So you come in early in the AM and think it's no big deal...

JL 0513

Well, have you ever done the math on what your ultimate time donation to UPS is, or will be? Sorry, but I had to quantify a typical example.

From my observation, I say the average guy comes in about 25 minutes early to prepare for the day. Some come in like 45 minutes early, some only 10. But I'll use a rough average for this example.

I'll assume 5 days a week and 48 working weeks a year (4 weeks average vacations) for 30 years. By the way, this doesn't include any PM time you may spend off the clock but still work related.

Ready for your donation?

You will have given UPS 3,000 hours of your life to UPS without pay. That's 75 full 40 hour work weeks! Or just a year and a half.

Still feel like coming in early? :wink2:

I know, I know...It's for our own good. It makes our day smoother. Yup, which is why I'll continue doing it.

Still, I do believe it's unfair that there are a number of required tasks in the AM that take time yet the clock doesn't start until the PCM and then it's time to get on the road. UPS assumes our time donation. To set up our DIAD, collect our paperwork, getting talked to by our SUP,.....

Should we not be given at least 10 minutes a day for these tasks? Which would not include going through our package car or going through our EDD to plan our day.

What a win for UPS!

Thoughts on this?

I come in ten minutes early only because I want to allow time for accidents/construction/traffic delays on the way to work. I don't do anything work related until after the meeting. I don't sort the truck; if there are misloads, I'll find them on road. I also don't go through the truck and set it up stop for stop. If there are on area misloads, I'll find them when I find them and run them later. We have ed/pas for a reason. It's time to use them. I won't work off the clock just to fix the mistakes made by someone else.

PT Car Washer

Also against the law. Just had a big battle about this in my building. Labor manager said no driver is to be in his PC before his start time. A few drivers are really upset. Come in early set up my load and I can bonus 2 hours and be home with my family at 5:00. Most drivers say I don't work off the clock. Preload manager and Center manager real upset. Losing free labor.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Also against the law. Just had a big battle about this in my building. Labor manager said no driver is to be in his PC before his start time. A few drivers are really upset. Come in early set up my load and I can bonus 2 hours and be home with my family at 5:00. Most drivers say I don't work off the clock. Preload manager and Center manager real upset. Losing free labor.

If you had your DOL set up properly you wouldn't need to come in early to set up your load.

The only thing I come in early for is to fill my cooler at the ice machine and then walk by my truck to put my cooler and bag in my truck. I walk to the center office and get my DIAD and go to my locker to get my radio. If I have a couple extra minutes I will go put my radio in my package car. Then walk back and BS for a minute while waiting for the PCM to start. They don't get any free labor from me.

If you had your DOL set up properly you wouldn't need to come in early to set up your load.

The only thing I come in early for is to fill my cooler at the ice machine and then walk by my truck to put my cooler and bag in my truck. I walk to the center office and get my DIAD and go to my locker to get my radio. If I have a couple extra minutes I will go put my radio in my package car. Then walk back and BS for a minute while waiting for the PCM to start. They don't get any free labor from me.
they probably dont get any paid labor either!.lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Yeah I love how guys are pulling out right at start time and I'm there washing my truck 15 minutes after.

JL 0513

Never mind that UPS has me driving a 100 mile round trip commute everyday. In my area, seniority is shared among 6 centers. So when a position comes up and you want to drive, you gotta go where that position is, or pass it up to the next guy in line. My "home" center is 8 minutes from my home, now I'm stuck in a center 55 minutes from home for years to come. Look at all that unpaid time! And gas....and car wear and tear.... BS!

It's one of the reasons for getting to work early too. when you're that far out, anything can happen and you can't afford to be late.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Even if your dol was set up correctly it wouldn't matter anyway as the dol and dispatch are different everyday in my neck of the woods anyway, I don't know how it is where your at. You must have a good loader. That's rare that a loader is remotely trained right. In my neck of the woods its a STEVIE WONDER load everyday, their horrible. All these boneheads who say their not working for free going through their truck to clean up loaders and dispatchers idiot mistakes everyday aren't using their brains. A smart driver will always get his time back by bulljivin with customers all day or taking mini little breaks throughout the day as you keep your diad open at that stop before you close out the stop. Its not rocket science fellas, like really dude you people are hilarious. Go ahead and say it they will catch you stealing time. Well last time I checked theres no video camera in the truck, and they cant prove why you were at that stop for however long you were there. Some guys like to have a poopy day struggling and being frustrated over a super idiot load not me. Like I always say difference between a satisfactory work ethic and a great work ethic. Bottom line period.

PT Car Washer

Drivers are coming in early and working off the clock is to load their trucks and find any misloads. Cuts into Preloaders hours. Mostly the bonus babies.

JL 0513

you talk to your Oncar before start time???????

That's what really get's me. On car SUP and center manager goes around in the morning and talks to guys about how much they suck. Why is this allowed? "Wanna talk to me? Come see me when I get back at the center at like 19:00 and remain on the clock. Oh, you're not there? Sorry".

Even if your dol was set up correctly it wouldn't matter anyway as the dol and dispatch are different everyday in my neck of the woods anyway, I don't know how it is where your at. You must have a good loader. That's rare that a loader is remotely trained right. In my neck of the woods its a STEVIE WONDER load everyday, their horrible. All these boneheads who say their not working for free going through their truck to clean up loaders and dispatchers idiot mistakes everyday aren't using their brains. A smart driver will always get his time back by bulljivin with customers all day or taking mini little breaks throughout the day as you keep your diad open at that stop before you close out the stop. Its not rocket science fellas, like really dude you people are hilarious. Go ahead and say it they will catch you stealing time. Well last time I checked theres no video camera in the truck, and they cant prove why you were at that stop for however long you were there. Some guys like to have a poopy day struggling and being frustrated over a super idiot load not me. Like I always say difference between a satisfactory work ethic and a great work ethic. Bottom line period.

Your lucky......Stevie wonder load................I get the Heller Keller load!

JL 0513

Maybe it's because I've only been on as a driver since April that I still come in early and take a look at what I have in store for the day. I like to get a sense of what the day will be like so I flip through EDD. I take a look around the truck to get a feel of where certain things are.

I don't want to look like a bum this early in my career and have the center manager feel sorry he gave me seniority.

After a while, surely I'll dial it back.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
GREAT WORK ETHIC.jpg Great work ethic vs poor work ethic.jpgpoor ethic. Enough said. Granted theres plenty of guys that have bulk routes that cant do jack crap to their load we get that, but life to the left is a lot easier and stress free than life to the right. You could be heavy as balls on stops but if its organized no stress cruise control all day. Pix to left is 146 stops and 151 miles. Pix to right is 135 stops and 141 miles. Yes we know pieces come into play. Just an example go ahead and hate on it if you like no biggins as we all drink out of that same brown poopy cup lol.
GREAT WORK ETHIC.jpg
poor work ethic.jpg

PT Car Washer

Maybe it's because I've only been on as a driver since April that I still come in early and take a look at what I have in store for the day. I like to get a sense of what the day will be like so I flip through EDD. I take a look around the truck to get a feel of where certain things are.

I don't want to look like a bum this early in my career and have the center manager feel sorry he gave me seniority.

After a while, surely I'll dial it back.

A lot of guys do that. The problem is when you start doing someone else's job without getting paid for it.

nocturnalbuck

I will never look over load/car before start time. I will never skip a break and generally show up 15 min early just to bs. Even though I'm on a different route nearly every day I will hardly look at edd. I don't have a bad attitude, in fact, I really enjoy the challenge of the job. The idea of working off the clock really bothers me because it's actually taking money away from that person. So not only is a person working for nothing they are paying UPS to do so by getting paid less later.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I walked in this morning to my load looking like this. Almost every stop was set up piece by piece. Barely any looking for stuff. No need for sorting my truck out when I get in when the preloader does their job right. How dare they!!!!!