Should I become a on car supervisor

bbsam

Staff member
And I'm sure the guys at work would be mad Bc I went to management. I can't disagree with that.
Just realize that you will be the middle of a turd sandwich. You'll be dumped on from "above" and "below" at every turn. The only way out of that is to somehow convince those "above" that you are the tastiest lump of turd two buns ever pinched. It will take 5 to 10 years for them to make that decision so open all holes to the max...they are about to be filled.

jaker

trolling
I'm being lied to. Management is telling me they won't force me to move. Funny thing is they all are about to get transferred.
What management lied , oh my gosh what the heck you think we have being trying to tell you

You lost most us off when you kept believing them and not listening to the people who have been here for decades . There is no reason for us to lie to you

BrownInTx

What management lied , oh my gosh what the heck you think we have being trying to tell you

You lost most us off when you kept believing them and not listening to the people who have been here for decades . There is no reason for us to lie to you

And I do appreciate it beyond what I have conveyed.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In the division I work out of, there is something called "The 50-mile rule". Management is usually only transferred around no further than that. They are topped out in hours at 80 a week, during Peak they were chased out of the building after that. There are many pluses and minuses about going into management, I don't fault anybody that wants more of a challenge. I had thought about it before, but I have been lucky to have a decent route the last two decades. I can clock out and forget about the job, my phone isn't going to ring 24/7. I don't have the college degree for promotion, so I would have been stuck in package car taking care of putting out fires all day. A plus is if you have a family and young kids, you can have a better chance of seeing special events with them. It is a stressful job, you have to be able to thrive under pressure and get results.

bbsam

Staff member
They are topped out in hours at 80 a week, during Peak they were chased out of the building after that.

That is just ridiculous. 80 freaking hours?!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Normally mine work about 60 hours a week, Peak is the exception. My Center was short a supervisor plus we had a dozen routes added to my Center in November. They do take turns closing out the Center so they can go home at a decent time some nights.

BrownInTx

In the division I work out of, there is something called "The 50-mile rule". Management is usually only transferred around no further than that. They are topped out in hours at 80 a week, during Peak they were chased out of the building after that. There are many pluses and minuses about going into management, I don't fault anybody that wants more of a challenge. I had thought about it before, but I have been lucky to have a decent route the last two decades. I can clock out and forget about the job, my phone isn't going to ring 24/7. I don't have the college degree for promotion, so I would have been stuck in package car taking care of putting out fires all day. A plus is if you have a family and young kids, you can have a better chance of seeing special events with them. It is a stressful job, you have to be able to thrive under pressure and get results.

I have no degree so another big minus. I also have two young kids that live with me and no wife.

Re-Raise

I have no degree so another big minus. I also have two young kids that live with me and no wife.
I this is legit, there is no way a single father should even consider going into management. You need to be able to leave the job and focus on your family when you are off the clock.

BrownInTx

I this is legit, there is no way a single father should even consider going into management. You need to be able to leave the job and focus on your family when you are off the clock.

Yup. Center managers pitch was if something come up I could get the ors to cover. All lies. Maybe when my kids are a lot older I will reconsider. But I'm sure by then I will be set in my ways and just laugh

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are topped out in hours at 80 a week, during Peak they were chased out of the building after that.

Much like his supervisor offering him a beer while shuttling misloads, this claim about his supervisors working up to 80 hours per week is simply not true.

Indecisi0n

UPS totally understands. We have a sup that brings his two young kids (9 and 5)to work with him because he can't hire a babysitter. While he's on the road the center manager has the kids clean under the belts.