So you come in early in the AM and think it's no big deal...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I leave my house 10 minutes before start time. Hell today I rolled out of bed 17 minutes before start. Yeah it's nice living close.

cynic

I leave my house 10 minutes before start time. Hell today I rolled out of bed 17 minutes before start. Yeah it's nice living close.

I'm jealous, it takes me 15 minutes driving from the house to walking into the guard shack. You're right, living close rocks!! No traffic at 2am. :)

Jigawatts

I'm a pre-loader. I used to come in 10 minutes early just to slowly set up my area (top of the belt) and be ready to go. So I'm already giving UPS 50 minutes a week. Then they pushed my time back 5 minutes. I still came in early. Then they pushed it back another 5 minutes so I'm starting the same time as the unload. Now, by starting me later they're taking away 50 minutes a week on top of the 50 that I already gave them. I've learned my lesson.

If I'm there 5 minutes early I stand and wait for start time. So while I begin to set up the belt packages are already rolling past me. I won't even get into the safety issue of that. At the end of the day someone has to cart the missed pieces up to me, which means my drivers (and me) are getting out of there later. Makes no sense to me why they'd want to make that trade off, but I'm willing to play this stupid game if they are.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
View attachment 10283 Great work ethic vs View attachment 10284poor ethic. Enough said. Granted theres plenty of guys that have bulk routes that cant do jack crap to their load we get that, but life to the left is a lot easier and stress free than life to the right. You could be heavy as balls on stops but if its organized no stress cruise control all day. Pix to left is 146 stops and 151 miles. Pix to right is 135 stops and 141 miles. Yes we know pieces come into play. Just an example go ahead and hate on it if you like no biggins as we all drink out of that same brown poopy cup lol.
that's my 1200 today....125 stops....375 pieces. Some of us loaders still take pride in doing a good job so the drivers have a decent day. Helen Keller loads the trucks next to me lol.
Photo1360.jpg

BrownChoice

that's my 1200 today....125 stops....375 pieces. Some of us loaders still take pride in doing a good job so the drivers have a decent day. Helen Keller loads the trucks next to me lol.

Bb58, i spy with my little eye a package with orientation arrows the wrong way...

​Its okay though, i do it all the time lol

oldngray

nowhere special
One of first things loaders are taught is ignore the arrows (except for hazmats). And if I had loads like that I would be proposing to my loader.

Box Ox

I'm one of those loaders. I'm rotated through the heaviest routes at my center (and sometimes given a 4th) just so drivers can have a good day. It's like it's Christmas morning and they've just seen Santa Claus when they show up and see me loading, LOL.

Anyway, drivers shouldn't feel too butthurt over coming in early. They probably feel that way because they're paid so well when they are on the clock. Appreciate what you've got. Lots of people would love to be in your shoes.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm one of those loaders. I'm rotated through the heaviest routes at my center (and sometimes given a 4th) just so drivers can have a good day. It's like it's Christmas morning and they've just seen Santa Claus when they show up and see me loading, LOL.

Anyway, drivers shouldn't feel too butthurt over coming in early. They probably feel that way because they're paid so well when they are on the clock. Appreciate what you've got. Lots of people would love to be in your shoes.
I've been there too long....I don't get rotated anymore lol. But yes, my drivers pitch a fit when I'm out. 4th truck? You guys only load 3? Man, I wish...
4 trucks is a minimum....i have 5 until peak starts.

Box Ox

I've been there too long....I don't get rotated anymore lol. But yes, my drivers pitch a fit when I'm out. 4th truck? You guys only load 3? Man, I wish... 4 trucks is a minimum....i have 5 until peak starts.

Yep, typical day for me is 1,000-1,200 pieces across 3. Hoping I'll be pulled out for temp driving asap. 5 shouldn't be allowed. Way too far to fast walk if heavy volume is coming down the belt end-to-end for all your PCs the entire time.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Maybe it's because I've only been on as a driver since April that I still come in early and take a look at what I have in store for the day. I like to get a sense of what the day will be like so I flip through EDD. I take a look around the truck to get a feel of where certain things are.

I don't want to look like a bum this early in my career and have the center manager feel sorry he gave me seniority.

After a while, surely I'll dial it back.

You'll gain sense when you quit worrying about what your center manager thinks of you.

Dracula

I also remember during driving school the instructor talking about getting in early. He said this is part of being a "successful driver".

It just seems expected.

Being a successful driver has nothing to do with a manager's voice or opinion.

cynic

Hourly workers should never do anything off the clock, period. If you get hurt when off the clock are you expecting UPS to treat/cover that as an injury on duty? Off the clock?! Not only are you working for free you're exposing yourself and family to loss of income if injured.

Dracula

Hourly workers should never do anything off the clock, period. If you get hurt when off the clock are you expecting UPS to treat/cover that as an injury on duty? Off the clock?! Not only are you working for free you're exposing yourself and family to loss of income if injured.

Aww, they're too smart to get injured.