Sick of hearing from customers, "working late, huh?"

Along with winter's short daylight comes this constant comment from customers. It's one thing if it's after 8, but I'm hearing it in the 5 o'clock hour. Just because it's dark doesn't mean it's late people. I don't have bankers hours like you. So for 3 hours a day I have to respond. I often say "always". In July, if I have a long day and it's 8pm I never hear it. Because it's still light out.

What do you guys say?
I've learned to just agree with them and then forget it even happened. Who cares. People like the sound of their own voice. Indifference to this saves on your blood pressure.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Haven't heard it yet this year, but last year a guy met me at the door said the classic "You guys work pretty late". The box I handed him was a home depot box of a light fixture I think. Then I got super pissed because there was a home depot literally 3 blocks away >:(

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It's a wonder why our system can't be set up to move the volume to centers early enough and have it so preload could be wrapped by 7:30am. And drivers could be on road at 8am. Run resi's for an hour and start businesses at 9. Is it really a complete impossibility?
Moving preload back an hour and a half moves everything back an hour and a half. No more late pickups for high volume shippers. All the sorts would have to move back an hour and a half. Even if you ignored all of that, you still aren't moving volume any faster over the ground. So packages that could be delivered in 2 days are now taking 3 days. More 1DA, 2DA, and 3DA volume would have to go by air to make the commits. It makes it all more expensive.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I was a utility driver then so basically yes lol. But I hate lazy people so much. If you live close to a store then drive your ass there and get what you need there. People that order their toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, and dog food are the worst

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I was a utility driver then so basically yes lol. But I hate lazy people so much. If you live close to a store then drive your ass there and get what you need there. People that order their toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, and dog food are the worst
Those lazy people buying stuff online are creating union jobs for you and your fellow teamsters.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Haven't heard it yet this year, but last year a guy met me at the door said the classic "You guys work pretty late". The box I handed him was a home depot box of a light fixture I think. Then I got super :censored2: because there was a home depot literally 3 blocks away >:(

Perhaps the Home Depot 3 blocks away didn't have that exact fixture in stock. Why do you care anyway; it pays the bills.

wayfair

swollen member
The box I handed him was a home depot box of a light fixture I think. Then I got super :censored2: because there was a home depot literally 3 blocks away >:(

Had a customer order 20+ cases of 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot, it was loaded in section 2.... there's a Home Depot less than 1/2 mile from where the business is... challenging day for sure.

Anthonysg0113

Moving preload back an hour and a half moves everything back an hour and a half. No more late pickups for high volume shippers. All the sorts would have to move back an hour and a half. Even if you ignored all of that, you still aren't moving volume any faster over the ground. So packages that could be delivered in 2 days are now taking 3 days. More 1DA, 2DA, and 3DA volume would have to go by air to make the commits. It makes it all more expensive.
Well, UPS wants to stick their head in the sand so to speak as when to start preload. A few late airs cures that. Our preload is starting at 2:30 am tonight. Still won't get out of the building til after 8 am. I don't mind putting in an 11 to 12 hour day! Overtime!!$!!$!!$.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Look again, I posted two different figures. When you consider the whole population, only 45% of people work. 1/3rd not working figure excludes many segments including children.

We need real links to your figures.

Do they include retirees? How about retirees like me that work part time, but don't get enough hours to be considered employed?

Last edited: