Small UPS Freight terminal interview.

GFSpooner

I recently had an interview at a smaller UPS Freight terminal for a road driver position, during which the manager mentioned there were no day runs. He also made it sound like it was mostly mini-hub runs. It sounds like there aren't a lot of high mileage runs out of this terminal, so I guess I'm wondering; is it typically better to get hired on at a larger terminal? I know that either way I'm likely going to end up with the most undesireable runs for a while, but eventually it would be nice to see some miles or a day run on the horizon, after some seniority.

On the flip side, I've heard that getting into a larger terminal could mean less work for a new guy, as managers tend to go on a hiring spree during busy times. This would mean that there a lot of guys sitting when it slows down and if you're the low man on the board you're screwed.

If anyone has any experience with this and some advice to offer, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks.

jdog

Even the larger barns are the same way.if u can afford it, stick it out. It will b worth it in the long run.To make up for loss miles u can always work the dock.

GFSpooner

Thanks, JDog.

There are two terminals currently hiring road drivers within 50 miles of me. One is quite large, the other, where I interviewed, is smaller. I would rather work at the smaller barn as it's a shorter commute and not quite as chaotic as the larger one, but was just curious how different life would be at one versus the other and what the pros and cons would be. Sounds like not a drastic difference. And I have no problem working the dock -- pay is pay.

I do plan on sticking it out, although I'm sure it won't be easy. My main concern is being on-call and how that process works. I have the ability to supplement, part-time, with another job (my current one), but if I'm constantly unsure of what my schedule will be like it could be difficult to make that work.