sleeper team pay

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
Yep, I still don't think they know what the :censored2: their talking about, they have never showed us any proff that they paid anyone wrong, just said, hey we screwed up and we want our money back...

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
I talked with a shop steward again today and she told me their is a provision in this contract that all new hires pay should be based off of the 1997 contract. Lets hope that gets changed in the next contract...

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
I didn't see her yesterday, but I looked through my book and found it. It was under full time wage progression. The last sentence said "All full time new hire pay, shall be based on the rate effect July 31 2002. That was the last day of the old contract.

They have been paying hourly under that rate but the mileage was being payed at the rate effective Aug. 1 2002.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
Company has told the union this is a mistake that has cost the company 3 million so far..

I bid a yard job, and won't run mileage until this is fixed and taken care of. I taked to a guy yesterday that is still getting paid the wrong amount. When they figured it all out they started paying us the right amount for a few weeks then they went back to the wrong amount. He went to payroll to ask about it, and their attitude is "oh well".

beentheredonethat

some finance guy will get shot over this one.

Tie, Years ago I did payroll, Back when each district had their own payroll. We then switched to a region consolidation then to what we have now. I keep up here and there to see what's going on. But this 3 million overpay is nothing compared to the screwups they have. I did ask why it is so bad. I got the usual UPS logic. Not enough people to have good controls in place. But, we can't put more because it's too hard to train and the main reason is that it would cost too much. It amazes me how bad payroll got. Now I know payroll never had a great rap before. But in all seriousness, well over 80% of the errors in the payroll were due to time card errors on the OR and\or paperwork for funeral pay etc never being submitted to payroll.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
If you still want the article number for reference, it is Article 41 Section 2.

Qouted from Article.
  1. All Supplements, Riders or Addenda will contain the following wage progression schedule to cover all full-time employees, except apprentices, who are in the progression as of August 1, 2002 or who enter a full-time job after August 1, 2002 other than package, feeder, air, or one covered by Section 3 below.

The rate in effect on July 31, 2002 will be used to calculate the progression rates for the life of this Agreement.
  1. Rate in Effect
    on July 31, 2002
Start 70%
Seniority 75%
Seniority date plus one (1) year 80%
Seniority date plus eighteen (18) months 90%
Seniority date plus two (2) years Top Rate

1. Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 1997 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment, will be paid their current wage rate until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

When a part-time employee bids to a full-time classification where the top rate of the full-time classification is less than his/her current rate, the employee shall be placed at the top rate of the new classification immediately.
  2. No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole exception is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break in rate equal to the employee's current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.
  1. The progression for employees entering a package car driving or feeder position after August 1, 2002 shall be as follows:
  1. Start $14.70
Seniority $15.75
Twelve (12) months $16.80
Twenty-four (24) months $18.90
Thirty (30) months (current top rate)

1. Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2002 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment as a package or feeder driver will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

If a part-time employee bids to a feeder or a package car driver position and the top rate of the classification is less that his/her current rate, the employee shall be placed at the top rate of the new classification immediately.

Last edited:
P

premium service driver

I am also caught up in this Sleeper Team pay progresion confusion. Here are some facts that may help. You are no longer classified as a Feeder Driver wich is where I think the company is making a mistake regarding your pay rate. (Article 43 setion 2 classifys you as a Premium Service Driver). So when you look at Article 41 section 2 that pay rate is not what we should be getting paid by. Article 43 section 11 only states to use the proggression in Article 41 section 2. It's very clear to use the milage rates set forth below in Article 43 line 11, mileage rates for Premium Service Drivers are found in Article 43 section 3. Remember it only asks you to go back and get progression not mileage rates. We have prepared a greivance explaining this and hope the Joint Premium Service Review Committee will review this and settle this matter at it's next meeting.

Teamster251

PSST Drvr Local 251 PRORI
If you still want the article number for reference, it is Article 41 Section 2.

Qouted from Article.
  1. All Supplements, Riders or Addenda will contain the following wage progression schedule to cover all full-time employees, except apprentices, who are in the progression as of August 1, 2002 or who enter a full-time job after August 1, 2002 other than package, feeder, air, or one covered by Section 3 below.

