So, you want to be a trucker?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
In my case, the company trains you for 2 weeks, rides with you for a week or 2 if you're having difficulty, then sends you on your way. At least when I started, everyone had to come from package car with at least 1 year of safe driving. Management assumes you have the basics for driving a commercial vehicle safely. You swim or sink and go back to package car. If everyone went by the OP's original rant, nobody would ever make the move from PC to feeders. Best job in the company IMHO.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So 6 weeks total training, hhhhhmmmm.
And what percentage of mishaps do you think occur during this six weeks as opposed to someone that has a year or two experience. Who is banging more smile* up?
Waaaahhh, I drove a tractor for twenty years at another company but got passed on the seniority list by a long time union member. Waaaaahhhhhhhhh!

oldupsman

Waaaahhh, I drove a tractor for twenty years at another company but got passed on the seniority list by a long time union member. Waaaaahhhhhhhhh!

And that is exactly is what this is all about. Those damn package car drivers with 15 years seniority who jump in front of
me. I'm a much better driver than them. Just ask me I'll tell you.

quad decade guy

No ay whole it's not. But since you asked. I had 2 days "training" before I took my DOT road test. That

included first time ever sitting in a feeder or hearing about double clutching. Did I pass? yes. Was I

safe and trained? NO WAY. The OP made many declarative statements that are debatable but far from

absolute. One being that for the most part the system doesn't work and that we(circle of honor)(btw-

most of those circle of honor types got lots of that in pkg car) came from some former trucking job.

Just not true. Does the system work? Obviously it does in some capacity. Could it be better? OMG YES!

Lights on the yard? Reverse lights of some kind on a T/T would be very helpful(keeping flashers on).

But I do get the whole blindness thing. Now where I completely agree with the OP: jackass behavior

on the yard. Negligence, deliberately unsafe practices(you know all of them) leading to fatalities.

The OP is spot on. And OP-yes, there are recording devices(cameras) but nobody is watching.

Here is just one small example: I get to the dispatch lobby. There is a contractor(no vest) standing

there waiting for his trailer(taking away feeder work for a UPS employee). Me:" Hi are you a

contractor?" Con."Yes." Me:"Yard rules require a vest." With a room full of dispatchers and supervisors.

I know it's "not my job" but with contractors running around the yard in dark pajamas, talking on

cell phones, running stop signs and speeding....I say something because I don't want to be the one that

kills them. BTW-the same jackass behavior UPS people are doing(this includes pkg, fuelers, mechanics

and shifters. For this, I am derided, belittled and so on.

BottomFeeder909

UPS is the teamsters union largest employer no doubt but not it's only employer. I've got 23 years as a teamster. The primary goal of a collective bargaining agreement is to protect seniority and I oppose those that would say it's not.

BottomFeeder909

BottomFeeder909

The senior guys tell me you’re not a real feeder driver until you hit something or drop something...

I'm sure we've all had the unfortunate experience of hitting another trailer but hopefully that damage if any is minimal. It is just a sad scenario where an experienced feeder driver has the opinion that you need to hit something to be qualified.

BottomFeeder909

Do you see the way some of these other trucking companies drive?

Do you think UPS wants those kind of bad drivers working for them?

Thank you for the heads up! It's brought to my attention by your comments that you know you're right on the road I would say UPS feeder drivers exhibit the most professional and capable in their behaviors and habits.

And thank you for reminding me that my grievances are all about private property locations such as UPS facilities and customer locations these are where I see the truly unsafe acts.

oldupsman

DOT comes to the definitive conclusion that less-experienced truck drivers are significantly more likely to be identified as the critical reason behind semi-truck wrecks

Inexperienced Truckers and Crash Rates - Injured By Trucker

Yes. So? What's your point? I agree. Less experienced drivers have more accidents than experienced.
Same with package car drivers. Same with young kids behind the wheel of Dad's car. That doesn't disqualify
package car drivers from becoming feeder drivers. You just can't stand the idea of someone going to UPS
feeder school and jumping in front of you on the seniority list.

Thank you for the heads up! It's brought to my attention by your comments that you know you're right on the road I would say UPS feeder drivers exhibit the most professional and capable in their behaviors and habits.

And thank you for reminding me that my grievances are all about private property locations such as UPS facilities and customer locations these are where I see the truly unsafe acts.
Put your time in Rookie

Poop Head

Judge me.
UPS is the teamsters union largest employer no doubt but not it's only employer. I've got 23 years as a teamster. The primary goal of a collective bargaining agreement is to protect seniority and I oppose those that would say it's not.
23 years, I bet you knew that it was COMPANY seniority, when you accepted this job..

BottomFeeder909

Yes. So? What's your point? I agree. Less experienced drivers have more accidents than experienced.
Same with package car drivers. Same with young kids behind the wheel of Dad's car. That doesn't disqualify
package car drivers from becoming feeder drivers. You just can't stand the idea of someone going to UPS
feeder school and jumping in front of you on the seniority list.

You don't know what my thoughts are unless you are Karnac the Magnificent.
As I have stated before I respect and promote seniority issues.