Six weeks!!!

F

Frankie's Friend

I might try and incorporate that one, if I can remember it!
20180619_215141.jpg

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Bro Dude Homey Bro Dude Homey Bro Dude Homey... Where you gonna be watchin' the show from in 6 weeks? Hey..whatever happens, just keep the pension comin' ok? That Geritol ain't cheap you know.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I read a post about UPS drivers making more than police, firefighters, teachers; that's wrong and ridiculous in this area. My mother was a teacher in a medium size city making $41/hr in 2016 when she retired, and wasn't the highest paid. She also had summers off and banked over 200 sick days over 25 years, or nearly a years pay.

F

Frankie's Friend

I read a post about UPS drivers making more than police, firefighters, teachers; that's wrong and ridiculous in this area. My mother was a teacher in a medium size city making $41/hr in 2016 when she retired, and wasn't the highest paid. She also had summers off and banked over 200 sick days over 25 years, or nearly a years pay.
Evidently she liked her job.

IzzyTheNose

Eh, depending on where you live, cops can make as much as 90k a year. That can go even higher, if you make detective, or you move up in rank. And don't forget you can retire after 20 years. It's a dangerous job, no doubt, but cops aren't exactly surviving on ramen and PB&J's. Also, it's incredibly difficult for a teacher to lose his/her job, so the job security is phenomenal.

I don't like comparing jobs and salaries for the simple fact that just because what we do isn't as noble as policing, firefighting or teaching, doesn't mean we shouldn't be compensated well for what we do, or even more so than those professions. It might not be noble work, but it's hard, and just because you're a firefighter, cop or teacher, doesn't mean you would be able to carve out a career working for Brown. Everyone is different.

refineryworker05

I used to be in two unions, the Brotherhood of Railroad signalmen, and USW when I was an outside operator at a refinery. I now work as a console supervisor/board operator at the same refinery.

At the railroad, we worked years without a contract because Congress/Federal government said that railroad workers are too vital to the nation's economy and they will not allow us to strike.

So railroad companies have no real incentive to keep contracts current. So to me it is clear that the threat of a strike can be a motivator for companies to negotiate union contracts in good faith.

But I will say one of the things I disliked about being in the USW was that our contract negotiations always came down to the last minute, and it was a little unclear what the issues of contention were.

I was never a huge union guy, even though I support unions in general, but one of the things I really really disliked was the fact that contract negotiations always came down to the wire. It seemed so unnecessary to me.

I never knew if it was the company or the union or both that always forced these negotiations down to the wire.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Eh, depending on where you live, cops can make as much as 90k a year. That can go even higher, if you make detective, or you move up in rank. And don't forget you can retire after 20 years. It's a dangerous job, no doubt, but cops aren't exactly surviving on ramen and PB&J's. Also, it's incredibly difficult for a teacher to lose his/her job, so the job security is phenomenal.

I don't like comparing jobs and salaries for the simple fact that just because what we do isn't as noble as policing, firefighting or teaching, doesn't mean we shouldn't be compensated well for what we do, or even more so than those professions. It might not be noble work, but it's hard, and just because you're a firefighter, cop or teacher, doesn't mean you would be able to carve out a career working for Brown. Everyone is different.
My point was that those CAREERS all are in the ballpark, if not pay more than UPS package driving or feeder driving. Plus, you're doing something "noble" as you call it, rather than be the garbage man. And sure they may be dangerous from time to time, you aren't breaking down your body on a minute to minute basis doing labor. Plus, you are treated like a valuable human being, rather than viewed as a piece of dirt.

Only people trying to justify their fragile egos with delusions would compare themselves with actual careers. :D

F

Frankie's Friend

My point was that those CAREERS all are in the ballpark, if not pay more than UPS package driving or feeder driving. Plus, you're doing something "noble" as you call it, rather than be the garbage man. And sure they may be dangerous from time to time, you aren't breaking down your body on a minute to minute basis doing labor. Plus, you are treated like a valuable human being, rather than viewed as a piece of dirt.

Only people trying to justify their fragile egos with delusions would compare themselves with actual careers. :D
I believe that choosing to be in a law enforcement, teaching, or nursing field (amongst other careers similar in service to others) is motivated mostly from the heart.

IMO staying a upser is mostly about the money and used to be also about a pension after all your hard work is done. Yes, we have relationships with customers because of our importance in their business and we see many of the same residences on a weekly basis but over the years i personally have felt that I'm no longer a part of a 'team' (the feeling they portray when you're first hired in) and now just a delivery robot they'll discard when I'm broken.

Pay me, push me and three decades later you'll forget all about me.

Lot of satisfaction in that? Motivating people on a personal level? Sure.

One thing about cops...
at least they're on paid leave when they're under investigation.

I guess we're more dangerous than that.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King

I'm still recovering in therapy because my fragile ego could not accept that what I did for 30 years wasn't an actual career. Maybe someday the emotional toll that had on me will be lifted. "Your death therapy cured me, your death therapy cured me !! Dr.Leo Marvin !!"
Man you are piece of work.

brown_trousers

Its not that we are overpaid, its that everyone else is underpaid

TheFigurehead

Exactly. It's the exact same situation at UPS. One the whole, the pay is low for the average teacher... but not for a tenured teacher with 25 years under their belt. How many teachers are in that position, though? Not many. At UPS, the average worker is not a top rate driver with 20 years at the company. Certainly our long term drivers are paid very well... but your average employee is a 20 year old kid making $11/hr with no benefits who has been there less than a year. On the whole, UPS employees are underpaid, regardless of the outliers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Exactly. It's the exact same situation at UPS. One the whole, the pay is low for the average teacher... but not for a tenured teacher with 25 years under their belt. How many teachers are in that position, though? Not many. At UPS, the average worker is not a top rate driver with 20 years at the company. Certainly our long term drivers are paid very well... but your average employee is a 20 year old kid making $11/hr with no benefits who has been there less than a year. On the whole, UPS employees are underpaid, regardless of the outliers.
The beginning teacher with a Bachelors degree is making at least 25 /hr in that city. She has a masters degree plus a good amount of extra credentials, not enough juice for V.P. but not far. Her hourly rate would have been somewhere around 43/hr in 2018. That is one locale, but just 'sayin, when you work for brown for a long time it's easy to lose perspective on what's going on elsewhere.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm still recovering in therapy because my fragile ego could not accept that what I did for 30 years wasn't an actual career. Maybe someday the emotional toll that had on me will be lifted. "Your death therapy cured me, your death therapy cured me !! Dr.Leo Marvin !!"
Man you are piece of work.
You would have impacted and changed more lives for the better had you been emptying dumpsters for waste management ;)