So long Ziggy

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
DB-HG-700px.gif

wkmac

I didn't know he had cancer. R.I.P.

As I've read many response from people who knew him, it does seem that David kept his cancer from becoming public knowledge.

This from the great Brian Eno suggests this may have been the case.

This photo was taken of David by his wife Iman this past Friday which was David's 69th birthday and the release date of his new album. He's looking good and dapper.

12552696_950807621621566_4111854333295657204_n.jpg

wkmac

I was fortunate to see David live in 72's Ziggy Stardust and then in 74's Diamond Dogs but it was the Berlin years with Brian Eno and producer Tony Visconti that to me showed the ability of David as an artist to adapt and re-invent himself. Moving to Berlin and away from the celebrity haze that is LA was the best thing for David and his music.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I liked his work. I especially liked the collaborations he did with Trent Reznor. He was unique and few musicians are.

I did like Peter Gabriel's cover of "heros".

Too many of the great artists are dying off.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In music history, IMO an event that served to bridge 3 generations in music as this was filmed in Sept. of 77'. Sadly we lost Bing a month later, Oct. 77', but this aired a month after Bing's death for his 1977' Christmas Special. Not sure anyone else in Rock music at the time could step up and do what David did.

Bowie stated he really hated this "video".
I personally like it a lot.

BrownArmy

Some random commentator on NPR remarked that Bowie was probably the only artist at the time that could have pulled that off...

Also, may have been Crosby's last performance.

Bye Major Tom, I hope your spaceship knows where to go!

wkmac

He actually hated the song itself, "Little Drummer Boy" and initially refused to do it. They reworked the song into a new arrangement and the rest as they say is history. Good read here on what took place.