So it begins

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
We had a center manager a few years back who would talk about coaching his kids football team in the PCMs. I honestly feared for this center manager's safety because a rather large percentage of the drivers would break from the PCM pissed as :censored2: because in their eyes the center manager was rubbing it their faces that he could spend time with his family but we didn't have that option due to the BS random dispatches.

35years

Gravy route
9:00 curfew is just ridiculous unless it applies to peak season as well and is implemented in tandem with other overtime restrictions.

Would I be happy working till 9PM every night? No way.

Real overtime restrictions would use wording that gives the right to the driver to bring them back without discipline. Not...Work as directed, file (all the while working outrageous hours), wait, and hope the BA doesn't trade your grievances for another's discipline. Then maybe get paid a penalty, but excessive overtime continues.

My BA traded 35 strait days of me working over 9.5 (every day over 10 hours planned...and under allowed) to reduce another drivers suspension to a warning letter.

Lets make it simple...
Every driver shall be relieved from all duties after 9.5 hrs of work, if the driver so desires. Drivers shall notify the center by 3 PM if they will to miss stops to stay under 9.5 hours. Drivers will not be disciplined or harassed in any way for bringing back stops as missed to accommodate the 9.5 limit. This rule and wording shall apply January through October. During the peak months of November and December, the rule and wording shall apply except the 9.5 hour rule shall be 10 hours.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
We had a center manager a few years back who would talk about coaching his kids football team in the PCMs. I honestly feared for this center manager's safety because a rather large percentage of the drivers would break from the PCM :censored2: as :censored2: because in their eyes the center manager was rubbing it their faces that he could spend time with his family but we didn't have that option due to the BS random dispatches.
My kid plays my manager's kid every year. I have to burn an 8 hour request to make it to part of two of my kid's games per month. The xxxxxxx manager had the gaul to come up to me the morning after this year's game to complement my kid's team- that wiped the floor with his kid's team. Problem is I did not get to see the game!!!

This crap has to stop.
When I started, the average paid day was 8.3 hrs.
It jumped to 8.7 then 9.2 and now over 10.

Peak was about 50 hrs a week starting the week after Thanksgiving to a couple of days before Christmas. That would translate to 4 weeks this year. Not the entire months of November and December, 14 hours a day, 70 hours a week. Which is 9 weeks this year.
We need restrictions on peak hours. I don't instantly lose all other responsibilities 2 months of the year.

giggity

My kid plays my manager's kid every year. I have to burn an 8 hour request to make it to part of two of my kid's games per month. The xxxxxxx manager had the gaul to come up to me the morning after this year's game to complement my kid's team- that wiped the floor with his kid's team. Problem is I did not get to see the game!!!

This crap has to stop.
When I started, the average paid day was 8.3 hrs.
It jumped to 8.7 then 9.2 and now over 10.

Peak was about 50 hrs a week starting the week after Thanksgiving to a couple of days before Christmas. That would translate to 4 weeks this year. Not the entire months of November and December, 14 hours a day, 70 hours a week. Which is 9 weeks this year.
We need restrictions on peak hours. I don't instantly lose all other responsibilities 2 months of the year.
totally agree. last year the majority of my center were 13-14 hrs mon-fri and then we had to come in on sat and be a helper on our own route for as many hours as the 'driver' still had to burn. i put in several 75 hr weeks last peak ...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Things on paper often do not reflect real word applications. Most drivers are not out until 21:00 every day. The disruption in family life comes when The company intentionally makes every driver work well over 9.5 hours twice a week BUT the driver never knows which 2 days those will be! You can never count on being at Jr's soccer game, or chess tournament, or 'lil sister's recital or play. Forget about helping to coach Jr's ball team, or being den leader. You can not be counted on to "be there."

Back when my kids were growing up I was able to coach my son both in Little League and Babe Ruth------there is no way that I could do that now.

They knew that I tried my best to get to what I could and appreciated it when I did make it to one of their games or events at school.

A

Article 3

It means that while you like to portray yourself as a Joe Union you pale in comparison to Big Union Guy.
Why does this bother you? If your ego wasn't bigger than the internet you wouldn't care who posts what. Is it get tiring carrying that big chip on your shoulder all day? Your posting for the last few years, different than now that you're close to retirement, bashed the Union on a daily basis. Hypocrisy is your strong suit. Everyone on here sees it so don't try to change your stripes now because it is childish and ignorant of you to think that we forget who you really are.

A

Article 3

9:00 curfew is just ridiculous unless it applies to peak season as well and is implemented in tandem with other overtime restrictions.

Would I be happy working till 9PM every night? No way.

Real overtime restrictions would use wording that gives the right to the driver to bring them back without discipline. Not...Work as directed, file (all the while working outrageous hours), wait, and hope the BA doesn't trade your grievances for another's discipline. Then maybe get paid a penalty, but excessive overtime continues.

