Some preloaders today threatened write up if clock out

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
Seems like common sense to me. The job has a set start time, but no set end time. Plan accordingly
Well back when I was hired as a preloader there was a set time 0300 to 0900. Never was alerted to there being times when you would be required to stay longer than that shift. Maybe it’s just our center that gives set times.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Seems like common sense to me. The job has a set start time, but no set end time. Plan accordingly

Just like ups knows how much volume they will process in a given shift, they should plan accordingly. Actually having no set end time literally makes it impossible to plan for anything else. Just plan on being there all day, I guess? For drivers who don't need to work two jobs, you'll get no argument from me. Part timers deal with a different set of circumstances, they have it hard enough as it is, why make it harder? UPS really needs to be saved from themselves on part timer issues, they are trying their hardest to cut their own throat.

WTFm8

I still have emails from HR before hiring saying the delivery position is between hours of 8am-8pm for $18.75 to start and preload/local is optional hours if not driving.(granted peak and probably a dozen blow-out days from excessive 9.5 or 8hr requests have had me out till 9:30 range and 10 once.)

Previous center manager tried to force local as mandatory because of staffing issues and didn’t acknowledge the 30 in 90 rule for new-hires for driving attempting to force new-hires to do it consecutive and then continue till it’s their turn to do 30 on-road days.

After driving I help with local almost always ‘if directed’ but finishing at 10:30pm and being called at 2:30am asking me to come in got old. Quick.

Grieved for harassment and mentioned the emails. Came to a stop.

Being low seniority in a building with staffing/injury issues and supervisors/management too afraid to ask others to stay 1-3hrs sucks... plus 2-3 supervisors doing bargain unit work in unloading/sorting areas.

PT don’t grieve it because they “just want to get done” and supervisors like to misquote the contract/supplement ‘service failures’ prevention part as allowing them to work... yet frequently asking volunteers to go home after 1-3hrs while rarely anybody working over 5hrs (3.5-4.5 usually).

Hint: It’s not a service failure risk if you’re stealing bargaining unit work and sending home everybody after 3.5hrs or trying to send home people prior to that making them have to groeve the 3.5hr guarantee.

Last edited:

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Get this. Today I over heard some loaders try to leave after their shift was over at 9 because one had school and the other had another job. They were being made to clean up and load the other belts because ups is so cheap they don’t want to pay for the guys they need. A union steward ended up going with them to clock out and made damn sure the sup was set straight. I can’t believe that :censored2: would try to threaten them like that.

Dave would of said they did the correct thing walking to clock out, but should of went back and cleaned up other's areas to save the company money.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
For those of you still having problems grasping the issue, here is an article posted on an HR management firm's website that might help clarify things. