Should a part-timer pay Union dues or wait until Full-time?

J

jibbs

I fixed your quote. You're welcome.

So I read the fix and immediately went combing the thread to see who the hell RIGHT-TO-FREELOADER!?! is....

Needless to say I feel pretty much like a dumb**** right about now.... eh, 'least I figured it out eventually.

rudy5150

More part timers would join the union if they didn't have to pay dues......drivers could pay a lil more making $80-90 grand a yr.......More union members=stronger union.

J

jibbs

More part timers would join the union if they didn't have to pay dues......drivers could pay a lil more making $80-90 grand a yr.......More union members=stronger union.

Imagine the scenario of part-timers being allowed into the union without paying dues, while full-timers are forced to join (in many states) and have to pay monthly dues.

I envision part-timers quickly becoming "second-rate Teamsters" in this scenario-- PTers are there to bolster the numbers but, as they don't contribute to the union, will face lackluster (to be polite) union representation at best.

A slightly similar set-up would be, in a criminal law situation, choosing between hiring a public defender or a private attorney. Public defenders are dirt cheap ($50 down in my state's county, I believe), and lawyers'll end up costing you at least $5 grand in the long run. Both promise to look after your best interests, yet private attorneys seem much more successful than public defenders at obtaining a result that reflects their client's best interest. The biggest, most important difference? How much money you give them/they earn. Sure, time and caseloads factor in too, but it all boils down to the almighty dollar in the end.

$0.02

P.S. I don't mind paying dues (retroactive initiation fees are a bitch, though) but I do wish we paid a flat percentage as opposed to multipliers of our hourly rates.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

Imagine if more PTers (in RTW states) joined the union, paid their dues and voted in elections. You'd be making significantly more, and the drivers significantly less (PTers outnumber them).

But honestly, every time I read one of your postings I think 'this dude can't be much older than 12.'

rudy5150

bagels is so out of touch with reality.....so a part timer making less than 200 a week should pay 20 for union dues? while a ft driver making 1600 or so a week is only payin like 80-90 in dues is fair?

J

jibbs

the part timers have been 2nd rate teamsters for yrs...........thanks to our union leaders

I respectfully disagree. I'm kind of new to the UPS culture, though, so you could be right... I just know that my (relatively short) experience here has led me to believe that I'm not :censored2: upon every chance IBT or UPS has to do some pretty gnarly ****ting, and that makes me, at the very least, content.

While we may be taken advantage of consistently throughout the years, if PTers would actually get involved in the union that they pay every month to be a part of then working conditions (and even employment conditions) would be a hell of a lot better for us all. That's a whole 'nother story, though.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So agree. I'm impressed at your non-biased views on things. Although you're a full timer, you still have regards for pters and our struggles. Now I see why a lot of people on here don't like you, its because you speak nothing but the truth. You are an inspiration. Hang in there.

​Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
the part timers have been 2nd rate teamsters for yrs...........thanks to our union leaders

Ken H was very clear that he is empathetic toward the PTers, but he needed to present a contract that his membership would accept. In other words, while he felt that PTers deserved larger wage increases than FTers, FTers would not accept such contract that gave PTers a bigger piece of the pie. Yet PTers outnumber FTers and could pass such contract, anyway, but most don't join the union or vote.

bagels is so out of touch with reality.....so a part timer making less than 200 a week should pay 20 for union dues? while a ft driver making 1600 or so a week is only payin like 80-90 in dues is fair?

We each pay the same rate. Yes, it's fair. But instead of whining about the contract, do something about it (e.g. VOTE).

Seriously -- you're one of the guys who whines and cries every time a supervisor touches a box, yet will not file a grievance or be a witness to another grievant.

OptimusPrime

I thought workers who opt out in a RTW state are given the exact same wage/benefits/etc, and are held to the same standard as any other employee. That's the whole point of the legislation. To try and get enough people to opt out, and cut the union down at it's knees.