Simple hacks for the UPS driver - On topic please

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by soberups, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Packmule

Packmule Well-Known Member

Use it often! Agree totally! Do all this just to handle the most minimal incline. Even main highways during active storms. Only takes a half an inch of snow and these worthless limited slip rear ends don't cut it. The average p700 weighs 8 tons empty. Probably 6 1/2 tons of that are from the cab forward. Gotta add the weight or stay home. And since they won't let me stay home....

2. Catatonic

Catatonic Nine Lives

Spray bottle and paper towels to keep your PC clean.

3. cosmo1

cosmo1 Perhaps. Staff Member

Three quarters of my last route was on the other side of a 2000' ridge. Four steep, twisty miles to get to it. If it was the least bit slick, I could make it as long as nobody slowed me down by getting stuck or sliding off the road.

I could drive 35 miles around and come in the other end of the valley, but when I would call and inform management, they would usually tell me just to EC everything.

WAD!!

4. QualityLoads

QualityLoads Active Member

In the newer package cars theres a spot above hand brake where i can put a 1 gallon coleman water jug. The jug stays in place as if it were designed for that purpose.

[​IMG]

5. you can fix up the handcart temporarily with a pen through the holes if you lose one of the bolts for the extension

6. Ms.PacMan

Ms.PacMan Well-Known Member

I wrap my cart handles with hockey stick tape to keep my hands from freezing without gloves.

7. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

I took a roll of the non slip tape and cut a monogram in the middle of the cab floor with a diamond outline around the initial. It was sweet only took two days to make

8. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

If getting stuck is a possibility, then a tow strap or rope can be a life saver. All I ever have to do if I get stuck is to attach my tow strap to the bumper and stand there. The first person who passes by in a truck or a 4x4 or a tractor will stop and pull me out. Especially if his girlfriend is with him to take pics!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. neiko

neiko Member

During winter I always carry long ice scrapper brush . The wipers on the new trucks are so short . U cant really see anything at all in those slushy icy snow days ,

10. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Cut off the 12v connector,splice clips onto the wires, connect direct to the battery.

11. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

some us carry a small bag of "quick chains". it is a small section about 18 inches long that drapes over the tire and hooks together thru the holes in the wheel. it has small spikes that will get you unstuck in snow . you dont keep them on. used to get you unstuck and then take off. takes about 2 minutes to put on. real lifesaver when you are in the middle of nowhere.

12. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

image.jpeg
    Wut?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  13. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

Now I've seen everything. UPS actually inviting you to steal their power. Back in my time that was a BIG no no.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. olroadbeech

i dont have one but a lot of drivers swear by something called a smart phone but you have to implant something in your ear.

15. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

If you own a smart phone, an Otter Box Defender or comparable case is a wise investment. If it has a clip on the back, you can firmly attach it to the sun visor or the metal lip above the windshield using a bankers clasp. This can give you a "poor mans heads-up GPS" if you are using the Goole Maps app.
    ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445532120.079439.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. 104Feeder

104Feeder Phoenix Feeder

A 'hack' is a worn out horse or someone relegated to routine work.

My tip is to keep a "signature stop" list especially if you are a swing driver. I used blank address correction labels. It's for identifying and properly servicing the female of the species.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. olroadbeech

penlight, 6 in 1 screwdriver, bungees, tape, swiss army knife, wood matches in protective can, trail mix, extra drinking water ,overnight bag with toiletries bag, small precision tool set, blanket, spare cash and coins, little notebook for phone numbers and such, spare socks, first aid kit and medicines, whistle, map , book or magazine to read in case of breakdown or layover, spare batteries, any tool that can work for minor repairs. bag of trailer lights, airline hose with accessories (saved many a road call.)

i carried all this stuff ( and more ) in feeder as my meet points were 240 miles one way usually in the middle of nowhere.

18. CoolArrow

CoolArrow Member

Great thread very helpful.

19. Nike

Nike Active Member

I second carrying a mag light. Can be used as a weopon against dogs and crazy people
    ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445538164.065791.jpg

Sent using BrownCafe App

20. Wally

Wally BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

I do the tape- drink holder thing.