Single Day Vacation Denied

Cementups

Box Monkey
This thread seems like a good place to ask a question.

I requested a personal for next Friday. Request was disapproved: bumped by senior employee.

Senior employee requested "Schedule off". In other words, pay code 26, dead day.

Can a senior employee bump a junior with such a request?

If the senior driver "bumped you" from getting the day off then he should be forced to use one of his option days if he has them available. If he does NOT have days available then it would go to the next highest seniority person with days available.

We get guys that do this crap all year and then when it's time for hunting season and they want to take a bunch of days off to go kill Bambi all of a sudden the guy that took 4 months of Mondays off still has days available and makes it impossible for less senior drivers to get time off. I don't hunt so it doesn't bother me but it's the principle.

35years

Gravy route
I made that perfectly clear. Sup tried to pull my chain . I'm gonna pull his with a grievance and a call in.
You had better review that with your BA before proceeding.

A call in is fine. But the grievance would not fly here, and would only make the company, and the union set you straight.

The local and the company have undoubtedly dealt with this situation before. (senior employee has to change an unpaid request off to a paid day off to bump a junior employee's paid day off request).

Seniority in nearly all cases will be respected by the Union. The unpaid day off request by the senior employee will be viewed as conditional...If he needs to burn a paid day to claim the seniority right to the day off, he has the option. It is the way most centers work, and frankly it is the way that respects seniority. So a grievance would, at the most, formalize the local request procedure (management will then be required to ask every senior driver with an unpaid request off submitted if they want to change it to a paid before a less senior driver gets a paid day). This is probably already the case since your sup said they will make him burn a paid day. But the grievance will not result in the less senior driver getting the paid day before the more senior driver.

At the same time, by filing, you will be seen by the union as a guy who doesn't respect seniority, and by the company as someone who creates headaches for no reason.

Last edited:

GameCockFan

Here, in the Atlantic area, if you put in a vacation day or personal day and are forced to work when it otherwise should have been approved. i.e staffing issues you receive time and a half for all hours worked and keep the day for future use.

We get 5-sick days(8 hr days) that can be used one day at a time or scheduled as a vacation. 5-personal days(10 hr days) that likewise can be used one at a time or scheduled as another week of vacation and after 15yrs we can break up 1 vacation week(9hr days) to be taken one day at a time. Personal 8 days in advance. Vacation 7 days in advance and there is language about minimums to be allowed off each day.

I normally schedule 5- weeks during the summer and keep 15 single days to make a lot of long weekends. I'm on a four day run Tuesday-Friday so it works well for me. I'm surprised personal/vacation days are treated so differently in other supplements. I was in another area recently and the had a list up to sell vacation weeks back to the company. Don't take your vacation and get 60hrs straight time instead.

Here, in the Atlantic area, if you put in a vacation day or personal day and are forced to work when it otherwise should have been approved. i.e staffing issues you receive time and a half for all hours worked and keep the day for future use.

We get 5-sick days(8 hr days) that can be used one day at a time or scheduled as a vacation. 5-personal days(10 hr days) that likewise can be used one at a time or scheduled as another week of vacation and after 15yrs we can break up 1 vacation week(9hr days) to be taken one day at a time. Personal 8 days in advance. Vacation 7 days in advance and there is language about minimums to be allowed off each day.

I normally schedule 5- weeks during the summer and keep 15 single days to make a lot of long weekends. I'm on a four day run Tuesday-Friday so it works well for me. I'm surprised personal/vacation days are treated so differently in other supplements. I was in another area recently and the had a list up to sell vacation weeks back to the company. Don't take your vacation and get 60hrs straight time instead.
60 hours of pay still isn't enough to make me cash in my vacation but I know a few who would.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You had better review that with your BA before proceeding.

A call in is fine. But the grievance would not fly here, and would only make the company, and the union set you straight.

The local and the company have undoubtedly dealt with this situation before. (senior employee has to change an unpaid request off to a paid day off to bump a junior employee's paid day off request).

Seniority in nearly all cases will be respected by the Union. The unpaid day off request by the senior employee will be viewed as conditional...If he needs to burn a paid day to claim the seniority right to the day off, he has the option. It is the way most centers work, and frankly it is the way that respects seniority. So a grievance would, at the most, formalize the local request procedure (management will then be required to ask every senior driver with an unpaid request off submitted if they want to change it to a paid before a less senior driver gets a paid day). This is probably already the case since your sup said they will make him burn a paid day. But the grievance will not result in the less senior driver getting the paid day before the more senior driver.

At the same time, by filing, you will be seen by the union as a guy who doesn't respect seniority, and by the company as someone who creates headaches for no reason.
If the senior employee put in for a request off and his request for a paid day is now considered untimely than no he shouldn't be given the option the burn a paid day. He should be told we will see what staffing is that. Just like any other request off

Packmule

Official word from the union here is they have the right to deny due to staffing shortage. Hopefully I'll be retired before next contract time, but I intend to suggest to other drivers they press for better language on SDVs.
On another note, anyone know why they can't (or won't) start hiring and training replacements until after a retiree's vacations are used up? All the delay does is cause staffing shortages.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Official word from the union here is they have the right to deny due to staffing shortage. Hopefully I'll be retired before next contract time, but I intend to suggest to other drivers they press for better language on SDVs.
On another note, anyone know why they can't (or won't) start hiring and training replacements until after a retiree's vacations are used up? All the delay does is cause staffing shortages.
Do you have any SDV cover drivers?

Keeps them out of progression.