Should a part-timer pay Union dues or wait until Full-time?

Griff

i was not always a desk jockey

i was the biggest pain in the ass, contract thumper you can possibly imagine when i was an hourly

in fact, i was asked to be a steward the week before i was asked to be a supe

Boy did you make the wrong choice.

Just think, you'd actually still have a voice and a choice about the way you are treated at work. What a shame.

A life of verbal/mental abuse, decreasing benefits and probably pay, more hours and you probably have ingested just enough of the brown koolaid to passively accept it.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Did you ever consider the possibility that most of the wear and tear on your shoulders came from your part-time years?

I only drove for a year but I worked in the hub for 3 years as a Loader/Unloader and as a Sorter.
I know other management people who worked P/T for several years and as a driver for 1 -3 years.
We all have shoulder and knee issues.

Something to think about.[/QUOTE Also, no other job in the world will cause these issues you speak of. Only UPS employees have these problems.

S

serenity now

i was not always a desk jockey

i was the biggest pain in the ass, contract thumper you can possibly imagine when i was an hourly

in fact, i was asked to be a steward the week before i was asked to be a supe

how long as an hourly?
how long in your present position?

Preload era have their share of problems. Misloads, damages, double Pal's, etc. I have seen several 5+ year guys canned for these reasons. I live in a RTW state and still joined my local because all my benefits were negotiated by the union. You will want that representation when summoned to the principal's office.

wilberforce15

I work in a hub with about 400 part-time hourlies, split between three shifts. Our hub volume, and our local delivery volume, have been growing lately. No big dips at all.

But it has been more than six years since we last had a part-timer go full-time. We have a few career part-timers (30+ years), and even if they wanted to go full-time, they couldn't.

A new hire asked me how long it took to get a full-time job. I told him there was no answer. It's like dividing by zero - it's undefined and simply does not exist. Our BA was out stumping for members the other day, greeting us all as we came into the hub. I asked him when the last part-timer went full-time. He was silent, thinking for about ten seconds. I said "exactly" and walked on by.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
.....But it has been more than six years since we last had a part-timer go full-time. We have a few career part-timers (30+ years), and even if they wanted to go full-time, they couldn't.....

And we have some 20+ year part-timers that will never go full-time because they don't want to.

On the other side of the coin, we have some cover drivers that were part-time for less than a year, and some bid drivers with less than five years.

rudy5150

The only reason this topic is being discussed is because PART TIMERS have been left behind and not thought of as equals vs full timers. Part timers feel second rate because full timers needs have came 1st over the past few contracts. Part timers pay union dues, actually at a higher rate for what they make than full timers yet dont get treated the same. I understand their frustrations. So i part timer who grosses about 2,000 month pays roughly 50 something dollars a month union dues. Yet a full timer grosses roughly 6,000 dollars a month pays roughly 100 dollars a month union dues? That is not fair at all for PART TIMERS!!!

The only reason this topic is being discussed is because PART TIMERS have been left behind and not thought of as equals vs full timers. Part timers feel second rate because full timers needs have came 1st over the past few contracts. Part timers pay union dues, actually at a higher rate for what they make than full timers yet dont get treated the same. I understand their frustrations. So i part timer who grosses about 2,000 month pays roughly 50 something dollars a month union dues. Yet a full timer grosses roughly 6,000 dollars a month pays roughly 100 dollars a month union dues? That is not fair at all for PART TIMERS!!!
Go fulltime! We all had to pay our fair or unfair share of dues! Nobody likes working hard for less than the guy next to you,but we all had to do it!

rudy5150

So i need to go full time for my union representation to be equal? Nice thought coming from a full time teamster thanks brother

So i need to go full time for my union representation to be equal? Nice thought coming from a full time teamster thanks brother
Just telling you the truth...you dont have to like it..There are way more partimers than fulltimers. You all have to get together and vote HELL NO and the company will have to listen to you!!!1

Last edited:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I did both too and yes a driver has more responsibility.

However, the inside P/T works harder physically with more wear and tear on the body on a daily basis.

The Package Delivery/Pickup driver job at UPS was my favorite job I ever had - tedious and boring but as far as manual labor jobs go, the best I ever had by a long shot.

you would not make it as a driver now, things have changed.your glory days of the past have little meaning relative to the new production standards at ups,, and for me, when i was p/t it was a big party joke,, it was fun, driving was too,, untill........

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I'm a current PTer, but I've spent my share of time driving. Each job has its pros/cons ... I always loved driving -- I thought it was easier, or maybe that was because I didn't have to deal with the bickering among some deadbeat co-workers, or the constant micromanaging from multiple PT & FT supervisors. Of course, there were some routes I hated (urban, industrial, impossible to run scratch) ... and there are some PTers who get away with doing the minimum every single day.

Most FTers haven't worked PT status quo -- the pace of the sort, the pressure to get done in 3.5, the constant micromanaging -- nor have they worked in a time period in which labor was so abundant, UPS was willing to let the go for even the slightest infraction, once they've put some time in. But as to which is easier ... that's all personal preference. Interestingly, the guys who are laid off from FT right now can't handle the PT sorts...

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
you would not make it as a driver now, things have changed.your glory days of the past have little meaning relative to the new production standards at ups,, and for me, when i was p/t it was a big party joke,, it was fun, driving was too,, untill........

again,...............

Tsquared

For the record I've paid my union dues the entirety I've been at UPS and they really haven't done anything for me with the exception of the healthcare and stuff which is awesome ,but to go in and break my back at 4 in the morning day in and day out I need some health care. I also cover drive and I personally think I do a bang up job. I'm always under scratch with 170 or if you add pick-ups 180 stops I always get good remarks....(besides bull**** things they have to say) on my safety rides, and often I see guys with less seniority than myself driving over me while my ass is in there doing the much harder job of loading trucks for half the pay and twice the work. When I try to file on it all the stewards want to do is sit down with the center manager and talk about why I'm not driving. After I bitch and bitch and ask them for a grievance form day after day after day and finally get one I was told I had to wait until the next time an occurrence happened where an employ with less seniority drove before me because it had been too long since the grievance had occurred. Well when I finally did get to file on it nothing ever came to be of it. Bogus for part-timers in my opinion. Hell my check ain't but $200 after 5 years with the company and $8 of it is goin to people who are suppose to uphold the contract are not doing so. The entire cover driver system is massively flawed and is in dire need of fixing. Just this pissed off over promised under paid part-timers point of view. All you guys that go out with 100 stops and bitch all day need to remember what it was like havin to kill yourself to do the real legwork at UPS.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
For the record I've paid my union dues the entirety I've been at UPS and they really haven't done anything for me. I mean I make like good money and stuff for my skill level compared to what i could get elsewhere, have free health care and retirement benefits and the opportunity to move into a ft position that pays $32+/hour but i could get that at fedex ground right? That pesky union takes my money and does nothing for me.

RIGHT-TO-FREELOADER!?! likes this.

I fixed your quote. You're welcome.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Do you think it is also fair that you pay a higher percentage of your pay than a FTer does and that you are most likely unable to write these off on your taxes?

So agree. I'm impressed at your non-biased views on things. Although you're a full timer, you still have regards for pters and our struggles. Now I see why a lot of people on here don't like you, its because you speak nothing but the truth. You are an inspiration. Hang in there.