Should Older Teamsters Vote Yes?

crystal_ball

The company had over 65% part time hourly employees at last contract.

They made it all nice for them with the high wage increases in this one since their voting power is the same 1 to 1 as a full timer..

IIRC our local rep said before current negotiations that based on previous contracts, you had to work one day in January to get the enhanced retirement benefits.

This contract says 2020, not 2019.

Im voting no.

If part timers really thought about it, they should vote no also until Article 34 says 2019.

More full time jobs would open up quicker.

But we see how millennials drink the kool aid for people like Bernie Sanders with a scicken in every pot.

So they will prob vote yes.

Parcelist

so are you saying the older guys would vote for a crap contract so UPS profits will go up and so will the stock price and dividends?

Well, if you consider Central States being in rocky territory, you have to make that retirement shortage back somehow...and UPS raising their dividend to .91 per share...might not be a bad idea. I mean you DO want your investments to remain profitable right?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Well, if you consider Central States being in rocky territory, you have to make that retirement shortage back somehow...and UPS raising their dividend to .91 per share...might not be a bad idea. I mean you DO want your investments to remain profitable right?
yes. I have a thousand shares and growing . and just reinvest the dividends for now.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

They are making that "retirement shortage back" by eliminating their UPS Retirement Plan for management people in 2023. That my friend will provide the addition revenue to prevent a major hurt on their shareholders. The Central States problem is why the IBT/UPS pension plan will never pay like the Western's. Corporate is still on the hook for any reduction or default that may occur. Why would both the Union and the Company want to add more costs to a failing scenario, so those members in the Central will continue to be paying for the mistakes from the past.

Parcelist

They are making that "retirement shortage back" by eliminating their UPS Retirement Plan for management people in 2023. That my friend will provide the addition revenue to prevent a major hurt on their shareholders. The Central States problem is why the IBT/UPS pension plan will never pay like the Western's. Corporate is still on the hook for any reduction or default that may occur. Why would both the Union and the Company want to add more costs to a failing scenario, so those members in the Central will continue to be paying for the mistakes from the past.
So the moral of the story? Buy more stock?

DELACROIX

The is nothing "moral" about the Central States problems or solutions. A lot of good people are going to be hurt through no fault of their own. Absolutely no accountability and the issue is so big that even the Feds have no clue either.

When does amoral cross the line and become immoral?

born2Bwild

For every retired employee how many employee have worked and paid initiation and dues and quit before they are vested in the years of his employment? Still, they need more to cover their six figure income the receive?
Did you ever think about that?

tommyl62

michigan metro detroit
It's not about my pension it's about the future of all new drives making the same rate of pay as us old drivers new drivers will be doing the bulk of the work why in the world would anybody vote on this bs contract vote no and get the word out to vote

It's not about my pension it's about the future of all new drives making the same rate of pay as us old drivers new drivers will be doing the bulk of the work why in the world would anybody vote on this bs contract vote no and get the word out to vote
The future of all new drivers is your pension. Because your pension is also their pension. Apparently many TCD don’t get your pension and don’t really have a future.

Over70irregs

Anyone get the feeling they already have a backup carrot contract that will be pulled out in case this one does not pass muster? Then force the next one using “I’m losing $” car dealer tactics.

pierregarcon

Anyone get the feeling they already have a backup carrot contract that will be pulled out in case this one does not pass muster? Then force the next one using “I’m losing $” car dealer tactics.

If feels weird for sure. I don't recall management before ever even mentioning about voting on a contract. We've had numerous PCM's mentioning about "getting informed" and making "informed choices". Mentioning the UPS official app and Teamsters Rising or something. It's like they are trying to scare young guys into voting yes.

Over70irregs

That 4 year stall on the mechanic contract sure was convenient. Seems like the Holy Trinity of parcel, freight and mechanics gauntlet In one fell swoop. The lockdown has begun and the cell door is creeping shut. I will vote..... then move on.

DELACROIX

If feels weird for sure. I don't recall management before ever even mentioning about voting on a contract. We've had numerous PCM's mentioning about "getting informed" and making "informed choices". Mentioning the UPS official app and Teamsters Rising or something. It's like they are trying to scare young guys into voting yes.

Fear is the only thing they got, always has worked before, why should they stop. If it starts to get at you just think back on the last couple of peaks, do you really want to go through that purgatory for the next five years. That in itself will get you back on track.

It has been over 21 years since the "97" strike, most of the current membership never lived through it or study the history of it. Research it and just how much effect it had on the ecomony and the news media headlines after just two weeks, the effect it would have now would be far worst. If it comes down to it the Feds will get involved real quick. A "no" vote on this one will not start the strike, neither the Union or the Company wants anything to do with a strike or work stoppage. The newer drives better start asking for the factual information from the drivers who lived through it, right now a lot of misinformation and half lies are being circulated from all the web sites. Learn to read between the lines and develop a sixth sense to what is blarney and what is right information, everybody has an agenda.