Sleeper teams

Quickdraw

Let's just act like all the rumors about all these sleeper teams coming to my hub are true. What can anyone tell me about the pay rate for those guys is it a flat rate for the truck that gets split between the drivers like most otr company's or do you make the millage rate for just what you drive? What kinda days out do they have? I ran the road before getting hired at the ups so I'm curious as to how it works here.

brostalss

It's complicated. I still don't understand it. You get mileage pay plus hourly pay when fueling, breaks, delays and wait time after two hours. You also get a per diem.

Different runs run on different days. Mostly Tuesday thru Thursday. It varies. I've done three day runs to Iowa to a four day run clear across the country. ( LA to Jax, Fl)

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It's complicated. I still don't understand it. You get mileage pay plus hourly pay when fueling, breaks, delays and wait time after two hours. You also get a per diem.

Different runs run on different days. Mostly Tuesday thru Thursday. It varies. I've done three day runs to Iowa to a four day run clear across the country. ( LA to Jax, Fl)
Did you like it?

542thruNthru

Let's just act like all the rumors about all these sleeper teams coming to my hub are true. What can anyone tell me about the pay rate for those guys is it a flat rate for the truck that gets split between the drivers like most otr company's or do you make the millage rate for just what you drive? What kinda days out do they have? I ran the road before getting hired at the ups so I'm curious as to how it works here.

Article 43 of the National Master Agreement may answer a lot of your question.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
One thing I know, at least around here, the sleeper teams are more and more moving to weekend or part of the weekend work.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

You are paid 1/2 the total scheduled miles. You get this no matter how much you drive. On top of that you get an extra $.035 for all miles per diem (I just add $.07 to half the miles when estimating how much I'll make covering a run). The per diem isn't taxed.

On top of this you get hourly pay for your TA time, but you give them 2 hours on your longest leg after every trip to your home domicile. This is a little deceiving because you are most like washing and fueling at that leg so you will probably get some hourly pay even if your loads are ready. Most of our runs come back through the building at least once a week so you are giving the 2 hours multiple times a week. But I think it's worth it get a quick shower and a few hours at home.

You don't get paid start work or finish work pay unless you are fueling or delayed. Then we are paid 1.5 time for that time. So, If I went on a run today and the tractor and loads we're ready, all my time pre-tripping and coupling the trailers would be unpaid unless you have to build a set, but that is rare for us.

It's good money but a tough and dangerous life!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Also, if you're the B driver be careful who you go with. Some A drivers do stupid things that waste tons of time and cost you $$.

We have about 20 runs a week out and back at a little over 1,000 miles each way. Almost all have both drivers split the drive time equally which gets you there in 15-15.5 hours and will get you some $$ fueling and waiting on the wall. A few of the A drivers have some flawed logic that makes one driver do 2/3 of the total miles and ruins all chance of delay time at the TA. They are out 2-3 hours longer and get no delay time.

We also have a few who have to have a coffee or pee break every 2-3 hours. This sounds nice but costs you tons of money for lost delay time and gets you home late.

raceanoncr

We ran sleeper for about 5 yrs and most of what Rick Ross says is true. Our run was, if I remember right, about 4100 miles. We took any extra that our hours would allow, which usually meant we were gone for 6 days all year, giving us over 6,000 a week, again, if our hours would allow.

Yes, we ALWAYS worked weekends, ALWAYS. That's the nature of sleeper, at least here. We ALWAYS worked most holidays, again, that's the nature of sleeper. On Thanksgiving w/e, EACH of us made about $4500, because of most of the days were O/T mileage and delay. It's not for a family guy or girl. I was single and it worked.

Yes, your partner makes a difference. I had a good one, except he drank a lot of coffee, during drive and right before his bed, which meant....well, you know...lots o stops for him.

We had XM, disc player, radio, CB, the works, all with headphones (yes, I know, don't yell at me) to mute any noise coming into sleeper.

I didn't like driving thru Chi, Louky, KC, Denco, Dallas or any other big town during rush hour, either but who cares what I like?

More questions? Axe away

barnyard

KTM rider
The legs are all preset when you leave correct?? If that is the case, there are pull times for each leg also, correct? If that is the case, does delay pay start after your scheduled pull time??

If it starts as soon as you arrive, regardless of pull time, isn't that the same as a runner/gunner skipping break to get more bonus??

Kidney stones are kind of common in OTR guys. One of the causes of stones is not drinking enough liquid to flush out your kidneys.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The legs are all preset when you leave correct?? If that is the case, there are pull times for each leg also, correct? If that is the case, does delay pay start after your scheduled pull time??

If it starts as soon as you arrive, regardless of pull time, isn't that the same as a runner/gunner skipping break to get more bonus??

The schedule has both departure and arrival times on it but I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for being early. The 1000 miles I mentioned earlier that we usually run in 15-15.5 hours is scheduled for around 16.7 hours if I remember correctly. UPS would rather pay 2 drivers a little delay time than risk them missing a sort because they are stuck behind a bad accident.

It goes the other way too. Imagine your last leg is from a railyard back home and the train is usually 3+ hours late, and still needs to be unloaded. Sure, you're being paid to wait, but every minute you wait is cutting into the small amount of time you have at home. Instead of getting back at 1700 Sunday you get home at 2100 which means you can't do anything with your kids because they have school Monday. You are scheduled to depart at 1500 Tuesday from a day sort, so in reality you had Monday evening to spend with your kids. I think that run is also home a half a day later in the week but nothing to actually have a life with your family. To me that's a lot of sacrifice to make $140k.