The rate in effect on July 31, 2002 will be used to calculate the progression rates for the life of this Agreement.
  1. Rate in Effect
    on July 31, 2002
Start 70%
Seniority 75%
Seniority date plus one (1) year 80%
Seniority date plus eighteen (18) months 90%
Seniority date plus two (2) years Top Rate

1. Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 1997 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment, will be paid their current wage rate until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

When a part-time employee bids to a full-time classification where the top rate of the full-time classification is less than his/her current rate, the employee shall be placed at the top rate of the new classification immediately.
  2. No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole exception is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break in rate equal to the employee's current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.
  1. The progression for employees entering a package car driving or feeder position after August 1, 2002 shall be as follows:
  1. Start $14.70
Seniority $15.75
Twelve (12) months $16.80
Twenty-four (24) months $18.90
Thirty (30) months (current top rate)

1. Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2002 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment as a package or feeder driver will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

If a part-time employee bids to a feeder or a package car driver position and the top rate of the classification is less that his/her current rate, the employee shall be placed at the top rate of the new classification immediately.

Read the first paragraph carefully.

This pertains to feeder drivers.

If you hold a sleeper team bid you have been reclassified as a Premuim Service Driver.
Article 43 Section 1.

This is where the confusion lies.

Article 43 Section 2 Para 11 pertians to new hires in the sleeper team operation

It quotes rates used to pay new hires in Article 43 section 3.

I have a two page greivance prepared.

If anyone would like to view it and use it to greive their postion, PM me and I'll send you a copy.

I leave toinght on my run and will return Thrusday night. If I don't get right back to you you should have it by Friday.

We need a BA with balls to push this greivance forward. UPS is using these new hires and paying them inferior rates. Hell non unions don't even work for 39 cents a mile.

And for those of you that have something to say about us hired off the street, we are Teamster first.....think about it.

T251

Last edited:

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
If you read article 43, section 2 number 11, it states that all new hires will be paid the progression based on article 41 section 2.

amclain

PHP:
Hired off the street? Consider yourself lucky, by your post I couldn't confirm if you are in the union. It takes most UPS package drivers at least 10 years of senortiy to get into feeder in these parts. As for sleeper pay its a bunch of b.s. I was forced on sleeper for three weeks and I don't think its worth it to me. Had my first back problem ever after those 7 to10 hours marathon drives(stopped to urinate sometimes guy in sleeper berth used a bottle). They have you for 72-84 hrs(not including presonal prep time) any you get 1400-2000$ depending on the route.That divdes out to an average of roughly 22 -23 dollars an hour you go ahead not me if I can help it. Good luck with your complaint.
Article 41 describes the time period a full-time employee hired/bid after August 2002 for Feeder/Package, Inside or 22.3 employees.
Article 43 states a Sleeper Team driver employee under wages progression Sec. 2 (11) Sec. 3 rates. So, if you are not being paid accordingly to those Articles file a damn grievance.

Teamster251

If you read article 43, section 2 number 11, it states that all new hires will be paid the progression based on article 41 section 2.

STL first read Article 43 section 1. READ the whole thing
It describes a new job classifaction.

The company is neglecting to classify new hires and seems to think they =can just pay them as Feeder driver when accordsing to ART 43 SEC 1 they are PSDs (Premium Services Drivers).

Now you've read Art 43 Section 2 Para 11 but you failed to finish wha the sentence says.

The WHOLE paragraphan reads as follows:

All newe hires will be paid in accordance with the progression set forth in Article 41 Section 2 as applied to the mileage rates set forth below.

When interpting contractual language you must read the entire sentence and paragragh not just he parts that trip your trigger.

Article 43 Sec 1 Decsribes the new classifaction.
Article 43 Section 2 Para 11 describes new hire rate for new classication.
Article 43 Section 3 list those rates.

Again re-read Article 43 Section 2 paragragh 11, it states rates will be determined on the progressiion set forth.
What is the progression.
It the percentage increases and the percentages only.

Para 11 does not states that Article 41 Section applies. If it stated that it applies then we would have to adhere by waht the WHOLE Article 41 Section 2 describes.

The company is failing to recognize the new classsifaction becuase they know they will have to pay.

A grievance has been submitted. I am waiting for an answer for my BA. It may take a few weeks.

Also for those of you that don't know there is an 8 page addendum to Article 43 that is the Guidleines set up by the committee.

I have a link for that addendum and will find and post it tomorrow.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
Anyone who runs mileage is considered a premium service driver. Sleeper teams are not different. They get the 2 cents extra per mile.

According to the language in the contract, you should be paid the progression set in article 41, based on rates lited below. Article 41 states the rate in effect on 7/31/02. The big problem here is that they didn't list that rate in Article 43. This is going to be a hell of a grievance and I hope they are found to be wrong. There is alot of money on the line here.

Teamster251

Anyone who runs mileage is considered a premium service driver. Sleeper teams are not different. They get the 2 cents extra per mile.

