Should a part-timer pay Union dues or wait until Full-time?

Re-Raise

Interesting. What year did you stop driving? PT is more physically demanding then FT? Is this based on an hourly or cumulative basis?

Hoaxster stated he only drove for a year or so. His opinion on the physical requirements of the job, or any other aspect of the job, doesn't carry much weight with me.

I played some football back in the day, but that doesn't give me any real insight into the long term physical problems that retired pro athletes face.

However, if the physical problems associated with updating a website or taking pictures are ever discussed, Hoaxster would be the man to listen to.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster stated he only drove for a year or so. His opinion on the physical requirements of the job, or any other aspect of the job, doesn't carry much weight with me.

I played some football back in the day, but that doesn't give me any real insight into the long term physical problems that retired pro athletes face.

However, if the physical problems associated with updating a website or taking pictures are ever discussed, Hoaxster would be the man to listen to.

I wasn't talking about the driver job although I realize the entire world revolves around the indispensable "DRIVER".

My comments were related to P/T inside work and that 4 or 5 years of that causes shoulder and knee issues for people that did not spend another 20, 25 or 30 years as a DRIVER.

Re-Raise

I wasn't talking about the driver job although I realize the entire world revolves around the indispensable "DRIVER".

My comments were related to P/T inside work and that 4 or 5 years of that causes shoulder and knee issues for people that did not spend another 20, 25 or 30 years as a DRIVER.

As a gambler , my money would be on the other 20, 25 or 30 years as a Driver. And as much as you would like to think differently, "Delivery Driver" is pretty important to a delivery company. Sorry.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As a gambler , my money would be on the other 20, 25 or 30 years as a Driver. And as much as you would like to think differently, "Delivery Driver" is pretty important to a delivery company. Sorry.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, go for it.
There is no one at UPS that is important ... the King is dead, long live the King.

DorkHead

Should a PTer pay union dues? Yes. Should a PTer (or Peak helper) pay an Inititation Fee? No---they can pay the fee if and when they go FT.

We pay 3 times our hourly in Upstate NY. As was mentioned above, the percentage paid (FT vs PT) is unfairly stacked against the PTers. What was not mentioned is that most FTers can write their dues off on their taxes while most PTers do not have the deductions to be able to do this.

Maybe your part of upstate NY. I pay 2.5 times

DorkHead

as a PTer you never really face any high-risk situations where your job could be put in jeopardy with a mistake or bad decision, so there is little need for extra job protection
further, you're only making 150$ or so a week, the dues would really cut into your paychecks

as a FTer, totally different story

Really??? You are so WRONG on this. As a matter of fact, your statement above applies directly to you Mr. part time secretary.

J

jibbs

Upstate, DorkHead's saying that he works in Upstate NY as well and pays less union dues. The different forms "your" and "you're" denote two entirely different meanings.

Re-Raise

If it makes you feel better about yourself, go for it.
There is no one at UPS that is important ... the King is dead, long live the King.

Okay , you lost me. Must be an inside desk jockey joke or something.

I didn't know you were talking about me in particular, I thought you were talking about DRIVERS. I stand by my statement that DELIVERY DRIVERS , (notice the s on the end of DRIVERS which means more than one) are pretty important to a delivery company. Just sayin

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Okay , you lost me. Must be an inside desk jockey joke or something.

I didn't know you were talking about me in particular, I thought you were talking about DRIVERS. I stand by my statement that DELIVERY DRIVERS , (notice the s on the end of DRIVERS which means more than one) are pretty important to a delivery company. Just sayin

OK, you win.

upsgrunt

Did you ever consider the possibility that most of the wear and tear on your shoulders came from your part-time years?

I only drove for a year but I worked in the hub for 3 years as a Loader/Unloader and as a Sorter.
I know other management people who worked P/T for several years and as a driver for 1 -3 years.
We all have shoulder and knee issues.

Something to think about.

There is NO way you could have shoulder and/or knee issues- the methods will not allow it.:funny:

barnyard

KTM rider
Thinking it about it some more......

If a PTer was in the Navy and the Navy wanted them to be a Seal, but they turned them down. Those people should not pay dues. We should all bow to the greatness and just be thankful that they chose to bring their considerable skillz to UPS.

stink219

We are no longer "delivery drivers". We are (MPS's) Management's Problem Solvers.

Maybe for some but in your case ... I don't know what the initials stand for but in your case it is definitely "PMS".
Don't worry. We are used to you management people being so far removed from the world of delivery. I know your job is important with your number tweaking and the avoident behavior on your 1030 conference calls.