So...what does management hate about US?

dillweed

Yes, we bash management and have lots of fun at their expense. What we hate about them, micromanagement blah, blah.

OK, so what do you think they hate about us? Face it, we don't always make their day.

I'm an inside worker and not the best team player. Do well at supporting them as far as my share of load, helping them and so forth but don't talk much. The drivel bugs me so they can't put me just anywhere.

Over-react to those papers they bring around, not a warning, but an attention-getter they want signed.

ImpactedTSG

What do they hate about you? Nothing. They are under tremendous pressure from above to hit sometimes unattainable numbers. It's nothing personal. If you were under that stress you would not always be the friendlist supervisor either.

U

UPSTeam

Yes, we bash management and have lots of fun at their expense. What we hate about them, micromanagement blah, blah.

OK, so what do you think they hate about us? Face it, we don't always make their day.

I'm an inside worker and not the best team player. Do well at supporting them as far as my share of load, helping them and so forth but don't talk much. The drivel bugs me so they can't put me just anywhere.

Over-react to those papers they bring around, not a warning, but an attention-getter they want signed.
....Im a 34 year Management Person...I started off PT unloader and Ive done every Hub and Metro job.....Ive also supervised/managed the same......I have nothing but respect for the UPS Teamsters...Both you and I are the the essence of UPS....We all are under somewhat differing amounts & directions of peer pressure .....I have always kept my perspective no matter what and have never ever spoke any louder that a normal speaking tone.....We all have jobs to do irregardless of outside pressures and internal dislikes......I wish the best to all UPSers on this 2 way highway.......

dillweed

What do they hate about you? Nothing. They are under tremendous pressure from above to hit sometimes unattainable numbers. It's nothing personal. If you were under that stress you would not always be the friendlist supervisor either.

This wasn't about unfriendly supervisors. There's lots of bragging and boasting on here about how good we are but no one is perfect. Seemed it would be interesting to try and look at ourselves through their eyes.

J

jeblatz

That I won't "play ball". I won't help them fudge their numbers. I won't hide their missed pieces by recording them as something else. I won't record time commited packages before they are actually delivered. I won't help them make their ridiculous numbers by breaking UPS policy or working unsafe. I won't skip breaks. I won't forgo doing my pretrip when they are chasing me out the door. I won't violate our contract to help them.......

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DW, I had no idea what you were trying to say in your thread which is why I gave my response--yeah, it was a little sarcastic so I apologize for that, but your "lurking" comment was quite funny. I have had over 200 posts since joining in Oct. 07 and like to think that I contribute to the discussion in a mostly positive way. BTW, what the heck is "drivel" and why does it bug you?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No, there is not a point and thanks for "pointing" it out to me. No wonder folks just lurk and don't post here.
I think its is an excellent idea for a thread, only the strong post, some never will. I also enjoy your contributions. Keep it up!

browniehound

This wasn't about unfriendly supervisors. There's lots of bragging and boasting on here about how good we are but no one is perfect. Seemed it would be interesting to try and look at ourselves through their eyes.

Dill, I understood you post. My observations over 9 years of driving for our "sups" is they hate the people that won't do their job. I work in group of about 12 drivers, and I think the sup likes all but one of us.

I have to say though, this 1 driver is a real ball-buster. So much of a fact that the driver group dislikes his because one of us alsways has to meet him to help him with HIS businesses.

I'm not saying the sup is without his faults, but he never bothers me.

They are probably the most mad as us because of our performance and that there is nothing they can do about it!

Channahon

Here's how I've seen hourlies through my eyes at UPS.

Vast majority come to work, do the job and go home, no problems, no complaints.

Small minority slack off and try to get away with whatever they can (disrespectful to others, not following methods, resist change and challenges anyone in management)

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
That I won't "play ball". I won't help them fudge their numbers. I won't hide their missed pieces by recording them as something else. I won't record time commited packages before they are actually delivered. I won't help them make their ridiculous numbers by breaking UPS policy or working unsafe. I won't skip breaks. I won't forgo doing my pretrip when they are chasing me out the door. I won't violate our contract to help them.......

If your management team expects you to play this kind of ball then they don't belong in management, in fact they don't belong at UPS!!:biting:

Tony31yrs

Most of them don't hate us at-until they get crap from their division or district manager. After that, we're just scum that never does enough work.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I believe that UPS is a team effort and we all have our parts. Management has many levels and must perform to spec also. For all of us to be able to communicate here in this forum is great.

UPS Lifer

All this post does is spin the management bash a different way.... Very creative!

Hate to me is a true 4 letter word that should be banished right out of the dictionary.

Now if you change that to who got under my skin and why.... I would have to say a small number of my own peer group. Usually, anyone who feels they are better than the next person or they think they know it all were my biggest challenge to preforming my job. These type of folks are at every level and make it hard to do your job.

UPS Lifer

We have to get away from using "unattainable numbers" as an excuse for our failure to be successful.

If UPS was perfect I would say you may have a case. But as we know ... it is not perfect!
There are many processes that can be improved that will push you to results you would not believe you could get to.

Start with communication and training and improving one process at a time. Learn to work together in a collective way to achieve that goal. Your with TSG - you should understand how to go to the root of the problem and fix that. Don't put a band aid on it. Fix the root and you fix the problem.