Simple hacks for the UPS driver - On topic please

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'd like to start a thread to share simple "hacks" that could make things easier for drivers. Here are a few that I have come up with during my 28 year career.

This is the "zip tie Mag Light holder." All you need is a zip tie and a Phillips head screwdriver to solve the problem of keeping your flashlight handy. The location may vary according to the model of truck you drive but the idea is the same.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445461990.024854.jpg

soberups

The same trick can be used to keep a Squeegee handy. I bought mine for $1 at a dollar store, its perfect for keeping my mirrors clear on rainy days.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445462086.103600.jpg

soberups

Bungee cords are a drivers best friend. I use one to keep a roll of paper towels handy. I have a roll bungeed to the overhead vent, above my rear-view monitor. Its totally out of the way yet easy accessible. I just removed a roll from one of the paper towel dispensers in the locker room, there are several of them in our building and the janitor refills them when empty. Very handy for cleaning windows or dirty hands! Mounting location may vary according to vehicle type.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445462365.574508.jpg

soberups

Large, flat irregs that wont fit on a shelf can be stood upright and bungeed to the lip of the shelf so that you arent walking on them or tripping over them all day.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445462503.673541.jpg

soberups

An empty milk crate or plastic cat litter bucket makes an excellent receptacle for tire chains and a trailer stinger if your car is so equipped. Use a bungee cord to secure it into the back corner. An attachment point for a bungee hook can be made by loosening one of the nuts on the back door frame with a 1/2" wrench. This keeps chains and stingers from sliding all over the floor and getting in the way.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445462716.644575.jpg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
in feeder everything in the cab has to be secured or put in a box on the catwalk behind the cab.

you are right, bungees, zip ties, duct tape, are all good friends to have.

several drivers have been killed ( none UPS ) when they had a rollover and tire chains hit their heads.

DOT told us that but they very rarely if ever enforce that. it's just good common sense.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
1445464064020.jpg

One of my customers gave me this container to keep biscuits in. It belonged to a little white fuzzy dog that would love my visits and when she passed away they gave me her treat box.

Johney

That flashlight wouldn't last one night in our building. You can't leave anything in our p/c's it will vanish. Handcarts during peak? If it's not locked down? Gone.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
An empty milk crate or plastic cat litter bucket makes an excellent receptacle for tire chains and a trailer stinger if your car is so equipped. Use a bungee cord to secure it into the back corner. An attachment point for a bungee hook can be made by loosening one of the nuts on the back door frame with a 1/2" wrench. This keeps chains and stingers from sliding all over the floor and getting in the way.
View attachment 57840
Good way the stop the floor getting all beat down by the stinger.

soberups

That flashlight wouldn't last one night in our building. You can't leave anything in our p/c's it will vanish. Handcarts during peak? If it's not locked down? Gone.
My flashlight goes in my locker at night. As far as handtrucks go, you guys need to start filing grievances. The contract language is quite clear and the solution is simple.

soberups

All are advised to not upload pictures of their PC with number or other unique items showing
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445470045.775982 - sansNumber.jpg
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445470045.775983 - sansNumber.jpg
No driver should be without a 1/2" box wrench. A cheap old rusty one works just fine. All mirror bolts on package cars are 1/2", so having a wrench allows you to tighten and adjust your mirrors as needed.

Last edited by a moderator: