Situation about misloads.

laffter

The best thing I found was to hang the lane #'s(or whatever) over the bulkhead door facing the back and one hanging from a shelf. It's not foolproof, but it helped me a lot.

Do you mean the route name? We have placards hanging at the back, yes, and sometimes one hanging down the middle, inside.

Macbrother

There are various methods that sups have tried to employ in an attempt to reduce misloads. Verifying that the address labels and PALs match will only reduce Bad Pal and Out of Sync misloads. My old sup, one day, told us to call out the name of the car before you stepped foot into it. I don't see how THAT one helps at all, when the stack in my hands contains packages for truck A, A, A, and B. Why is B in the stack? Because when I was making the stack, my eyes saw B and my brain told me A. That's probably 50% of my misloads right there... crap like that.

I call out the numbers, either out loud or in my head. This helps me for a few reasons. One, it instantly helps me walk into the right truck, and two, it confirms to me that I have matched the right package with the right truck. Even if, for instance, I bring four packages into a truck (3 for A, 1 for B, like you said) I will place my finger on the PAL and call out each one then load it. A, A, A, B, I will know the former is not right and leave the truck with it. Placing my finger on the label kinda focuses my eyes to zero in on it, and calling out leaves it fresh in my memory. I will also re-check the label once it's loaded, so I know with certainty what package I've just placed. As I exit the truck I will often shoot my eyes to the bay number posted outside of the truck, so I know what I just placed matches the truck I left. As menotyou mentioned inner bay numbers are nice too, I like to place them on the ceiling, in the center, and use it as reference as well.

Now, checking and re-checking will slow you down slightly, but not so much that you can't complete your work on time. It's much more important that you reduce misloads than work like a speed demon; for yourself, management, and the drivers.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Do you mean the route name? We have placards hanging at the back, yes, and sometimes one hanging down the middle, inside.
We have lane numbers. Actual numbers painted on the concrete that you back your truck up to match. Last route I had was lane 35. I backed into that lane every night and my packages all had lane 35-xxxx or 35-xxx.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Talk to your shop steward, I have not loaded in years however they tried that then too. They can do whatever they want, its up to you and all of us to show them they can't. I personaly R.T.S. everything, and file a grevence if you are given a warreing letter. I would always use "you cant prove I was the one that misloaded that package" because they can't when it comes to misloads.

Even signing R.T.S is still signing there piece of paper.. you don't have to sign anything that is not required by law.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I don't understand why it is such a big yank? If I don't want to sign, and something comes of it, I will deal with it.

kingOFchester

And, my drivers knew to look at the rdr's and rdl's. I was notorious for mixing those up. Slightly dyslexic, I guess.

I had a driver that would come in almost every morning and say "hold up your left hand.....now hold up your right hand." I would do as asked to which he would say "you know your left and right, so why are you always mixing up the RDL and RDR?". I told him when I was in the truck looking out, I was putting them on the correct side.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I had a driver that would come in almost every morning and say "hold up your left hand.....now hold up your right hand." I would do as asked to which he would say "you know your left and right, so why are you always mixing up the RDL and RDR?". I told him when I was in the truck looking out, I was putting them on the correct side.
Nice!!!

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I can certainly understand why one would think avoiding all talk on a subject is the best course, like how it is "admitting" there is a problem, but with the myriads of reports available, she's already aware there is a problem. Now, how to fix that problem? Sups are used to employees being uncaring and antagonistic, and thus prepare to respond in kind, or far too often even preemptively. If they get the notion that you really care about the work, they may be more willing to cut you some slack and help.

Another thing: if you have a regular pull have you introduced yourself to your drivers yet? When i was a rookie loader, I did just that. However, I had trouble adjusting, and soon had the center manager yelling in my face and saying all sorts of things to me. However, it was my drivers who stood up to the center manager on my behalf. The center manager actually apologized to me, they rearranged my cars to allow me to have a more optimal load, and my time at UPS greatly improved. The same drivers who cam into work to poor loads everyday (at least in the beginning), and probably had tons of misloads, got the impression I was an ok guy because I introduced myself to them. I'd recommend every preloader do the same.

laffter

I can certainly understand why one would think avoiding all talk on a subject is the best course, like how it is "admitting" there is a problem, but with the myriads of reports available, she's already aware there is a problem. Now, how to fix that problem? Sups are used to employees being uncaring and antagonistic, and thus prepare to respond in kind, or far too often even preemptively. If they get the notion that you really care about the work, they may be more willing to cut you some slack and help.

Another thing: if you have a regular pull have you introduced yourself to your drivers yet? When i was a rookie loader, I did just that. However, I had trouble adjusting, and soon had the center manager yelling in my face and saying all sorts of things to me. However, it was my drivers who stood up to the center manager on my behalf. The center manager actually apologized to me, they rearranged my cars to allow me to have a more optimal load, and my time at UPS greatly improved. The same drivers who cam into work to poor loads everyday (at least in the beginning), and probably had tons of misloads, got the impression I was an ok guy because I introduced myself to them. I'd recommend every preloader do the same.

Every car I have loaded, I've known the drivers. I would talk to them and they would talk to me. In my old area, I had a bid route that was always driven by the same four drivers. They all loved the way it was loaded, and some of them would let management know that. Every time I am moved to another area, the drivers from that previous area were unhappy. The management that are in a position to know, do know that I am doing something right when it comes to loading. Queen supervisor, on the other hand, is new to her position, and may or may not know. I'm pretty sure she is treating everybody equally.

Generally, management does work with me. The area I'm in now, they moved one of the routes and gave me an easier one, because that route was causing problems for me. On light days, I'll often only have two routes to load. Someone up there likes me.

I'm not concerned about the quality of my loading. But I've gotten misloads (not daily) since I started, and I still continue to get them. Because drivers compliment my work (I assume), and because of my competency in being able to "handle" my area (keep things organized) no matter how heavy it gets, I've always been left alone about the misloads. 'till this woman came along.

I'm not worried.

Indecisi0n

Every car I have loaded, I've known the drivers. I would talk to them and they would talk to me. In my old area, I had a bid route that was always driven by the same four drivers. They all loved the way it was loaded, and some of them would let management know that. Every time I am moved to another area, the drivers from that previous area were unhappy. The management that are in a position to know, do know that I am doing something right when it comes to loading. Queen supervisor, on the other hand, is new to her position, and may or may not know. I'm pretty sure she is treating everybody equally.

Generally, management does work with me. The area I'm in now, they moved one of the routes and gave me an easier one, because that route was causing problems for me. On light days, I'll often only have two routes to load. Someone up there likes me.

I'm not concerned about the quality of my loading. But I've gotten misloads (not daily) since I started, and I still continue to get them. Because drivers compliment my work (I assume), and because of my competency in being able to "handle" my area (keep things organized) no matter how heavy it gets, I've always been left alone about the misloads. 'till this woman came along.

I'm not worried.

If drivers really like the way you are loading they can submit a letter to their manager with your name on it and a positive note on how you are doing your job. The note is then put in your file.