So it begins

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
There is a Central Region JAC contractual interpretation allowing stops to be

brought back on an 8-hour request, as long as the driver gives "a normal days

performance". Meaning.... you can't go out and lay down, then bring back work.

Drivers should make every attempt, to allow the company the opportunity to

fix the problem before bringing back stops. It doesn't happen that often.

-Bug-

>>Takes some big balls. You will be fired just like Larson did in getting this JAC ruling. Grieve the firing and being walked out. Then dead locked on up the tree. The driver doing this will eventually get his/her job back and will be made whole with back pay just like Larson did. But unless your made of steel it will be a bit nerve wracking.

A

Article 3

>>Takes some big balls. You will be fired just like Larson did in getting this JAC ruling. Grieve the firing and being walked out. Then dead locked on up the tree. The driver doing this will eventually get his/her job back and will be made whole with back pay just like Larson did. But unless your made of steel it will be a bit nerve wracking.
@Bubblehead has done it.
@UpstateNYUPSer has only dreamed about it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
@Bubblehead has done it.
@UpstateNYUPSer has only dreamed about it.
I have brought back stops on an 8hr request at least 5 times in the last 17 years and would relish the opportunity to take the issue to the JAC.

I would likely make money on the experience.

The Company feeds on fear, pushing the envelope on contractual issues, knowing who will fold up like a pill bug.

Can't count how many times that I have spoken to drivers who claim "I didn't get my 8hr request"?

Most just glaze over when I try and explain that it's not an option to "not get it", if they understand the process.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
....unless you were one of the customers still waiting to have their package(s) delivered...

I believe the Central Region has this language in their supplement.
It's up to mgt to not blatantly slam people day after day....that is their problem if the customer doesn't get the package on the promised day....

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Riiiiiight I've brought back stops at least a dozen times over my career.

I've seen in happen at least 100 times in my career never once seen anyone punished.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I've seen plenty of packages brought back to the building. Never seen any of it not get delivered.
First time I brought stops back, my On-Car Supe ultimately delivered them.

I told her repeatedly before I left, that there was way too much on my truck.
Sent multiple OMS messages, starting about noon, that I would not be able to finish.

Finally, about 4pm, from a customer's phone at a pickup, I spoke with my On-Car again.
She told me, before she hung up, that there was no "help" available and that I would have to finish the route myself.

At the 7 hour 50 min mark, I popped my head in her office and asked her if she wanted me to sheet the 26 remaining stops as missed, or did she have a plan for them?

She boiled as she walked to the center manager's office, and after about a minute, proceeded to her locker room and "browned up".

Were it today, I would have filed a supervisor working grievance on top of it.

Brownslave688

Sent multiple OMS messages, starting about noon, that I would not be able to finish.

Finally, about 4pm, from a customer's phone at a pickup, I spoke with my On-Car again.
She told me, before she hung up, that there was no "help" available and that I would have to finish the route myself.

At the 7 hour 50 min mark, I popped my head in her office and asked her if she wanted me to sheet the 26 remaining stops as missed, or did she have a plan for them?

She boiled as she walked to the center manager's office, and after about a minute, proceeded to her locker room and "browned up".

The time that made it pretty much quit happening to me I pulled up with about 40 semi rule stops still on the truck.

The district manager happened to be outside. I said I'll just leave the stops on the truck if that's ok. He starts going off saying I didn't tell anyone. I said I've been sending messages since 2pm and tossed him the keys.

I rarely had to worry about making my 8 hour after that.

A

Article 3

She realized there truly was "help" after all.
The time that made it pretty much quit happening to me I pulled up with about 40 semi rule stops still on the truck.

The district manager happened to be outside. I said I'll just leave the stops on the truck if that's ok. He starts going off saying I didn't tell anyone. I said I've been sending messages since 2pm and tossed him the keys.

I rarely had to worry about making my 8 hour after that.
That takes spine that isn't always exhibited in some locations. I know a center where the majority of drivers are 25-30+ yr employees and they got a look of fear in their eyes when they were told what their rights were. None of them wanted to test it. Benben'"s statement is correct in many buildings.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That takes spine that isn't always exhibited in some locations. I know a center where the majority of drivers are 25-30+ yr employees and they got a look of fear in their eyes when they were told what their rights were. None of them wanted to test it. Benben'"s statement is correct in many buildings.

I had to laugh, when a new Labor person was transferred in from a different Region.

They had no clue about the Central Region interp. When I brought it to their

attention, the person scoffed and said "I don't know if I would be hanging my

hat on a JAC decision". To which I smirked and said, it's not a decision.

It was rendered as contactual interpretation.... meaning, it was agreed too

by both the Union and the company.

-Bug-

giggity

There was a contract proposal suggesting drivers could automatically bring stops back without mgt approval if you had too many and on the 9.5 list....guess Hoffa cut that out of the wish list...if done the right way this would have been some beneficial language....

from what i've heard thru the grapevine (not sure of its validity), hoffa cut all of the potential ideas regarding 9.5's and work week hours out of the contract and stated he wanted drivers to work until 9p

Brownslave688

from what i've heard thru the grapevine (not sure of its validity), hoffa cut all of the potential ideas regarding 9.5's and work week hours out of the contract and stated he wanted drivers to work until 9p
I've heard rumors of 9.5 being thrown out to shorten progression. I just don't see it happening.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

Do you really think this is even a remote possibility? The entire driver corps would see this as a give back and a direct attack on them. The drivers represent the largest block of teamsters who actually vote. Staying out 'till 9p would result in many packages missing the planes and trailers.

You need to engage your brain and actually use it to critically evaluate what you are being told!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Do you really think this is even a remote possibility? The entire driver corps would see this as a give back and a direct attack on them. The drivers represent the largest block of teamsters who actually vote. Staying out 'till 9p would result in many packages missing the planes and trailers.

You need to engage your brain and actually use it to critically evaluate what you are being told!
If this happened, I would be afraid of the whole driver group grabbing pitchforks and torches and marching into sandy springs for a riot...

Brownslave688

People are just throwing out rumors they heard. Quit being so obtuse.