Book off in a snowstorm?

• YES, who cares about my brothers!

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • NO, show up and do your job!

Votes: 35 76.1%

• Total voters

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't see how a bunch of feeder drivers calling can cause the rest to do more work, package? Yes of course. I've worked during tropical storms and had to suck up extra work due to call out's, but feeders? I can only due what I normally due there just isn't enough time to do more. I can only pull so many loads a night.

That was my point. Either the loads don't move, or they find someone to move them. There is no additional work for anybody else.

No it doesn't. You were talking about feeder drivers calling in,

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Now picture yourself pulling a set of doubles on the highway at night during a blizzard, snow and ice on the road. You cannot see out of your windshield due to the ice and snow build up, (feeder drivers know what I'm talking about.)

Cars and trucks seemingly flying past you, driving like they have a death wish, cars in the ditch all over the place, cars spinning out in front of you, not leaving you any room what-so-ever to be able to stop before plowing into them, or that truck passing you doing 50 mph while you are doing 30, and then he starts jack knifing right next to you, hitting your brakes because traffic in front of you is stopping and realizing that your tires are just sliding.

I can usually count on one hand the times that we get that much snow for the above to happen, but it does happen.

I never think about stuff like this while in bundles. I drive around, deliver 1/4 of my route and get paid for 10 hours. Yes, a little tougher than when the roads are clear.

Yes, there is a huge difference. Trust me, I do both.

Do you want to lose your job because you decided to come in and drive during a blizzard to move cardboard boxes?

I take the risk everytime it snows, maybe I'm stupid, but I do not blame those that don't, maybe they're smart.
That's why I don't sign feeder bids. If my package car slides on ice and dents someone's car, then so be it. You guys have people's lives in in your hands. God bless.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I was once told to leave the CC with a sup in a loaded PC during a complete white out .
It took us an hour to make it to Watertown Sq , about 1 mile away . The sup couldn't see the car ahead on him , so I had to stick my head out of the doorway to see the car's brake lights .
It took another 30 mins to get to the first stop in Newton .
As soon as we got to the area it all stopped and the sun came out . Turns out the sup did not know the route . I was able to get a map from an air driver who we found stuck in a snowbank and pulled her out .
We did about 40 stops mostly just me running them off until the sup got called back to the building .

LeadBelly

Banned
We had 20 Feeder drivers bang in yesterday because of the snow. Not sure how you can run the business like that other than a bunch of CPUs were closed. In my whole career, I have never booked off because of weather. All that does is force the drivers that DO show up to work MORE hours in that blizzard to cover THEIR work.

Or am I wrong? It was a miserable night. Were the people on the Snow Flake List the smart ones?
I like to work on these days to measure myself as a service provider. I always have. As I'm getting older and it's kinda hard to believe because I look freaking great for my age it's getting harder to do it in the snow.

From a hair standpoint it's never been better. I feel like I'm Brad Pitt from the movie Fury.

Johney

I like to work on these days to measure myself as a service provider. I always have. As I'm getting older and it's kinda hard to believe because I look freaking great for my age it's getting harder to do it in the snow.

From a hair standpoint it's never been better. I feel like I'm Brad Pitt from the movie Fury.
puke.jpg

Indecisi0n

We had 20 Feeder drivers bang in yesterday because of the snow. Not sure how you can run the business like that other than a bunch of CPUs were closed. In my whole career, I have never booked off because of weather. All that does is force the drivers that DO show up to work MORE hours in that blizzard to cover THEIR work.

Or am I wrong? It was a miserable night. Were the people on the Snow Flake List the smart ones?
If I do 130 stops and it takes me until 7:30-45 then how are they going to give me more work and get me in by 8:00? They can't. Other drivers decisions don't put more work on you management does. They know what I do daily and if I get more work they need to cover businesses and then come and get my pickups later that night. I work a little later and make more money.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Being a PC driver. I love snow days. I call it a "me day ". If I feel like it, I'll do it maybe. The last couple yrs. They call us in at 8 hrs for the air shuttle. So I go spin my tires a few times. I think it's an easy day.

Feeder drivers, I don't blame them one second if they call out. Too much weight behind those things.

WorknLateHuh

Being a PC driver. I love snow days. I call it a "me day ". If I feel like it, I'll do it maybe. The last couple yrs. They call us in at 8 hrs for the air shuttle. So I go spin my tires a few times. I think it's an easy day.

I agree except for the "LOVING the snow days" part. lol

Those days don't bother me. What does bother me is when the snow comes down so fast you have 3-4 inches of unplowed snow on the MAIN roads. we as drivers, get lots of flexibility and discretion on days like this which is great.

LeadBelly

Banned
Geez, I had a hairline like that when I was 16, 30 years later, not so much...
Dude here's my story. I was turning 40 and I was at Disney. I always buzzed my head. My wife likes hair and I saw her looking at the young dudes with the good hair.

I asked her if she thought I could should grow it like that she said yea, but like a hornet yea. So I was already in pre midlife crisis (bought A 46,000$ dollar truck new computer working out and I grew the hair. Now the hair is a huge center of the universe. I feel like a stud my wife loves it and I get checked out a lot now.

I do a lot of traveling for business and talk to a lot of new people. When age comes up I play the game how old do I look and I get an average of 30 to 34. It makes me feel good and I'm a hair lover now. Me and my boys started our own hair club joke. We induct people into the hair club.

Bottom line I wasted years buzzing these beautiful locks.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Dude here's my story. I was turning 40 and I was at Disney. I always buzzed my head. My wife likes hair and I saw her looking at the young dudes with the good hair.

I asked her if she thought I could should grow it like that she said yea, but like a hornet yea. So I was already in pre midlife crisis (bought A 46,000$ dollar truck new computer working out and I grew the hair. Now the hair is a huge center of the universe. I feel like a stud my wife loves it and I get checked out a lot now.

I do a lot of traveling for business and talk to a lot of new people. When age comes up I play the game how old do I look and I get an average of 30 to 34. It makes me feel good and I'm a hair lover now. Me and my boys started our own hair club joke. We induct people into the hair club.

Bottom line I wasted years buzzing these beautiful locks.

88591.jpg

MendozaJ

Snow means slow pace, air with ground, PUs on route, ECO those overweights and a-hole stops that don't shovel 24 hours later, then get called back into the building and ECO the rest. As a cover driver, I could give a damn about how much I get done. There's also the respect factor of customers.

Cold doesn't faze me. I save my days for those brutal summer heat waves.