Simple hacks for the UPS driver - On topic please

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What's up with all the mud?
Welcome to MY world.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445470493.370348.jpg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i had a kit bag with ear plugs, advil, tums, dayquil, and other small items that can save the day occasionally.

oh ya. a basic first aid kit too.

Packmule

I have a route in the mountains, lots of hills. I I pack12 70 lbs sand tubes, wrapped in duct tape, for weight. I place them behind the hubs, 6 per side, an tie them up with ropes.
I also carry a small one-hand pick hammer that will bust one open for a sizable serving of sand on the road when needed. Saved my &@$(/ once now!
I also carry a spare pair of gloves just for chaining up. Nothing worse than frozen fingers and wet gloves.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have a route in the mountains, lots of hills. I I pack12 70 lbs sand tubes, wrapped in duct tape, for weight. I place them behind the hubs, 6 per side, an tie them up with ropes.
I also carry a small one-hand pick hammer that will bust one open for a sizable serving of sand on the road when needed. Saved my &@$(/ once now!
I also carry a spare pair of gloves just for chaining up. Nothing worse than frozen fingers and wet gloves.

That, my friend, is some serious dedication. Once upon a time, I would have done the same.

However, I later learned that ECD was my best friend in bad (snowy and icy) conditions.

Re-Raise

A can of window de-icer spray comes in handy. Works great on mirrors and you can spray the windshield without climbing on the bumper and using an ice scraper.

rod

Retired 22 years
can of tire fix flat in case you notice one gdtting low on tire pressure.
Or, a cheap 12 volt compressor.
Might save a road call if a nail gets in a tire.

What would you plug the 12 volt compressor into------don't tell me the trucks actually have a 12 volt cigarette lighter type receptacle in them now days. Personally I've never had much luck with that Fix-a-Flat crap. It might not work the best when its 20 below.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What would you plug the 12 volt compressor into------don't tell me the trucks actually have a 12 volt cigarette lighter type receptacle in them now days. Personally I've never had much luck with that Fix-a-Flat crap. It might not work the best when its 20 below.

For a while back in the mid-80's, every truck here had a can of that crap in it. I don't think anyone tried to use it, and when the cans started getting punctured from bouncing around, they all went away.

Talk about a mess!!

Overpaid Union Thug

I have a kind of "Go Bag" (back pack) that I keep packed with essentials for the job. I used to keep some of them in an extra DIAD holster that I have strapped into the cab up above the passenger door (light cables) but unassigned drivers would raid it while I was off and not replace any of it. The bag will hold an amazing amount of stuff. I still have lots of room in it now.

For example it has...

Extra uniform items including three different types of hats
Info notices
Styluses
Pens
Knife
Various medicine
Wet wipes
Gloves
Grievances (pending and blank)
Contract

And other stuff.

Last edited:

Ms.PacMan

image.jpeg

PVC pipe for Maglite. Was mounted to the left of DIAD holder in my old truck at the same angle with zip ties (twist the ties to bite the pvc). Convenient for a helper to grab when mounted in the middle.

I haven't found a home for it yet in my new truck.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
View attachment 57877
PVC pipe for Maglite. Was mounted to the left of DIAD holder in my old truck at the same angle with zip ties (twist the ties to bite the pvc). Convenient for a helper to grab when mounted in the middle.

I haven't found a home for it yet in my new truck.

Unless you are also needing that for a club, they make some really good lights that will fit in your shirt pocket.