should I stay or should I go now? Would you stay here for the money?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Dude go be a cop screw this job. It aint worth all the bs and harassment your going to endure here. If you stay here sure youll make big bank at the sacrifice of never getting to spend any time with your wife or kids. I see it everyday guys walking around pissed off cause they cant see their kids grow up and the activities kids need their parents to experience with them. Its a no brainer really bro. Good luck with whatever endevour you choose bro.

UPS Preloader

I'm pretty sure i know what I'm going to do,, its just hard to think to give up the cash,, to do what I want..does money equal happiness? I will live within my means either way,,just thinking about maybe a newer car, bigger house things for the kids....

Sounds to me you already know what you want to do and are looking for us to justify it for you. We can't do that, only you can. My recommendation, decide with your heart, not your wallet.

ManInBrown

How are you a casual for 4 years? I thought casuals drive two seasons and that's it? You're hired permanent if they have a spot or you're let go after that. Am I not correct? If that's not the case mgmt could drag casuals out for years. Union allows that? No need for added FT driver jobs if that's the case. On another note what's this 30 consecutive working days driving rule? If I drive 30 consecutive working days I'm automatically permanent? Can someone clarify that. I'm a couple days away with no day off in sight:happy-very:

gotbrown

depends on where you are at I guess, some areas dont have casuals, here New England no max time frame, the 30day rule you refer to is for a pt to become fulltime its their probationary period, does not apply to guys like us. i work from june 1st to dec 31 with a 2week layoff in sept. We cover vacations during summer months and of course peak in winter months.You can only become permanent when they call you in in the off season or hire you on ( give you your seniority date to fill and open position)..

ManInBrown

depends on where you are at I guess, some areas dont have casuals, here New England no max time frame, the 30day rule you refer to is for a pt to become fulltime its their probationary period, does not apply to guys like us. i work from june 1st to dec 31 with a 2week layoff in sept. We cover vacations during summer months and of course peak in winter months.You can only become permanent when they call you in in the off season or hire you on ( give you your seniority date to fill and open position)..

​Got it. Good Luck whatever you decide to do

gotbrown

Sounds to me you already know what you want to do and are looking for us to justify it for you. We can't do that, only you can. My recommendation, decide with your heart, not your wallet.
not justify, just points of view from people who have done this for years and the choices they have made,, was it worth it or not? There are a few times in ones life that you can make a decision that will impact ones life. So I like to get all the info I can while contemplating my choices, but yes I'm am leaning one way and not the other.

U

uber

Why does everybody on this board act like being a driver is such a miserable job? I actually enjoy the challenge and look forward to coming to work everyday. I might be alone in this....

U

uber

Some of people happiest I know did not have pot in piss.

I believe the correct quote as my dad always told me was, "a pot to piss in."

Its a persons choice to go into management, no one forces them. I don't feel sorry for a managers workload. I bet there's a lot of stress thats beyond their control though. Not for me.

HBGPreloader

There are many pros and cons to both positions. So, it's really up to you.
However, here are several comparisons worth noting...

As a cop, the job is 90% boredom/10% hell. At UPS, it's 90% hell/10% boredom.

A cop works rotating shifts that may include nights, weekends and holidays. UPS delivery drivers rarely work nights, weekends or holidays. But, come peak, you are rarely seen.

Both jobs offer plenty of overtime.

As of now, both offer very good benefits.

Cops have opportunities for advancement while keeping their union benefits. UPS drivers, not so much.

If you're a cop within your community, you can make arrangements to drop in on your kid's play or baseball game while on the clock. At UPS, you would be fired for stealing time if you tried something like this.

Limper

Out For Delivery
Unfortunately it's too late for most of us. We're locked in. Money and toys do not equal happiness.
I've never seen morale so poor, both drivers and managers. Go be a cop.

A

anonymous6

being a cop should be more interesting. that supe is lying to you. they all lie to you for 30 years around here and will beat your body up , chew it up and spit it out.

be a cop and give us drivers a break once in awhile.

ocnewguy

Just my .02, but it really depends on what part of the country you are in to be a cop. Around here they are a glorified DUI/drug/party busting unit. Nothing serious ever really happens and I couldn't imagine dealing with bar fights and drunk teenagers every day for 25 years.

gotbrown

I'm leaving,,can't think about doing this for 20+ yrs..I couldn't wait to get off my route today and it wasn't that bad just non stop ..like every other day,the pay is good job not bad but they will continue to put more and more..Being a cop is what i have always wanted, its in a moderately busy town but nothing crazy... i appreciate all of your input..

gotbrown

also i'll tell you i have been on several interviews with several different officials( chiefs, mayor, commissioners,town council) and every time any of them asked whats the hardest thing you have ever done? I tell them UPS,, and I get a blank stare even if I try to explain this job, people on the outside just don't get it. .. You guys will continue to do this work and I will always respect the job you/we have done.. Who knows I just might be back but hope not:happy-very:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Some of people happiest I know did not have pot in piss.

Well played, sir.

I'm leaving,,can't think about doing this for 20+ yrs..I couldn't wait to get off my route today and it wasn't that bad just non stop ..like every other day,the pay is good job not bad but they will continue to put more and more..Being a cop is what i have always wanted, its in a moderately busy town but nothing crazy... i appreciate all of your input..

Excellent decision, and best of luck to you, sir.