a lot of them the "blemish" consists of a slight discoloration in the leather, about the size of a pin prick, where the dye did not fully absorb. One hour on a package car puts enough scuffs in them to make such a blemish go from unnoticeable to invisible.

soberups

I was looking at these.

Fowler GTX® 5.5" Hunting Boots

k53osh.jpg

Those are from Danners imported line, they are made in China and due to the design of the sole you cannot have them resoled or reconditioned. They are a disposable boot. You should really consider coughing up the $$ and investing in a pair of American made "mountain lite", "explorer", "acadia" or "patrol" boots. If you know your size, you can call the factory outlet store and order a pair of factory seconds that arent much more expensive than the Chinese imports. Give them a try your feet will thank you. And once the sole is worn out, you can have them completely reconditioned (new sole, new Goretex liner, new shank etc.) for very little more than the cost of a Chines pair and you wind up with boots that are as good as new but already broken in for your feet.

soberups

Do you guys order the hiking danners or the work? I would think the hiking boots would suit our work environment better?

Danner makes a uniform boot called the "Acadia" (it might also be called the "patrol") which is popular with police. They are a combination of black polishable leather with breathable black nylon/cordura type material in the upper part. They have the waterproof goretex liner. I have worn them for work before and I really like them. They have a high-top version and a 6" low-top that you can wear with shorts. Made in America and resoleable. The last time I was at the outlet store, the factory seconds were going for around $170 or so. The only reason I bought Explorers instead was because they didnt have the Acadias in my size.

overallowed

I like these Redwings a lot. Been through 3 pairs, each lasting around 8 months or so. Comfortable steel toe with a pretty thick sole. They run about $120 but, I don't mind paying a little more for good shoes. I'll be needing these feet for a couple more decades...
Red Wing Safety Boots - 5501 Worx Men's - 5-inch Hiker Boot Black
I won't wear anything but Redwings. Wear cheap shoes if you feel your feet ain't all that important. I wear these in the summer with shorts, and get some insulated hitops for the winter. http://www.redwingsafety.com/safety-boot/926-safe-us/926
link doesn't work for some reason. Style #926

Last edited: