Some new NY members

local804

Syracuse (WSYR-TV) - When you think of the Teamsters union, you don't usually think of doctors, but a few hundred in the Syracuse area have joined the union and more continue to sign on.

Federal law prohibits them from forming their own national union so these local doctors say the Teamsters can help them fight big insurance companies.

Dr. Dennis Nave has the traditional medical devices doctors use to treat patients, but he also has a different kind of tool. Nave, along with about 300 other doctors in the area, has the Teamsters helping him.

“It did send shock waves and people started saying oh, there must be a problem in health care, how is it they have to turn to the Teamsters for help."

Nave says he's hearing about more and more patients being denied medical procedures or tests by insurance companies. Nave says he's been collecting written statements from other physicians where access to care has been denied.

“I don't think people go out of their way to order tests that aren't necessary. I don't have financial interest in ordering MRI's or CAT scans, it certainly doesn't make me rich because I don't own any such machines I only do it when I feel its necessary and what's important for a patient according to my training."

Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield is one of the larger insurers in the area, when we contacted them to talk about the idea of doctors unionizing they said they have no comment on the issue.

Nave says, “Maybe it's time physicians step up to the plate and recognize the community needs help and we should act responsibly and in addition physicians need help too and sometimes we have to turn to other groups for that help."

The union hasn't directly taken on the insurance companies yet. Right now Nave says the Teamsters are helping get the attention of state lawmakers that physicians haven't been able to on their own.

Physicians are pushing for a collective bargaining bill that would allow them to go to insurers, as a group, to negotiate what they say are better plans for patients.

A spokesperson for the group America's Health Insurance Plans, the national association representing insurers, says unionizing is unnecessary and won't address the real issue which is aligning quality care and payment.

Copyright 2007 Clear Channel Broadcasting. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Save/Share Story
digg reddit
newsvine Google
del.icio.us Yahoo!

Damok

I can't remember where I read it but I recall seeing something about organizing "white collar" folk as the next trend in Labor. Should make for some very interesting news if nothing else.

athena

I think this is great. It is about time the insurance companies stopped profiting from the weaknesses of the human condition. It is appalling that anyone would profit off the fear humans have of sickness, disability, injury, and even death. This is not even to mention legal requirements to be insured (e.g. liability insurance for vehicles). I am not against insurance out right but more so the way insurance companies have been so dishonest and conniving.

Sammie

Great news. Nurses need to join as well. But for now, it's high
time that doctor and patient rights were revamped. This denying and delaying benefits to patients by insurance companies has gone on long enough. And, this unionization would more than likely help physicians with their ridiculously expensive malpractice insurance as well as getting them Teamsters health coverage, vacation and pension benefits; items they were probably responsible for on their own.

Imagine them now being able to file a grievance regarding patient care, staffing, and tight fisted insurance companies. And winning that grievance. What a great feeling that must be!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Great news. Nurses need to join as well. But for now, it's high
time that doctor and patient rights were revamped. This denying and delaying benefits to patients by insurance companies has gone on long enough. And, this unionization would more than likely help physicians with their ridiculously expensive malpractice insurance as well as getting them Teamsters health coverage, vacation and pension benefits; items they were probably responsible for on their own.

Imagine them now being able to file a grievance regarding patient care, staffing, and tight fisted insurance companies. And winning that grievance. What a great feeling that must be!
Im willing to assist in organizing some nurses! I beleive every nurse needs a good teamsterizing!:happy-very:

Sammie

We are all in agreement, we want to help the nurses organize!

[evil]WE
WANT
NURSES[/evil]

Sounds like a Win/Win to me! You all could protect those helpless
little damsels from harm while they look after your owies.

Unless anyone objects....

Now as for the male nurses, those novelties in the profession who probably have to work twice as hard and have twice the knowledge in order to receive half the respect from their female coworkers as other female nurses do.... (Women know all about this...)

I, as a female patient, would have no problem with a male nurse!!:clap: