Should i switch to feeders ?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Ups is creating 15 new feeder runs for the new Amazon hub and are looking for drivers to go into feeders. Does anyone having experience doing feeder runs out of Amazon hub? I heard that there will be a trailer leaving every hour and there is usually one guy just assign to the Amazon yard but it's all rumors.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Yeah they said that here too. Never happened. The one run we have that goes there replaced another that was lost. Amazon is phasing ups out

Koondog

I have been a pkg driver for 15 years. There is a opening to get into feeders but its a 11-12hr night run. I really want to get away from orien, body hurting and the micro management with pkg car driving. But that's a big But I have a young family and just doing know if I should make the switch. Any advice anyone ?
I would do it. I have a 7yr old and a 16 month old. I see them way more in feeders than pkg. I sacrifice some sleep but worth it. I'm a "Q" list driver now but can't wait to get a run or super "Q"!

Koondog

Looking to take my feeders road test. What are some things I need to know and be ready for?
Assuming you passed your permit? Our feeder boss was great to learn with. We drove around the yard and did the pre trip a few times on day one. Pre trip and on road the rest of week. Know your pre trip! I knew mine and got to take my road test and the test giver was a knuckle head. I didn't have to tell him too much. But he failed me for speeding. Out tractor was 5 mph off(to fast) come to find out. But I passed the next week. Feeders is like working for a different company.

Koondog

Just that you can operate their tractor safely and do what they ask you too. After your training week or on road production week you probably won't hear any more about anything until your annual ride a long. At least that's the way it is at our building. We're lucky to see our boss. Which is a great thing!

By The Book

I'm not in feeders so I can't give you any pointers to prepare you for your test. I'm sure good luck sounds good but isn't what you're looking for ;)

DC7

The Brown Hole
I just don't know what UPS will be looking for on my pre trip besides your basic stuff I do with my PC. Or if they will be expecting me to know anything else

barnyard

KTM rider
Get the CDL manual and go over the terms for the pretrip. I did not have to hold the brake for 1 minute with less than 10 lbs of air loss, but was expected to know the correct way to do it. On road, we went over 3 railroad crossings, do not shift on one.

Don't be in a hurry to get it done and you should be fine.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
1 minute with 10lbs of lost pressure? I think my state is 4psi lost in 1 minute for a combination vehicle. My memory sucks with old age!!

Johney

Ups management. I currently have my class A if I pass the road test they will do my week training
If you have your class A already then you only need to get your T endorsement and the UPS manager testing you will likely pass that's how they do it here. You will do your week training then your production week and if you pass both you will not likely go back for your test.