Situation about misloads.

laffter

It appears as though queen supervisor has indeed begun writing people up for misloads. But rather than a single misload, I guess it has to be multiple. She has also been writing up and "harassing" people over production. She is pushing her pt time sups to keep their belts clean, essentially forcing them to do union work.

What a glorious time this is.

CAFAL

UPS has you believing your accountable for a lot more than you are. Air commits tell your sup if you have problems with air. Del and pu times, your only accountable for starting them on time, you can't controll what happens after. Your not accountable for production, just methods. Being accountable for safety, service, and methods can usally be done by slowing down, and thinking ahead. It's your sups problem to take care of misloads, They have to notice extra miles and hours.

Idc whose problem it should be. If it's on my truck it's my problem. Im not going to screw the customers worrying about the whose problem is whose. Ups doesn't have me believing anything. It's called taking pride in your work

CAFAL

I loaded with charts and with PAL's. When you loaded with charts, the flow was half what it is now. You are welcome to come to Black River any day and, BTW, make sure you eat your wheaties. Don't shut the belt off, either. Warning letter for that. Oh, and the new hires are at the head of the belt. Sups are loading so no training is happening. Have fun loading 6 cars, plus pulling for the newbie ahead of you.

The flow is slower now with the extra time it takes to pal the boxes coming off the feeders. It's taking guys 15 mins longer to unload a truck. Training is definitely lacking,although you can't train stress management. This I think is key.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The flow is slower now with the extra time it takes to pal the boxes coming off the feeders. It's taking guys 15 mins longer to unload a truck. Training is definitely lacking,although you can't train stress management. This I think is key.
The flow is twice it was when I started. We were lucky to have 4 feeders. Now, it's 7 on an easy day. That's what I'm talking about. Not to mention, now some egg head who has no clue what the loop should be, is designing the pal loading.

ymelord

Idc whose problem it should be. If it's on my truck it's my problem. Im not going to screw the customers worrying about the whose problem is whose. Ups doesn't have me believing anything. It's called taking pride in your work
I don't screw my customers UPS screws my customers.

browniehound

Bank the 30 minutes of extra overtime each day and toddler can go to an ivy league school.

his grandparents are paying for college if he can make it. Don't care about the money I just want to see my kid. If you paid me $200/hour I would turn it down in lieu of seeing my baby for that hour. Its only money after all. It can be replaced very easily. Human life and childhood memories cannot however and this is what is PRICELESS!

browniehound

I do my best to focus on my work. Today, I loaded a package PAL'd to 7720 on truck A. I thought to myself, this looks very familiar, I had loaded a package just like it on Truck B. I went to Truck B and found it. Why the hell did I put it on that truck? I have no bloody idea. Today in particular I was trying extra hard to focus. Is it my fault? Of course. How do I correct it? I don't know.

I don't get 2-3 misloads a day. I also don't average 6 a week. Have I gotten 6 in one week before? Sure. It's not typical, though.

This full time sup was threatening to write people up for any misloads. Even one.

Laffter, I owe you an apology. After re-reading the thread I came off rather harsh and insulting while I meant to be neither. .

I'm just sick of getting misloads because there was a time I would get about 2 every year no matter which pull I was driving off of. This happened before the PAS/EDD system, so I split the blame pie 80% company/EDD system 20% preloader. They invented PAS so "anyone off of the street can come in and load any car". It was great in theory and is very true except for one thing. MISLOADS and lots of them. And not just grounds, its NDA, NDA saver, 2day, etc. I don't thing I ever had a NDA ML until PAS. Now, I've seen at least 100 since 2004.

Nobody has any knowlege anymore. Before PAS the preloader knew every street and break in the entire town. Now,they just look at the PAL and stick it where it says. NDA or not. JUst to make things EVEN better, UPS went to the ink stamps that are barely legible when printed on a clear surface. Put that stamp on the package where there is other things and the mark becomes "compromised" to put it lightly.

Now, the pre-loader is putting 3000's in the 8000's because the 3 was unreadible and looked like an 8, so its another missed because it was a business and not found until I was doing my house calls out of the 8000 section.

What I don't understand is having a 30-50 piece bulk stop loaded in section 6999, and the pre-loader saw 49 pieces with that address on it but took the 50th pieces and thought the PAL stamp was 3000 something and he loaded it there. Really guy? He saw the company name 49 other times when he loaded them correctly in section 6999, but had to study the PAL for the 50th because he couldn't quite make it out. Instead of looking at the actual package label he took a guess and threw it in the 3000 section.

