Sleeper Teams cut???

raceanoncr

I've been told that some of the Team runs will be cut and some will be modified. Looks like they are combining parts of two of them to make one and reduce the number of teams and kick those that had their runs cut back to the brown truck. Is this happening all over the country or is it only here in Georgia?
They did that to us last year during peak and I think the grievances are still going through the system. Haven't heard if they are doing it again this year.

When in sleeper team here, notice, I said HERE, the company was not gonna cut our run during peak but merely hire contractors to run close, runs that we could make within the hours we had available after our usual sleeper run.

We said we'd file if they did and didn't allow us to run the extras. They fought and kicked and screamed but all the years we were on sleeper team, we ran, at least 4 weeks of peak extras. There is no peak moratorium on contract violations.

File if your run is cut and given to contractors. File if you have the hours to run extras plus your normal run and they are given to contractors. File if you are cut and have to go to package so a seasonal can work. Sure, you may not win today or tomorrow but you WILL win. Be patient.

Let me make clear, tho, if your run is being cut or downsized just because of a reorganization of routes, you may not have a case. The company does have a right to run a business if no contract violation occurs.

GenericUsername

The guy sounds like an idiot if you ask me.

Is he though? Maybe he's not looking to stick around for 25 years. Perhaps he just wants to be around 15 or so, make the 150k(ish)/year for a few years and put it into a business venture? Maybe he's financing an absurd car hobby he's always wanted to do and is going to bid off his route as soon as he has enough money to do what he wants?

In your eyes it could be idiotic but there may be reasoning behind his craziness.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Is he though? Maybe he's not looking to stick around for 25 years. Perhaps he just wants to be around 15 or so, make the 150k(ish)/year for a few years and put it into a business venture? Maybe he's financing an absurd car hobby he's always wanted to do and is going to bid off his route as soon as he has enough money to do what he wants?

In your eyes it could be idiotic but there may be reasoning behind his craziness.
You can never undo the wear and tear.

jaker

trolling
They are cutting sleeper runs here also , but no one is going back to package

I heard they rather have ups drivers doing all the stuff that people see, so they want all of us here

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They've cut sleeper runs across the country for the last two peaks. Sleeper teams run mileage. For some of the longer sleeper teams, the miles can add up to $2600 a week. But you really shouldn't lose $800 a week. You just have to work 60 hours to get your time. If they're running contractors--and they are--you are entitled to your 60 hours. Even hourly, 60 hours is roughly $24-2500 a week.

But you have to keep your nose and balls in the dispatchers window. They're not going to OFFER you your 60. You have to demand it. It's not hard to do. You just need to ask, and if they tell you they don't have any work, you just tell them since contractors are running, you need to find me some work.

Where I'm at, half the time you end up standing around, or shuffling empty trailers to a remote lot for hours on end. And there is NO guilt about doing it. If they're giving our contractual work to gypos, I'm gonna be made whole.

Last edited:

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
They've cut sleeper runs across the country for the last two peaks. Sleeper teams run mileage. For some of the longer sleeper teams, the miles can add up to $2600 a week. But you really shouldn't lose $800 a week. You just have to work 60 hours to get your time. If they're running contractors--and they are--you are entitled to your 60 hours. Even hourly, 60 hours is roughly $24-2500 a week.

But you have to keep your nose and balls in the dispatchers window. They're not going to OFFER you your 60. You have to demand it. It's not hard to do. You just need to ask, and if they tell you they don't have any work, you just tell them since contractors are running, you need to find me some work.

Where I'm at, half the time you end up standing around, or shuffling empty trailers to a remote lot for hours on end. And there is NO guilt about doing it. If they're giving our contractual work to gypos, I'm gonna be made whole.

When does the guarantee of hours begin? There is confusion where I am, some say Dec 1st others say anytime a contractor is on the yard.

BROWNCAT

Incorrect sir. His route is rated at 16 hours a day. He comes in early. Runs early am's plus a bulk stop. Comes back takes his route out then runs misloads. So he works 12 hours a day. But he is able to beat his route by 3 or 4 hours a day. Plus his 4 hours of overtime. The guy is a machine. When he is on vacation they make his route into 2 routes. He does so much work in one day its insane. Also I've personally seen his checks because he loves showing them off.
16 hours x 5 days = 80 hours a week... Is he exempt from the DOT HOS regulation? Or am I missing something? because my math is not adding up correctly...

a911scanner

16 hours x 5 days = 80 hours a week... Is he exempt from the DOT HOS regulation? Or am I missing something? because my math is not adding up correctly...

Reread it. It clearly says he works 12 hours per day x 5day week = 60 hours worked.

The 80 hours/week number comes from what Orion/RDO time study says the route should take. The extra money comes from being under allowed 4 hours+ per day.

Either way, this guy is nuts and ruins it for everyone else, as UPS can then say "see, our completely unrealistic numbers are attainable"