Smith's Letter to All Express Employees

bbsam

Staff member
Does FedEx promote independent thinking in a courier? Do they want an independent thinker. Who cares if he's an independent thinker, if he's an hourly and employee and will get better benefits/money/job security of course he would benefit from it.
Yes. Fedex promotes indepenent thinkers and makes them contractors. Oh. You mean Express. Nevermind.

FedEx courier

Yes. Fedex promotes indepenent thinkers and makes them contractors. Oh. You mean Express. Nevermind.

Well since the topic is "

and since quadro says he is an Express driver then one would assume that the discussion would be about Express. Though entertaining, it is confusing why you keep posting on Express topics when most don't pertain to anything going on at Ground. It's clear you like the attention but you know little about the Express division.

To Quadro. If the contract given to the Express employees was the same as the one that UPS package car drivers have it would be hard to understand how you as an hourly driver at Express would not benefit from it. You seem to be speculating on what would be in the contract which would be discussed before agreement.

quadro

Bahhhhh, or is it Bleeaattt? If you're just hunky-dory with the status quo, then good for you. Right now, you've got absolutely no bargaining power against Smith, which is exactly what he wants. We could go union and Fred could lock us out, or more likely, he would be forced to let some of the moths out of his wallet. So far, he's walked all over us at every opportunity, which is OK with you. Wouldn't you like to put a stop to it? Probably not.
So let me get this straight. I blindly follow your agenda and line of thinking = good. I think for myself and have an opposing viewpoint to yours = I'm a sheep. Isn't that a little backwards? Look, I know that's not what you mean but just because I don't think that Fred has walked all over us doesn't mean I'm blindly following anyone. There are, after all, only two choices. Pro- or anti-union. Following one side without doing some research certainly can be viewed as being a sheep but you can't label everyone that disagrees with you as a sheep. It tends to undermine your own position.

quadro

To Quadro. If the contract given to the Express employees was the same as the one that UPS package car drivers have it would be hard to understand how you as an hourly driver at Express would not benefit from it. You seem to be speculating on what would be in the contract which would be discussed before agreement.
You are 100% correct and if Express drivers were to get the same contract as UPS package car drivers, I'd would be on the front line with MrFedex. I think it is very unrealistic to believe that the contract would be the same. I would also take a look at the current NMA and the new top pay for package car drivers. If I'm not mistaken, I think you'll find it is nowhere near what it used to be.

As far as your last sentence, isn't that what everyone here that is pro-union is doing? Speculating what would be in the contract?

vantexan

I'm with quadro on this. I don't see the need to be paid better, I'm managing week to week just find, knock on wood. Benefits? Who needs'em? I'm content to work another 20 years to catch up with top pay too. So what if I've been back 11 years and current topped out employees make about $8500 a year more on 40 hrs a week? That's fair, they were here first, mid-range employees will get theirs in a few decades. Somewhere, over the rainbow, bluebirds fly...They're flying high, over that rainbow, oh tell me why can't I........................................................

bbsam

Staff member
Well since the topic is "

and since quadro says he is an Express driver then one would assume that the discussion would be about Express. Though entertaining, it is confusing why you keep posting on Express topics when most don't pertain to anything going on at Ground. It's clear you like the attention but you know little about the Express division.

I did say nevermind. And yes, it is amusing around here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are 100% correct and if Express drivers were to get the same contract as UPS package car drivers, I'd would be on the front line with MrFedex. I think it is very unrealistic to believe that the contract would be the same. I would also take a look at the current NMA and the new top pay for package car drivers. If I'm not mistaken, I think you'll find it is nowhere near what it used to be. As far as your last sentence, isn't that what everyone here that is pro-union is doing? Speculating what would be in the contract?

Wage progression was changed in the last contract. The starting pay was lowered to $16.10. The first raise is when the employee gets his seniority ($17.25), the second at 12 months ($18.45), the third at 24 months ($20.75) and the final at 36 months will put them at top rate, which is currently $29.65/hr. The progression is longer and the wages during that progression are lower but the end result ($29.65) is certainly worth the wait.

To put it all in perspective, Kobe Bryant just signed a 3 yr contract extension for $90M. $30M/season to play a game. There's something wrong with this picture.

I will be the first to say that a $10-12/hr wage differential between UPS and Express is unfair but I will also be the first to say that equal wages for unequal work would also be unfair. I would think a top rate of $25/hr with a comparable benefit package would be fair IMO.

quadro

I'm with quadro on this. I don't see the need to be paid better, I'm managing week to week just find, knock on wood. Benefits? Who needs'em? I'm content to work another 20 years to catch up with top pay too. So what if I've been back 11 years and current topped out employees make about $8500 a year more on 40 hrs a week? That's fair, they were here first, mid-range employees will get theirs in a few decades. Somewhere, over the rainbow, bluebirds fly...They're flying high, over that rainbow, oh tell me why can't I........................................................
As I never said that I don't see the need to be paid better, not sure how you are with me. Maybe if you weren't watching The Wizard of Oz while you were reading you would've noticed that.

quadro

Wage progression was changed in the last contract. The starting pay was lowered to $16.10. The first raise is when the employee gets his seniority ($17.25), the second at 12 months ($18.45), the third at 24 months ($20.75) and the final at 36 months will put them at top rate, which is currently $29.65/hr. The progression is longer and the wages during that progression are lower but the end result ($29.65) is certainly worth the wait.

To put it all in perspective, Kobe Bryant just signed a 3 yr contract extension for $90M. $30M/season to play a game. There's something wrong with this picture.

