Should Older Teamsters Vote Yes?

old levi's

blank space
If this new Hybrid Driver position creates more Union members, might the older voter pull the switch for yes?

More employees equates to more pension contributions. So if one were focused on that, they may very well sell the younger drivers out in favor of their own long term interests.

What is the break point for an older Teamster?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
What is the break point for an older Teamster?

I will tell you after this contract...

The older teamsters (20+ years) are still waiting on the rest of the story, mainly the claims of improvements in retirement and health and welfare coverage. This will be the deciding factor on how this contract goes, the older members are for the most part are the 93 percent who bother to vote on the strike authorization.

You are correct in saying from past history that everybody is looking out for their best interest, always been that way and always will. The Company knows that this contract depends on selling the long term employee a nice carrot at the stick to nibble at. If it means creating these new 22-4 jobs (part time drivers/preload) in order to get out they will for the most part will do it.

I expect major announcement soon about the increases in pension benefits across in every region. It could be a sell out contract if everybody is not included, trust me on this one, I been more than familiar with being sold down the tubes in order to pass contract. I have to warn those close to retirement that if you jump too soon on the eye candy of increases into your retirement try to remember what happen with the last contract with our retirees. Once you retire you have no say or vote on what could happen with the next one, the active members might be thinking the same thing and pass a future contract that will affect your retirement (health and welfare co-pay). I recently saw print out on this site that had the retirement formula for the Mechanics, it was interesting to see that for the same amount of weekly monetary contributions they were paying about 350 dollars per service year. Currently the IBT/UPS plan is paying at most 170. Really will we be jumping too soon on this contract when we could be getting much more, research it people before you cast. It sure will be a hot time at these contract meetings, looking forward to it and have your questions written before you head down.

These Hybrid drivers will start replacing the higher payed route drivers, it will be a matter of time. Does anybody remember the plight of full time porters, clerks and 22-2's. Just look at the seniority lists from 25 years ago and see how they disappeared, without protective language. They were morphed into 22-3's which paid a lesser wage, most people really put a blinder on if you do not think this could be a concession much like the infamous "82" bonus baby.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Does anybody remember the plight of full time porters, clerks and 22-2's. Just look at the seniority lists from 25 years ago and see how they disappeared, without protective language.

????

22.2 jobs are protected.

They have been since the first National agreement.

Section 2.

The number of permanent full-time inside jobs in each Local Union area as of April 30, 1979, shall be guaranteed from replacement by part-time employees. In addition, the number of permanent full-time inside jobs created after April 30, 1979, under the provisions of Section 3 will also be guaranteed from replacement by part-time employees. The exception to the above will be in cases of bona fide agreements prior to the ratification of this Agreement.

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

In my Local, the company has actually created more 22.2 jobs recently.

-Bug-

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The 22.3's are considered full time so they would not be in violating that clause. True as usual about the number of 22.2's are protected and really the differences between the two would be according to seniority (pre-82 red circled). I do know that the full time clerical positions in my local have been absorbed into 22.3's. I am old enough to remember full time union porter jobs being around in the nineties. In my local there has not been any 22.2's positions created since the 22.3's came into being.

I believe that 22.2's (created before 1998) are classified as full time not split inside work, the 22.3's (created after 1998) would be the part time combos like preload/air, etc, etc, etc...

I am understanding that the Union really does not care what their label is, seriously they are about the same, except for bidding rights on vacancies. They are bid within the classification first then open to bidding to the highest seniority member, several drivers in my building got into open 22.2's because of it.

jagger john

If this new Hybrid Driver position creates more Union members, might the older voter pull the switch for yes?

More employees equates to more pension contributions. So if one were focused on that, they may very well sell the younger drivers out in favor of their own long term interests.
32 year driver contract sucks we all need to vote no

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation

john chesney

????

22.2 jobs are protected.

They have been since the first National agreement.

Section 2.

The number of permanent full-time inside jobs in each Local Union area as of April 30, 1979, shall be guaranteed from replacement by part-time employees. In addition, the number of permanent full-time inside jobs created after April 30, 1979, under the provisions of Section 3 will also be guaranteed from replacement by part-time employees. The exception to the above will be in cases of bona fide agreements prior to the ratification of this Agreement.

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

In my Local, the company has actually created more 22.2 jobs recently.

-Bug-
I bid a full time air shuttle job they tried to make part time. Grievance took a year or more. Guess what claim of the union denied. Are union has turned into a joke.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If the union really wanted to create jobs they would have improved the 9.5 language and addressed subcontractors in feeders. Our building could add 20 jobs in feeders if the union stopped allowing subcontractors.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If the union really wanted to create jobs they would have improved the 9.5 language and addressed subcontractors in feeders. Our building could add 20 jobs in feeders if the union stopped allowing subcontractors.
Another thing they could do, is to really clamp down on part time sups working. That is a lot of jobs in every building.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Increased number of employees that the company will be paying into the pension, this money will be going to current and near future retirees. It's just like the problem with social security, current workers paying for current participants. Then when they retire, most of it is gone. Just like our current congress not resolving the issue. The actual need is to increase company contributions to fund current retirees so current employees investments will be available to them.

Increased number of employees that the company will be paying into the pension, this money will be going to current and near future retirees. It's just like the problem with social security, current workers paying for current participants. Then when they retire, most of it is gone. Just like our current congress not resolving the issue. The actual need is to increase company contributions to fund current retirees so current employees investments will be available to them.
They need to get out of the multi employer plans. UPS is kicking in some serious cash for the pension plans. They aren't getting their moneys worth and neither are the employees.