My BA traded 35 strait days of me working over 9.5 (every day over 10 hours planned...and under allowed) to reduce another drivers suspension to a warning letter.

Lets make it simple...
Every driver shall be relieved from all duties after 9.5 hrs of work, if the driver so desires. Drivers shall notify the center by 3 PM if they will to miss stops to stay under 9.5 hours. Drivers will not be disciplined or harassed in any way for bringing back stops as missed to accommodate the 9.5 limit. This rule and wording shall apply January through October. During the peak months of November and December, the rule and wording shall apply except the 9.5 hour rule shall be 10 hours.
Charges on the BA would be appropriate and Justified.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Things on paper often do not reflect real word applications. Most drivers are not out until 21:00 every day. The disruption in family life comes when The company intentionally makes every driver work well over 9.5 hours twice a week BUT the driver never knows which 2 days those will be! You can never count on being at Jr's soccer game, or chess tournament, or 'lil sister's recital or play. Forget about helping to coach Jr's ball team, or being den leader. You can not be counted on to "be there."
Ummm that's the job we signed up for.

MostHelpNeeded

Ummm that's the job we signed up for.

We call them 'snowflakes' or entitled or whatever. The current generation coming in is less willing to put up with a lot of the things we currently endure, the lack of free time one of them.

Can't blame them. They see our quality of life eroding, piece by piece, bits at a time. Not just at UPS, but the whole working population. It's no secret that the rich are getting richer, while the rest are getting poorer. Hopefully the young generation can put that frustration to good use and band together and start a new labor movement. This country really needs it.

Rack em

Made the Podium
He is retired now.
I would never cross that guy. He was someone who would not "play nice".
He at least let me know what he was doing.
You should have contacted the driver he helped out and asked that driver for your penalty pay since you got screwed over lol.

twoweeled

Management and non-union workers 'negotiate' with the Company alone. Good luck with that. I'll take my union negotiations every day of the week (good, bad or indifferent).
It's because of that attitude, we have the bad indifferent negotiators. Because many of us just accept it!

Dr.Brownz

Wow. An 11hr curfew.

Big help David hasslehoffa

This will in no way fix the 9-5 issue. Center will continue to pay out and drivers will continue to miss seeing their family's.

Did you not read the part about everyone being covered by 9.5 protection? Automatic triple time after 9.5 is going to become the new norm hopefully. OT is meant to be a penalty for the company working excessive hours, maybe this will help restore the balance.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We all know it won't. Not in the near future anyway.
Individual workers negotiating with a big company for their pay and benefits? It happens everyday in this country. Next time you happen to be in a McDonald's or a Wal-Mart ask one the people working there how their negotiations went.

BigBrown1234

Need to compare apples to apples. Many people negotiate their own wages, even truckers. Although you are correct that people with little skill set don’t have much to negotiate.

Job for job, FedEx offers somewhat higher wages. And, PayScale’s data shows that the other thing this Memphis, Tennessee-based carrier provides is a better vacation package. Even if you’ve worked at FedEx for less than a year, you are still eligible for 2.5 weeks of time off. Staff at UPS will not get over two weeks of vacation until they are employed between 1-4 years.

Fedex vs. UPS Jobs: Purple Pays Better

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Need to compare apples to apples. Many people negotiate their own wages, even truckers. Although you are correct that people with little skill set don’t have much to negotiate.

Job for job, FedEx offers somewhat higher wages. And, PayScale’s data shows that the other thing this Memphis, Tennessee-based carrier provides is a better vacation package. Even if you’ve worked at FedEx for less than a year, you are still eligible for 2.5 weeks of time off. Staff at UPS will not get over two weeks of vacation until they are employed between 1-4 years.

Fedex vs. UPS Jobs: Purple Pays Better
That really isn't a shocker...part timers have got the shaft for years even though ups has a "proud history of hiring from within..." so when I started over 25 years ago I was paid 8.50 or so an hour...now they are paid a buck more in 25 years....???? Pathetic

twoweeled

Individual workers negotiating with a big company for their pay and benefits? It happens everyday in this country. Next time you happen to be in a McDonald's or a Wal-Mart ask one the people working there how their negotiations went.
Who cares about how McDonald's negotiations went? Look at ours? Look at what UPS's profits are doing, look at what our raises amount too. Look at the decreases in coverage You'll get when you retire. Look at what's happening to your job security (if your a driver). Look at what's happened to the grievances being heard (and ignored). Look at independent's bringing trailers into your yard, instead of new Feeder drivers -which holds back package drivers from going into feeder, and holds part timers from going into package. Who the hell cares about how McDonalds is doing in their negotiations? Look at what's happened right here to you.