So, you want to be a trucker?

Mack37

"Your own craft"? Give me a break, it's not like you're a plumber getting bumped by a guy who used to be a carpenter, you're a truck driver who's driving a different sized truck. Nobody is going to trade school to learn a different job, you get two weeks training (paid for by the company) and then you get your CDL. That's it. If you want to select work ahead of a 20 year driver then stick around for 21 years. It's just that simple.

Whatever turns your crank. Truck driving is considered a “skilled” craft here as it has licensing requirements whereas letter carriers and 5-ton folks don’t.

Doesn’t really matter either way as nobody is bringing their seniority with them here and it was the same way with the local when I was at UPS.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Whatever turns your crank. Truck driving is considered a “skilled” craft here as it has licensing requirements whereas letter carriers and 5-ton folks don’t.

Doesn’t really matter either way as nobody is bringing their seniority with them here and it was the same way with the local when I was at UPS.
The only "licensing requirements" are a driving skills test that you take one time. By that standard driving your car is a craft. Plumbing is a craft, cabinet making is a craft. Holding a steering wheel while you listen to the radio is not a craft, it's just a job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our mall driver, who also recently retired, decided to bid in to feeders during his last bid cycle. Yes, he received the requisite training, but he was one of those drivers that the OP is bitching about. He really should not have been behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler.

Mack37

The only "licensing requirements" are a driving skills test that you take one time. By that standard driving your car is a craft. Plumbing is a craft, cabinet making is a craft. Holding a steering wheel while you listen to the radio is not a craft, it's just a job.

Maintaining a CDL is the licensing requirement. USPS job categories are called crafts.

Are you a package car driver bitter towards those with a cdl or what?

542thruNthru

Maintaining a CDL is the licensing requirement. USPS job categories are called crafts.

Pretty sure @Jones is a feeder driver.

Are you a CDL holder that needs to inflate his ego by pretending it's some extremely difficult job to learn and hold?

Because you sound like one.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Maintaining a license is a requirement for driving your car, that doesn't make it a craft. I drove package for 18 years, been driving tractor trailers for the last 7. It's hands down the easiest job I've ever had in my life.

Mack37

Pretty sure @Jones is a feeder driver.

Are you a CDL holder that needs to inflate his ego by pretending it's some extremely difficult job to learn and hold?

Because you sound like one.

Certainly not, been doing it a long time so I could care less at this point. I would argue that it is somewhat difficult to master at a high level but you can also get by being mediocre as we see all the time. One big enough screw up can kill a commercial driving career pretty quick so I would say it’s only easy to hold if you’re good at it.

Maintaining a license is a requirement for driving your car, that doesn't make it a craft. I drove package for 18 years, been driving tractor trailers for the last 7. It's hands down the easiest job I've ever had in my life.

We’ll contact the Postmaster General because the Postal Service is the one that has it as a skilled craft, which is what I said. Let them know how much the terminology they use upsets you.

Easier then what? Lugging boxes upstairs? So it’s physically easier? What else?

BottomFeeder909

Craft dictionary definition | craft defined
The definition of a craft is a special skill or art or an occupation that requires a special skill or art.

I love the way ignorant people make up their own definitions to suit their argument.

PT Car Washer

Craft dictionary definition | craft defined
The definition of a craft is a special skill or art or an occupation that requires a special skill or art.

I love the way ignorant people make up their own definitions to suit their argument.
Driving a truck is a craft? My dad told me years ago that driving a truck is something you do when you can't do anything else. He is a retired Teamster truck driver.