Should I get normal pay for driving air or more for ground?

A.Spooner

I am currently an air driver, and have only been doing it for about 6 months mainly every Saturday. My current pay rate is $13.50 for air, and 11.50 for preload. I'll be qualifying in May for a permanent driver position which is unrelated. Occasionally we'll have issues with drivers not showing up or have unforeseen volume increases which in turn causes management to add small routes. This has happened to me twice recently where I would go deliver a normal route that I'm familiar with(all ground) but still get paid my air rate. Is this normal to receive the same rate whatever you're delivering whether it be a full 8 hour route, or abbreviated route as an air driver?

PT Car Washer

I am currently an air driver, and have only been doing it for about 6 months mainly every Saturday. My current pay rate is $13.50 for air, and 11.50 for preload. I'll be qualifying in May for a permanent driver position which is unrelated. Occasionally we'll have issues with drivers not showing up or have unforeseen volume increases which in turn causes management to add small routes. This has happened to me twice recently where I would go deliver a normal route that I'm familiar with(all ground) but still get paid my air rate. Is this normal to receive the same rate whatever you're delivering whether it be a full 8 hour route, or abbreviated route as an air driver?
Anytime an air driver performs ground work he should be paid at top driver rate. Read up on Art 40 in the master agreement. It is a penalty pay to prevent management from abusing air drivers. You shouldn't even have to file, they should just pay you automatically.

km3

But I will say this: If you're planning to drive full-time, it may be a good idea to keep quiet for now. If you give them a reason not to like you, it could affect your chances of qualifying. Talk to your steward, and choose which course of action to take wisely.

km3

I agree with you in this one.

Like you said, gotta choose your battles. If he intended to stay an air driver, that would be one thing. But coming up on a FT opportunity...In his shoes, I'd keep my mouth shut. At least he's getting first-hand experience delivering some ground before qualifying. He'll be better prepared than anyone else, probably.

Like you said, gotta choose your battles. If he intended to stay an air driver, that would be one thing. But coming up on a FT opportunity...In his shoes, I'd keep my mouth shut. At least he's getting first-hand experience delivering some ground before qualifying. He'll be better prepared than anyone else, probably.
He will get his turn to make that money back later on.

A.Spooner

Anytime an air driver performs ground work he should be paid at top driver rate. Read up on Art 40 in the master agreement. It is a penalty pay to prevent management from abusing air drivers. You shouldn't even have to file, they should just pay you automatically.

Thanks for the info, can you post a link to the Master Agreement? Did a quick search but didn't come up with it.

Box Ox

As an air driver, you should be getting top rate if you actually deliver ground. I'd have a talk with your steward.

He's an exception air driver with preload as the main job. Shouldn't be delivering ground at all outside of TCD season. Which is June 1-January 15 where I am.

But yeah, you should be getting more than air rate.

When you say you'll be qualifying for a permanent position in May, does that mean you've already won a bid? Or are you just being told that?

km3

I keep a notebook myself.

I have a folder of notes that I take in and write my times down on. Time I punched in, actual start time, time I clocked out, time of break, etc.. I have a spreadsheet with all of my hours, how much I should've made, with taxes pre-calculated already. I print out the timecard on UPSers every week as well.

They're not gonna rob me of the money I EARNED.

I have a folder of notes that I take in and write my times down on. Time I punched in, actual start time, time I clocked out, time of break, etc.. I have a spreadsheet with all of my hours, how much I should've made, with taxes pre-calculated already. I print out the timecard on UPSers every week as well.

They're not gonna rob me of the money I EARNED.
Everybody should do that.

km3

He's an exception air driver with preload as the main job. Shouldn't be delivering ground at all outside of TCD season. Which is June 1-January 15 where I am.

But yeah, you should be getting more than air rate.

When you say you'll be qualifying for a permanent position in May, does that mean you've already won a bid? Or are you just being told that?

We don't even have TCDs here. All of our ground drivers are full-time or seasonal (as in, hired off the street seasonal, not hired from inside seasonal).

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
There are a lot of people here who, unfortunately, learned the hard way to keep notes and make copies of their loose timecards (double shifting) before turning them in.

They seem to be handling things with more integrity now, but the trust is gone.
They've been doing timecard audits like I've never seen the last few months.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Unfortunately it's the people that make the least they get screwed the most
The bigger focus lately hasn't necessarily been on changing times. From my understanding, the timecard viewer has put some fear in the guys who shave minutes from employees (though obviously not all). They're looking for guys using codes they aren't supposed to. So using safety or shuttle time to reduce overallowed.