Snow Flake List

Book off in a snowstorm?

• YES, who cares about my brothers!

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • NO, show up and do your job!

Votes: 35 76.1%

• Total voters

clean hairy

Best to stay off the Interstate during bad weather.
You might be the best driver of all time, but the others on the road may have no clue like these folks..

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In package I always went in if it was bad I'd just deliver whatever I could and bring the rest back, no worries. Feeders is different. If I don't feel good about it I call in. I don't worry about the other drivers, they can make their own decisions.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I pretty much always come in when it snows. Many drivers don't. To each his own. I don't blame anyone. I've driven in some pretty crazy storms. Having said all that, it's one thing to come in, but it's quite another to get anywhere on time, or make service. I'm not afraid of driving in snow, but that's because I adjust and drive at the speed I feel is safe. And that ain't very fast. I know UPS, and how they work. It really doesn't matter the reason, because if you wreck, they will simply say if it was as dangerous as I said it was, I should have pulled over. It will always be your fault.

Now, ice is a completely different story. Our hub pretty much shuts down when our roads get covered in ice. Ice is much more dangerous than any kind of snow. Earlier this year, we got a decent ice storm, and I was going to take a pup to the railyard. I got on the highway and noticed a Fed-Ex driver pulling doubles all twisted up on the overpass I was heading to. I stopped on the highway, on a very slight incline to see what he was going to do, and as I did, my trailer started to slide sideways towards the shoulder barrier. I stopped sliding before I hit the barrier, but I was done. I called dispatch and told them so, and waited for a salt truck to come by so I could get traction and came back. I've done enough of inclement weather driving to know my limits, and that is when I quit.

Also, feeder management doesn't want a bunch of drivers and loads stuck on the side of the road. And we are a big hub, so we have packs of drivers driving to a lot of the same locations and sorts, so if one guy can't move, chances are the rest of them won't either. So what usually happens in heavy weather is they will simply shut down the trouble areas.

What the package car guys might not understand is most feeder drivers rarely call in sick. Feeders isn't miserable like package car. There isn't that dreaded feeling of coming to work like there was in the bread box. So, if we call in, it means something.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
In package I always went in if it was bad I'd just deliver whatever I could and bring the rest back, no worries. Feeders is different. If I don't feel good about it I call in. I don't worry about the other drivers, they can make their own decisions.

In 34+ years of package, I may have called off 2-3 times because of weather.

But, each of those times I was borderline sick, and the weather just made my decision easier.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I was once told to leave the CC with a sup in a loaded PC during a complete white out .
It took us an hour to make it to Watertown Sq , about 1 mile away . The sup couldn't see the car ahead on him , so I had to stick my head out of the doorway to see the car's brake lights .
It took another 30 mins to get to the first stop in Newton .
As soon as we got to the area it all stopped and the sun came out . Turns out the sup did not know the route . I was able to get a map from an air driver who we found stuck in a snowbank and pulled her out .
We did about 40 stops mostly just me running them off until the sup got called back to the building .

If you or the supervisor couldn't see the car in front, and continued to drive, you're doing it all wrong.

Box Ox

Screw that I'm not working in the snow.

Hey, if you're up north and don't risk everything to be a winter weather tough guy, I might have like....12 hour days all next week when the backed up volume finally gets to my center down south.

You sissies are gonna report to work and you're gonna like it!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Hey, if you're up north and don't risk everything to be a winter weather tough guy, I might have like....12 hour days all next week when the backed up volume finally gets to my center down south.

You sissies are gonna report to work and you're gonna like it!

Don't worry, UPS will change you to the 70 hour rule and then you can work 14 hour days and get it all delivered.

Box Ox

Don't worry, UPS will change you to the 70 hour rule and then you can work 14 hour days and get it all delivered.

Then I don't care how deep that snow is! Mush, ye package dogs!

UPSDA-Meme.jpg

Johney

What the package car guys might not understand is most feeder drivers rarely call in sick. Feeders isn't miserable like package car. There isn't that dreaded feeling of coming to work like there was in the bread box. So, if we call in, it means something.
There is not a truer statement out there regarding feeders. Guys I worked with in package I see getting off as I come in(most looking miserable)always ask why I have a smile on my face every time they see me? I tell them I don't mind coming to work anymore.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I agree except for the "LOVING the snow days" part. lol

Those days don't bother me. What does bother me is when the snow comes down so fast you have 3-4 inches of unplowed snow on the MAIN roads. we as drivers, get lots of flexibility and discretion on days like this which is great.

About 5 yrs ago. We had a storm that dropped 7 ft of snow in a day in a half. I drove on the main road that still had 6 inches on it. To where I have lunch. Which is perfectly in the middle of my area. Then sat and waited. Its the only place with in 20 miles for beer and a diner. I actually got rid of half of my area. Cousins neighbors and friends got the stuff off. Since that storm. They call us off early

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
My center is paranoid when it snows and pulls the trigger pretty quickly when it comes to pulling pcs off routes early, especially with the country routes. They've been known to pull people in early when the fog is bad....

finaddict

I call out on anything past drizzle. That's usually two-three weeks worth or days a year. I don't drive in rain or snow. Not fond of the dark either. I may get a medical opinion that limits my feeder runs to daylight only.

Johney

I call out on anything past drizzle. That's usually two-three weeks worth or days a year. I don't drive in rain or snow. Not fond of the dark either. I may get a medical opinion that limits my feeder runs to daylight only.
LOL! Do let us know how that works out.

Last edited: