So What If...

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
...automation does displace 50 million or more workers by 2030? What do those people do to survive? Do we give a universal income to everyone? To just those displaced? To no one at all? What becomes of Social Security? I'm curious as to what you think will happen or should happen. Please, keep the opposite party hatred out of it. This is an issue that will affect all of us. What do you believe will happen? Will it happen at all?
I'm looking forward to all the opportunities and job security it will bring me. Automation will eliminate all the dog:censored2: jobs no one wants to do and all the little bull:censored2: jobs that shouldn't even be jobs anyway and replace them with new, better, and skilled technological jobs. People will just have to adapt to this new industrial revolution, but as if that's a bad thing.

vantexan

I'm looking forward to all the opportunities and job security it will bring me. Automation will eliminate all the dog:censored2: jobs no one wants to do and all the little bull:censored2: jobs that shouldn't even be jobs anyway and replace them with new, better, and skilled technological jobs. People will just have to adapt to this new industrial revolution, but as if that's a bad thing.
The technology will replace workers. Highly doubtful there will be an equal amount of more sophisticated jobs.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I would say it works too well and people have become soft. They don’t even recognize the level of wealth they live at even being in poverty in 21st century America. Our problem isn’t poor people of dying from hunger, our problem is poor people becoming lard asses and driving up the health insurance costs subsidizing their medications for being fat and sick.
How old are you?

Sportello

#YangGang2020

D2Fv3f1UwAIiqCp

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The technology will replace workers. Highly doubtful there will be an equal amount of more sophisticated jobs.
I promise you there will be enough new jobs in one way or another. Despite billions more people since then, nobody is living in a box because of the cotton gin. People will just have to find the initiative to better themselves.

bacha29

if you are fortunate enough to be part of the generation that right from the outset grew up with advancing technology the opportunity is there to learn, adapt and work the new technology. If you are a Boomer you might if you're lucky enough get through to the end of your working lifetime not significantly impacted negatively by the new high tech global economy . However if you're part of that niche group that was born a bit too soon for the change over to the new economy you could find yourself trapped between the "old' and "new" economy born too late for the one but too soon for the other. Then too if you're one of those people who also live in a part of the country that has aged power and communications infrastructure (and I live in one ) opportunities are likely to be in short supply.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
if you are fortunate enough to be part of the generation that right from the outset grew up with advancing technology the opportunity is there to learn, adapt and work the new technology. If you are a Boomer you might if you're lucky enough get through to the end of your working lifetime not significantly impacted negatively by the new high tech global economy . However if you're part of that niche group that was born a bit too soon for the change over to the new economy you could find yourself trapped between the "old' and "new" economy born too late for the one but too soon for the other. Then too if you're one of those people who also live in a part of the country that has aged power and communications infrastructure (and I live in one ) opportunities are likely to be in short supply.
Or you were a boomer and learned everything you could about applying technology, you did OK.

At my retirement party, two of my upper level management complimented me on staying pertinent and up to date on technology and business re-engineering.
UPS does a terrible job in Business Process Engineering.
Many UPSers my age wanted to live in the Industrial Age of United Parcel Service instead of the Informations Age of the new UPS.

bacha29

Or you were a boomer and learned everything you could about applying technology, you did OK.

At my retirement party, two of my upper level management complimented me on staying pertinent and up to date on technology and business re-engineering.
UPS does a terrible job in Business Process Engineering.
Many UPSers my age wanted to live in the Industrial Age of United Parcel Service instead of the Informations Age of the new UPS.
Yep you saw it coming and I commend you.

BrownArmy

I promise you there will be enough new jobs in one way or another. Despite billions more people since then, nobody is living in a box because of the cotton gin. People will just have to find the initiative to better themselves.

Lol, the D’s have been pilloried for saying the exact same thing.

MAGA

rod

Retired 22 years
...automation does displace 50 million or more workers by 2030? What do those people do to survive? Do we give a universal income to everyone? To just those displaced? To no one at all? What becomes of Social Security? I'm curious as to what you think will happen or should happen. Please, keep the opposite party hatred out of it. This is an issue that will affect all of us. What do you believe will happen? Will it happen at all?

Yes--make it about $100,000 a year to start. smh

El Correcto

god is dead
How old are you?
I’m late twenties. I’ve told the story before but my grandfather grew up in the dustbowl during the Great Depression era on a farm. He left home at 14 and made it to Texas for opportunity. Your telling me these men can’t figure it out you’re kidding yourselves. My grandfather ended up raising four children without a high school diploma starting from nothing. Owned a home and everything. He didn’t sit around waiting for the federal government to come fix his situation.

vantexan

I’m late twenties. I’ve told the story before but my grandfather grew up in the dustbowl during the Great Depression era on a farm. He left home at 14 and made it to Texas for opportunity. Your telling me these men can’t figure it out you’re kidding yourselves. My grandfather ended up raising four children without a high school diploma starting from nothing. Owned a home and everything. He didn’t sit around waiting for the federal government to come fix his situation.
My grandfather was born in 1919, died in 2001. Learned to drill water wells and years ago if you lived in the country in Florida you had to have a well drilled to have water. So he did very well for himself and family. Now there are suburbs and developments everywhere with their own water systems. And a lot more well drillers. So competitive that he stopped drilling by his 70's and just did repair work. Times change, availability of good jobs like factory jobs go overseas, and remaining jobs are rendered obsolete by automation. The only real saving grace is that the baby boomers are such a large generation that when we finally all get out of the way it'll increase opportunities for younger adults. And we haven't even touched on what to do with the millions of illegals that keep pouring in. I suspect that if finding a job becomes very hard then even Democrats will be for booting illegals out.

El Correcto

god is dead
If there are tens of millions displaced by new technology in the next decade or so, what do we do then?
What do we do if people sit on their ass for 10 years and ignore the writing on the wall without planning for their own future.

Oh the clear answer is handing them thousands every month, raising taxes or facing massive inflation.

vantexan

What do we do if people sit on their ass for 10 years and ignore the writing on the wall without planning for their own future.

Oh the clear answer is handing them thousands every month, raising taxes or facing massive inflation.
What can they plan for if the jobs just aren't there?