Smith's Letter to All Express Employees

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Unions promote mediocrity and dislike independent thinkers. Quadro is certainly not medicore and is more than able to think for himself."
Sorry not in this industry, and you should know better. I worked at UPS for 3 years(ending 2007) not one person I worked with was
either mediocre or non thinking... you worked your butt off and got paid fairly for it.

I have at least 3-4 co-workers whom I would classify as mediocre and 1 who has no business working there. He spends his mornings BSing with his customers to the point where he has to run his butt off the rest of the day just to catch up. The others do little more than what is required and even less during adverse weather conditions. To them EC is simply an excuse not to run off chasers. They don't go the extra step for the customer, such as calling them when the weather is bad and their road is impassable to try to set up a meet or arrange an alternate delivery location. They don't bother calling on pkgs with bad addresses. They don't go back to pickup stops if asked (and if they are able to). They do the bare minimum and that is what I call mediocre.

FedEx courier

Nice ad hominem. Anyway, I don't want to go work for UPS and never said I did. I also never said I believe everything they say but I did say I don't normally ask a question about this subject that I don't already know the answer to. That way I know if I am being lied to and know which managers are being honest with me.

Anytime you want to discuss the facts instead of me, just let me know. I'm listening.
I thought we were discussing the facts. If I am a driver for Express and I was able to get the same deal that a UPS package car driver got I would be in a much better situation as far as pay,benefits, and job security. Those are the facts even you agree with. Is there anything further to discuss as far as those facts. Your only defense is that you don't know what you are going to get. If they offered you the same as the UPS driver got you would be in a better situation. Is there anything wrong with people wanting to get a better deal than they have.

quadro

I thought we were discussing the facts. If I am a driver for Express and I was able to get the same deal that a UPS package car driver got I would be in a much better situation as far as pay,benefits, and job security. Those are the facts even you agree with. Is there anything further to discuss as far as those facts. Your only defense is that you don't know what you are going to get. If they offered you the same as the UPS driver got you would be in a better situation. Is there anything wrong with people wanting to get a better deal than they have.
We were until you threw in the Maury Lane stuff but that's water under the bridge.

Of course there's nothing wrong with people wanting a better deal. Who wouldn't want a better deal? The only part I don't agree with is the job security. If we got the same deal as UPS certainly pay and benefits would be better but job security isn't as clear cut. I know a lot of people around here don't agree with the GFT process but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that a union grievance process isn't necessarily better. That would be a good point of discussion.

In any event, what makes you think that FedEx would agree to the same contract that UPS has? I think that it would be a little naive to assume that we'd get it. Parts of it maybe but not all of it. FedEx just doesn't have the profit margin that UPS does to support it. At least not without requiring a substantial gain in worker productivity.

Yes, I'm obviously topped out and yes I agree it sucks if you are not topped out. I do feel that is one of the biggest, if not the biggest item that will sway a vote should it occur. Unfortunately, I also think it'll end up being a case of be careful what you ask for. If I'm wrong, this will be the first place I'll come to and admit that I was a fool for thinking the way I did and thanks to those of you that saw the light. Sadly, I don't believe I'm wrong and a union is something that FedEx employees will come to regret should it happen. Again, just my opinion.

FedEx courier

We were until you threw in the Maury Lane stuff but that's water under the bridge.

Of course there's nothing wrong with people wanting a better deal. Who wouldn't want a better deal? The only part I don't agree with is the job security. If we got the same deal as UPS certainly pay and benefits would be better but job security isn't as clear cut. I know a lot of people around here don't agree with the GFT process but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that a union grievance process isn't necessarily better. That would be a good point of discussion.

In any event, what makes you think that FedEx would agree to the same contract that UPS has? I think that it would be a little naive to assume that we'd get it. Parts of it maybe but not all of it. FedEx just doesn't have the profit margin that UPS does to support it. At least not without requiring a substantial gain in worker productivity.

