Single Day Vacation Denied

Cementups

Box Monkey
I would just make sure to follow up with the staffing on the day you requested off. If there were drivers not being utilized that day and you had been denied a grievance should follow.

upschuck

This is what my supplement says:

Approval of vacation days will be at the discretion of the employer. The Company shall not unreasonably deny the request. Single vacation day(s) selected during the calendar year must be selected, in writing, a minimum of eight (8) working days prior to the requested date(s). The Company must approve or deny the requests within one (1) working day of the request. Single vacation days may be granted by mutual agreement outside of the eight (8) working day request provision outlined above. The Company will allow a minimum of one (1) single vacation day in each work classification for areas with twenty-five (25) employees or less; minimum of two (2) for areas with 26-70 employees and a minimum of three (3) employees for areas with 71 or more employees, provided there is coverage for the single vacation days. These days shall be paid for the first five days that the employee does not work, provided they were scheduled to work on these days and provided there is coverage for the single vacation days.

gorilla75jdw

Last week I put in for a floating SDV this week. I was 10 days in advance, and the only one asking for this day. I'm also the second highest seniority driver in our building.
I was denied, "no coverage."
Should add we have two drivers off due to long term injuries.
My question is, can they do that? I'm under the impression they are required by contact to honor these days as requested up to the prescribed limit in your building.
Just call in sick , and if you have sick/personal days then don't worry about it.

By The Book

Since gaining considerable seniority, I've never been denied. Before that, if I was sick I had no problem calling in, and fully understood otherwise there were rules you played by, not just for the sake of your customers, but for your coworkers who were sure to get slammed if you didn't show up. Guess I'd rather be known as a person who has the balls to own my responsibilities that one who uses them to play games at everyone else's expense.
Nevertheless, I appreciate EVERYONE who responded. Learned there is a difference in the legalities of a personal and a SDV. Will be keeping that in mind. And if I can, I'll grieve this and see what happens.
I was just wondering if it states anywhere in your vacation language that management gets to choose your day off for you. If it doesn't and you've followed your vacation language, grieve it now. I would also look into if they are supposed to have a percentage of utility/cover drivers available for absenteeism. On the 2 days you need coming up maybe you use the carryover days from the next 2 holiday weeks?

9.5 everyday

One reason is if you are seen out running around town when you're supposed to be sick, you might get terminated!
Calling out sick can cover a lot of reasons. How about mental health. Say I needed the day off to get away from the stress of the job and clear my head if anyone sees you. friend them. It's Friday and I'm going golfing.

Last edited:

brown67

Who said he was sick? I'd just tell them I won't be in for the day, they don't need to know why. The less they know about my outside life the better, they aren't my friends.

Just don't lie. "I can't come in today" is all they need to know. Then you can contact payroll and ask them to make it a vacation day.

Packmule

Why do they call this a "single day vacation? A vacation isn't a day. It's called a personal day.
Depends on your local supplement. Here we get two personal days per year, and you can set aside up to two 45 hour vacation weeks to be taken in increments from one day to three. They work the same as ten more personal days a year.

DOK

Last week I put in for a floating SDV this week. I was 10 days in advance, and the only one asking for this day. I'm also the second highest seniority driver in our building.
I was denied, "no coverage."
Should add we have two drivers off due to long term injuries.
My question is, can they do that? I'm under the impression they are required by contact to honor these days as requested up to the prescribed limit in your building.

Our supplement has written that they have to let a certain % of employees off each day, Monday's and Friday's the percentage is lower. Try to get it in next contract.

Packmule

Why do they call this a "single day vacation? A vacation isn't a day. It's called a personal day.
Depends on your local supplement. Here we get two personal days per year, and you can set aside up to two 45 hour vacation weeks to be taken in increments from one day to three. They work the same as ten more personal days a year.

9.5 everyday

Damn. We get 5 optionals and can set aside 2 weeks vacation for vacation days. We can't set aside a vacation week until we have a minimum of 4 weeks vacation.

Packmule

Damn. We get 5 optionals and can set aside 2 weeks vacation for vacation days. We can't set aside a vacation week until we have a minimum of 4 weeks vacation.
Wow! 5 optionals! Like I said: nothing is the same in any two places! Have to laugh when I see people on here arguing about stuff like this! Guess what? You're both right! Lol

JL 0513

I'm not curious about time off allocations. I know it's different everywhere. I was just wondering why this local decided to change the definition of "vacation". A day off isn't a vacation.

9.5 everyday

I'm not curious about time off allocations. I know it's different everywhere. I was just wondering why this local decided to change the definition of "vacation". A day off isn't a vacation.
The difference in using a "vacation" day over an optional day is that a vacation day is paid as 9 hours instead of 8 hours for the optional.

upschuck

Sure it is, why not? A vacation is a day(s) off for pleasure, or whatever that is paid.

Packmule

As a senior driver, not only do I get seven weeks vacation, but I have to start picking them in October the previous year. Unsurprisingly, I found myself spending most of the year wishing I picked something different because unforeseen events came up. Or I just really could use a few more three day weekends. Doctors and dentists. And my personal favorite; it's supposed to snow.
I still have 5 scheduled weeks off which is more than most people dare dream of. The rest I like to have the flexibility.

JL 0513

The difference in using a "vacation" day over an optional day is that a vacation day is paid as 9 hours instead of 8 hours for the optional.

It makes more sense in that context. We don't have that differentiation here. All personal days are 8. And vacations are paid at 40 hours. Not 45 like some of you guys. Screwed over again!