Sleeper team transparency

Long story short, I went from first day on preload to feeder and now sleeper team in a little over 4 year at the company. In that time I became a steward when I was a package car driver for various reason. Now I try to be as active as a sleeper team member can be ( it can be difficult when you are only at the hub for literally 3 hours a week ). I was always told about the mythical and mystical sleeper teams and what they do and what they get paid it you would think these people live in Fort Knox or something because they were nowhere to be found. I figured I can’t be the only one in that situation so I figured some transparency could do everybody some good.

To anyone that has any questions about anything please let me know.

Attachments

• 5C64D4C1-9525-47CE-ACCF-86CCE6AC5BF1.jpeg
    5C64D4C1-9525-47CE-ACCF-86CCE6AC5BF1.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 231

tadpole

That and probably trying to brag a little.
haha, BINGO!

All personal info has been cropped. Unless I missed something.
I'm just pulling your chain. But dude your paycheck is a confusing one to post as an example. Wouldn't it have been better to show a full weeks worth of work, not 26 hours?

I am curious, why are there so many different hourly pay rates and milage pay rates?

Tanktoptony

Mileage rate for doubles and triples and regular rate for single trailer, per diem based on 35$ per 1000 miles driven he’s paid half miles driven split with his team driver. So he’s driving about 5700 miles per week and paid based on 2857 broken up by what types of trailers they pull. Delay time is paid as well that’s the only hourly rate. Wouldn’t be surprised if they drive almost 5 full days during a week

Long story short, I went from first day on preload to feeder and now sleeper team in a little over 4 year at the company. In that time I became a steward when I was a package car driver for various reason. Now I try to be as active as a sleeper team member can be ( it can be difficult when you are only at the hub for literally 3 hours a week ). I was always told about the mythical and mystical sleeper teams and what they do and what they get paid it you would think these people live in Fort Knox or something because they were nowhere to be found. I figured I can’t be the only one in that situation so I figured some transparency could do everybody some good.

To anyone that has any questions about anything please let me know.
You better bump up your 401k

Nah
Seriously though, congrats on finding a job at UPS you like.

I don't know if a lot of people really want to go into sleepers. Between the time away from home and having to trust another driver and all. I'm curious how you deal with that.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Seriously though, congrats on finding a job at UPS you like.

I don't know if a lot of people really want to go into sleepers. Between the time away from home and having to trust another driver and all. I'm curious how you deal with that.

I may be singing a different tune when I’m older. But I’d rather just do 60 hours in a package car.

So this week was a little confusing if you didn’t know the route. I worked “extra work” on Tuesday morning before my sleeper run, and Saturday after as well. Basically you can bookend the run if that makes sense. Essentially I can come in work before my run then when I “ start” my sleeper run and I go to sleep. When we get back to our home domicile I have been in the berth (off duty) for 10 hours also. I got a mileage run that Saturday (558 miles, the 1.3918 row) at miles and a half pulling a single trailer. The 8 hours and 3.92 hours are my Tuesday extra work. The .9479 row is straight miles for the first part of my sleeper run as well as the 40.24 on road delay. The 1.4218 row is the miles I turned after 00:01 which started sleeper miles and a half. The 60.36 is both sleeper delay and Saturday extra work day delay time paid at OT. Then there is the $.035 per diem. It’s a little confusing I know that’s why I wanted to post this in the first place.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
So this week was a little confusing if you didn’t know the route. I worked “extra work” on Tuesday morning before my sleeper run, and Saturday after as well. Basically you can bookend the run if that makes sense. Essentially I can come in work before my run then when I “ start” my sleeper run and I go to sleep. When we get back to our home domicile I have been in the berth (off duty) for 10 hours also. I got a mileage run that Saturday (558 miles, the 1.3918 row) at miles and a half pulling a single trailer. The 8 hours and 3.92 hours are my Tuesday extra work. The .9479 row is straight miles for the first part of my sleeper run as well as the 40.24 on road delay. The 1.4218 row is the miles I turned after 00:01 which started sleeper miles and a half. The 60.36 is both sleeper delay and Saturday extra work day delay time paid at OT. Then there is the $.035 per diem. It’s a little confusing I know that’s why I wanted to post this in the first place.
People tend to ruin good things by talking too much.

Hope this helps.

haha, BINGO!

I'm just pulling your chain. But dude your paycheck is a confusing one to post as an example. Wouldn't it have been better to show a full weeks worth of work, not 26 hours?

I am curious, why are there so many different hourly pay rates and milage pay rates?
That is a full week but I’m not paid at just hourly rate. I do extra work on top of just my mileage run. It’s about 77 hours from clock in to clock out for just the sleeper run. I work extra before and after. I clocked 26 hours of pay when being paid by the hour, the rest is mileage

trickpony1

That is a full week but I’m not paid at just hourly rate. I do extra work on top of just my mileage run. It’s about 77 hours from clock in to clock out for just the sleeper run. I work extra before and after. I clocked 26 hours of pay when being paid by the hour, the rest is mileage
Who has a need to know this?

Confidentally helping.

Cowboy Mac

Who has a need to know this?

Confidentally helping.
It’s interesting to me. I’ve been curious about sleeper runs for a while. How they work, how you get one, what the pay is like, etc.
I definitely have some outside accounts. I appreciate the simplicity of the prudential options of the Roth and traditional 401k and the morningside target date accounts through the teamsters but I use vanguard and Edward Jones and they almost always beat my teamsters Roth account no matter how I set it up.
The 401K is not even Prudential anymore. They got bought out by some other company.

It’s interesting to me. I’ve been curious about sleeper runs for a while. How they work, how you get one, what the pay is like, etc.

The 401K is not even Prudential anymore. They got bought out by some other company.
Ask away. Basically the contract states that loads will be taken off the rail ( For example Ontario California to Jacksonville Florida use to go on a train for some if not all of the trip) well now it’s going to be takes by ups via a sleeper team that runs there and probably a few other places on the way back. I was able to luck out and partnered with someone who had more seniority than me. In our supplement it’s the high seniority guy can pick whatever full timer and they now have their seniority. If I do just my roughly 4600 mile sleeper run with the delay time we get it’s usually around $2700 for 75ish hours clocked in. Averaging 38 hours actually behind the wheel and working ( fueling, drop and hook trailers calling dispatch etc.)

Good to know on the retirement side. Was never a fan of how locked down that money was once it went into those accounts. Basically it’s get fired or lose your house before they even start paperwork