According to the language in the contract, you should be paid the progression set in article 41, based on rates lited below. Article 41 states the rate in effect on 7/31/02. The big problem here is that they didn't list that rate in Article 43. This is going to be a hell of a grievance and I hope they are found to be wrong. There is alot of money on the line here.

STL, I'm not being picky but your post is a little twisted or the fact that you blending the article together may be distorting your thinking.

Please don't get me wrong, I not bashing you brother I just trying to make you see (and others) the contract as it's written.

First of all, Running mileage as a City pair, Layover or Sleeper Team are considered as a Premium Service Driver as outlined in Article 43 Section 1. The problem is the company is not recognizing the new classifaction which would change the payroll structure for that classifaction. It is clearly spelled out in Article 43, Sec 1, Sec 2 Para 11 and Sec 3.

You state, "According to langauge in the contract, you should be paid the progression in Art 41 based on the rates listed below. Article 41 states the rate in effect on 7/31/02."

You have two articles mixed together here.

Again, Article 43 Section 2 Para 11 reads as folows:

(11) All new hires will be paid in accordance with the progression set forth in Article 41, Section 2 as applied to the mileage rates set forth below.

It does not state that Article 41 Section 2 applies, it says use the progression. Progression and rate are two differernt things, progresion rate in its self is another thing entirely.

The mileage rates set forth below are plainly listed in Article 43 Section 3 (directly below Article 43, sec 2 para 11).

Contracts are set up chronelogically any article that uses the phrase "set forth below" can not be mistaken for a terms listed in a previous article unless is specifaclly applied or intended in writting to be used.
A contract is a document that starts from the top and finsihes at the bottom, reguardless of the number of pages. "Set forth below", pertains to langauge under that phrase.

Art 43 sec 2 para 11 stated that he progression should be used not the rate or progression rate. This is the difference many are confusing and hopefully will be heard in front of a board to determine it's outcome.

Let me add, there is a huge key phrase in the last paragraph of Article 43 Section 1 Para 3, that pertains to Sleeper Teams.

The wages and other ecomonic terms of employement for such sleeper teams shall be set forth below.

Those terms are are set forth below in Article 43, Sec 2, para 11 and Article 43 , Sec 3

Don't jump around when reading the contract, don't mix up phrases, or blend Articles together, you'll be laughed out of the building if it gets to a hearing.

If the greivance doesn't go forward then the Premium Services Committe needs to review its addendum pertaining to this topic agian at it next meeting or it will have huge problem of finding drivers to implentemnt it next phase of the Fast Lane Enhancement.

I'm not filing this greivance on my behalf I'm filing it on the behalf of all those involved.

If anyone would like a copy of the greivance to file on their behalf I would be glad to forward a copy to you.

Later T251

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
Trust me, I wish you the best. I owe them almost a grand myself. Remember anyone who runs mileage is a premium service driver. You can take the writing in the contract both ways. I am just saying, I hope for the best but expect the worst.

S

Sorry

Not to rain on your parade, but (Article 43 Section 11: All new hires will be paid in accordance with the progression set forth in Article 41, Section 2 as applied to the mileage rates set forth below.) is stating that a new hire running premium service (mileage), that their mileage rate will be the percentage where they fall in Article 41 Section 2 progression, multiplied by the mileage full progression rate stated.

As an analogy: new hire premium service driver getting top mileage rate immediately as to new hire full-time employee getting top rate immediately.

Teamster251

Not to rain on your parade, but (Article 43 Section 11: All new hires will be paid in accordance with the progression set forth in Article 41, Section 2 as applied to the mileage rates set forth below.) is stating that a new hire running premium service (mileage), that their mileage rate will be the percentage where they fall in Article 41 Section 2 progression, multiplied by the mileage full progression rate stated.

As an analogy: new hire premium service driver getting top mileage rate immediately as to new hire full-time employee getting top rate immediately.

First of all there is no Section 11 in Article 43. You are quoting Art 43 Sec 2 para 11. Might sound picky but list that in a greivance and you'd by wrong from the beginning.

No one here said we were trying to get full rate without going thru progression.

What we are trying to accomplish is having the company pay us the rates in Article 43 Section 3 based on our progression. And not the rate in Article 41 Section 2.

Some areas are paying different rates, some based on July 31 2002 rates other freezing the 2005 rates (like East New England) and not giving the August rate raise or adhering to the two year progresssion instead applying the thirty month progression.

Then you got NNJ trying to create a new seniority list with PSDs seperate from Feeder or Package.

The company is not on the same page even between areas.

The purpose of the greivance is to bring to the company's attention to the proper rate to be paid to new hires in progression. And to pay all the same across the country.