Brilliant! However 95 of 100 preloaders would have loaded it correctly, so it proves what I'm dealing with here on a daily basis.

Thank you everyone for their time!

laffter

After this began, for a while I didn't have any misloads at all. Over the past week, I have gotten several.

Today, queen supervisor came over to my area with the steward. She wanted a signature on some paper to confirm that she had talked to me about the misloads. She told me that I can sign it myself, or the steward can sign it. While she was saying this, the steward, who was standing slightly behind her to the side, pointed to himself, suggesting that I should let him sign it. He then added that if I sign it myself, I am taking responsibility for the misloads, and that it can be used against me for future disciplinary action. The sup said that no disciplinary action will be taken... that they are trying to talk to us about this to reduce misloads. I would have RTS'd it anyway, if the steward wasn't present, so I let him sign.

I feel like our steward is indeed working in our best interest. From what I've read on this forum, some do not. I imagine that in some centers, the steward might even suggest that you sign it yourself. I was also surprised that the sup herself mentioned that the steward can sign the paper, and didn't try to push me into signing it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have no problem with the steward signing that a discussion occurred. That sounds like a wise steward. I am surprised about the sup, but your signature is moot. That's why I won't sign. As I say, if my signature means nothing, then there is no point in wasting the time or ink.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

The problem with such an attitude is it may just be unnecessarily hostile and will not lead to the situation improving. Yeah, the boss is horrible. Insisting on one's apparent right not to sign when no harm can come of it "just because" leads to more antagonism. It ultimately is not a battle worth fighting.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Laff, you said you recently had a stretch where you didn't have any misloads. Did anyone mention that to you? If not, did YOU point it out to your superiors, specifically the sup with whom you had the most trouble? Give her the idea that you are trying to implement "her suggestions (even if the "suggestion" was a vague "get you misloads down" with no real direction on how to do so). She may respect you more for it, and it could buy you some relief, as you get lumped in with those "who seem to care". Continue to do your best, but let em okow you are trying to be better. Sometimes they, nay, people in general appreciate the effort.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The problem with such an attitude is it may just be unnecessarily hostile and will not lead to the situation improving. Yeah, the boss is horrible. Insisting on one's apparent right not to sign when no harm can come of it "just because" leads to more antagonism. It ultimately is not a battle worth fighting.
I don't argue it. I am more than helpful to management. Hell, I ran preload for three months when we didn't have a sup. the center manager asked for a favor, and I obliged. I, simply, will not just hand out my John Hancock to/for just anything. I was raised by a Business Agent. I know better than to sign just because it's easier than saying, very politely, 'I'm sorry, but I can't sign anything. My BA will be happy to oblige.". (or something to that effect)

laffter

Laff, you said you recently had a stretch where you didn't have any misloads. Did anyone mention that to you? If not, did YOU point it out to your superiors, specifically the sup with whom you had the most trouble? Give her the idea that you are trying to implement "her suggestions (even if the "suggestion" was a vague "get you misloads down" with no real direction on how to do so). She may respect you more for it, and it could buy you some relief, as you get lumped in with those "who seem to care". Continue to do your best, but let em okow you are trying to be better. Sometimes they, nay, people in general appreciate the effort.

I felt like the less I talked to her about it, on the spot, the better. I could have started going on about how there are often stretches of time where I get no misloads. There are days where I'm positive I got some. I come in and ask my sup, straight up, how many did I get. 0. Ok... Then there are days where I focus really hard, and I'm certain I didn't get any. I come in to see that I got 3. I don't understand why it happens. But if I had mentioned all of this to her, wouldn't that be an admission of guilt, so to speak? Particularly since a third party, the steward, was there to witness it.

There are various methods that sups have tried to employ in an attempt to reduce misloads. Verifying that the address labels and PALs match will only reduce Bad Pal and Out of Sync misloads. My old sup, one day, told us to call out the name of the car before you stepped foot into it. I don't see how THAT one helps at all, when the stack in my hands contains packages for truck A, A, A, and B. Why is B in the stack? Because when I was making the stack, my eyes saw B and my brain told me A. That's probably 50% of my misloads right there... crap like that.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The best thing I found was to hang the lane #'s(or whatever) over the bulkhead door facing the back and one hanging from a shelf. It's not foolproof, but it helped me a lot.