I will be the first to say that a $10-12/hr wage differential between UPS and Express is unfair but I will also be the first to say that equal wages for unequal work would also be unfair. I would think a top rate of $25/hr with a comparable benefit package would be fair IMO.
Why does the NMA say top pay is $22.62? Also, do part-time drivers get paid the same as full-time?

vantexan

On the other hand don't UPS drivers in New York make the same as drivers in Omaha, a considerably cheaper city? FedEx has 7 payscales, however they aren't applied evenly. Some very expensive cities have lower pay than others. I think $25hr is very fair for areas with the lowest payscale. People on the coasts should get more. And while UPS drivers certainly earn their pay, don't think FedEx couriers always have it much better. We unload containers, load our trucks, and our rts are configured to try to max out productivity. I've run rts that were more difficult than UPS rts in that area. And I've seen FedEx rts that were jokes compared to UPS rts. The average UPS driver IMO does work harder, but not all FedEx rts are equal. When I was starting at 1000, loading hundreds of boxes in 107 degree humid heat on the Mexican border, taking lunch after 8 p.m., off by 10:30 p.m., making around $13hr for 2 years, pretty certain the UPS guys didn't envy me.

FedEx courier

Wow, I wonder what quadro will say next. It seems like if we got half of what the UPS guys we would be doing a lot better. Come on Maury uh I mean Quadro, what do you have for that one. You want everybody to think you respect everybody's opinion. What other kind of disinformation do you have. Telling everyone that UPS guys top out at 22 an hour, come on Maury uhh I mean Quadro can't you get your staff to come up with something a little better than that. You should have a TLA with your PR department and come up with some other creative angles on the matter.

FedEx courier

You are 100% correct and if Express drivers were to get the same contract as UPS package car drivers, I'd would be on the front line with MrFedex. I think it is very unrealistic to believe that the contract would be the same. I would also take a look at the current NMA and the new top pay for package car drivers. If I'm not mistaken, I think you'll find it is nowhere near what it used to be.

As far as your last sentence, isn't that what everyone here that is pro-union is doing? Speculating what would be in the contract?
Is it total speculation when you can clearly look at what you have and see it isn't near they same as what they have. Gee, I wonder how I would get what they have. I guess I could write a letter to the top and see if they would have a change of heart and decide to be generous.

quadro

Wow, I wonder what quadro will say next. It seems like if we got half of what the UPS guys we would be doing a lot better. Come on Maury uh I mean Quadro, what do you have for that one. You want everybody to think you respect everybody's opinion. What other kind of disinformation do you have. Telling everyone that UPS guys top out at 22 an hour, come on Maury uhh I mean Quadro can't you get your staff to come up with something a little better than that. You should have a TLA with your PR department and come up with some other creative angles on the matter.
Once again, it seems we can't have a discussion without resorting to name calling.

Do you know what a "?" is? Obviously not as I did not tell anyone that UPS tops out at 22/hour. I asked a question about the $22.62 rate. The reason I asked is because I took the time to look at the NMA and that was the only top rate I could find. And it obviously wasn't a rhetorical question as I quoted a previous poster asking a question about what they posted. Go ahead and look up rhetorical, I'll wait......................

.......................(now back to regularly scheduled posting)Also, in what world is half of $29.65, i.e. ~$15/hour, better than what we have now? <------- see the "?", see how that works?

What about the other part of that question? Part-timers don't make the same as full-timers for doing the same job. I wonder how that feels for the part-timers. What happened to equal pay for equal work?

I have little to no doubt that a union contract would mean at least a couple $$ more an hour. I have no illusions that Express would get $29.65/hour. It just isn't going to happen. I also have little to no doubt that there's a cost to the additional wages and that's where I'm skeptical about the overall package that would be negotiated. FedEx is not going to rollover and just agree to everything which means that something or things are going to be taken away. That's why, for me, I am comfortable with what I have. I also understand why people feel the opposite. The difference is I don't go around calling people names when they disagree with me or because I have no facts to dispute what they are saying.

But, hey, this is an anonymous IBB so it's easy to goad people and if that's your thing, then more power to you.

quadro

Is it total speculation when you can clearly look at what you have and see it isn't near they same as what they have. Gee, I wonder how I would get what they have. I guess I could write a letter to the top and see if they would have a change of heart and decide to be generous.
Or you could go work for them. And yes it is total speculation because you are speculating what would be negotiated in a union contract.

FedEx courier

Or you could go work for them. And yes it is total speculation because you are speculating what would be negotiated in a union contract.
You sound just like a manager now. Why don't you go work for them if you want more money. What a joke. You aren't fooling anyone unless you've become such a tool that you believe everything they say.

quadro

You sound just like a manager now. Why don't you go work for them if you want more money. What a joke. You aren't fooling anyone unless you've become such a tool that you believe everything they say.
Nice ad hominem. Anyway, I don't want to go work for UPS and never said I did. I also never said I believe everything they say but I did say I don't normally ask a question about this subject that I don't already know the answer to. That way I know if I am being lied to and know which managers are being honest with me.

Anytime you want to discuss the facts instead of me, just let me know. I'm listening.

SmithBarney

quadro is right a union will do noting for him... unfortunately he is one of the few left 20+ employees who topped out in 2 years
and have been enjoying top rate pay for 18 years... where as anyone hired in the last 15 years has been struggling to make it to that
elusive pinnacle. Think about this when I was hired the employee numbers were in the 600,000, now they are 800,000(3 years 200,000 employees)
yes some are vendor numbers, but they are going through employees now a lot faster and at a cheaper rate than they used to..

"Unions promote mediocrity and dislike independent thinkers. Quadro is certainly not medicore and is more than able to think for himself."
Sorry not in this industry, and you should know better. I worked at UPS for 3 years(ending 2007) not one person I worked with was
either mediocre or non thinking... you worked your butt off and got paid fairly for it.

I think most of the people I work with at FedEx now, agree that if they were paid fairly (ie topped out) there would be little to no need for a union.