Yes, I'm obviously topped out and yes I agree it sucks if you are not topped out. I do feel that is one of the biggest, if not the biggest item that will sway a vote should it occur. Unfortunately, I also think it'll end up being a case of be careful what you ask for. If I'm wrong, this will be the first place I'll come to and admit that I was a fool for thinking the way I did and thanks to those of you that saw the light. Sadly, I don't believe I'm wrong and a union is something that FedEx employees will come to regret should it happen. Again, just my opinion.
The GFT's I've seen only result in retaliation from management and what is there to stop them from doing so. There is absolutely nothing in place to stop them from doctoring something up to get rid of you if you make them made enough. If you have any published evidence to show how the GFT works then please do so. It's a process that serves the needs of the company and it's only purpose is to try and avoid things that would result in lawsuits. It's a joke. It's like telling the company "hey you were wrong" after they've decided to discipline you for something. The very premise of it is retarded.
I would think FedEx would have to agree to a standard contract or else deal with stoppages in operations like any company would in this situation. Obviously if they didn't agree there would be stoppages. From what I've seen over the years some of the managers are so powermad and idiotic they wouldn't know what to do if a Union was there. They wouldn't know what to do if they had to actually abide by rules because someone made them do so. So as far as having sympathy for the company in this situation and worrying about whether they will fight a contract, I'm not worried about it. I'm out for what makes me better and not really concerned with whether Fred S will have to spend a little extra money on us that I feel like we deserve.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

GFT is a joke. Anyone who maintains it is a legitimate grievance process needs to have their head examined. How could we come to regret a union when we have nothing to lose as it stands right now? FedEx does whatever it wants whenever it wants to. If they want to outsource our work, we just have to sit back and watch. It's the same with top-out times. If they decided to up-it to 30 years, what could we do about it? Nothing. And it's always been that way...completely on their terms.

If we walk and Smith tries to lock us out (if we go union), he'll be in deep trouble quickly. Customers won't wait around for FedEx to get back up to speed...they'll just leave. Nobody here has ever expected a contract that would replicate what they have over at UPS. I think all we're asking for is to be treated fairly, which certainly isn't happening right now. Even if we only get $2.00 per hour in raises it will be worth it just to force Smith to both have some respect for us and bring his uppity butt over to the bargaining table. He needs a lesson in humility.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Translation: The customers will leave and go to UPS. Got it?

The customers will indeed leave but will eventually come back. We lost more customers to Ground than we did during the strike. Ground came in, took our rate chart and cut it by 10%. The customers began to realize that the rates were not the only thing being discounted and came back.

bbsam

Staff member
The customers will indeed leave but will eventually come back. We lost more customers to Ground than we did during the strike. Ground came in, took our rate chart and cut it by 10%. The customers began to realize that the rates were not the only thing being discounted and came back.
Not all of them.

quadro

Translation: The customers will leave and go to UPS. Got it?
Which is what you said the first time, so yes, I get that if the customers leave there will be many, many jobs at risk, if not completely gone, thus putting the employees in deeper trouble than Fred. Nothing breaks a union faster than no customers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Which is what you said the first time, so yes, I get that if the customers leave there will be many, many jobs at risk, if not completely gone, thus putting the employees in deeper trouble than Fred. Nothing breaks a union faster than no customers.

A risk I'm willing to take. Fred needs to be taught that he isn't going to get away with it any longer. He'll bluster and threaten, just like he has with the 777 deal, and in the end, he'll have to negotiate.

jalnar

Lets even the playing field How much do you make and How is your TOTAL compensation package worth? You are not even close to Big BROWN BUT DOING THE SAME WORK. Wake up and start getting paid what you should be paid.The only way this is going to happen is join the TEAMSTERS. This can be done eaisly. Take care loosers or should I say uninformed drivers

vantexan

Lets even the playing field How much do you make and How is your TOTAL compensation package worth? You are not even close to Big BROWN BUT DOING THE SAME WORK. Wake up and start getting paid what you should be paid.The only way this is going to happen is join the TEAMSTERS. This can be done eaisly. Take care loosers or should I say uninformed drivers

Wake up? Joining is easy? And what's a "looser?" Only a loser would spell it with two o's! Sorry, couldn't resist!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

bbsam, Mr FedEx and others---please know that jalnar does not represent the views of most UPSers (or anyone with half a brain).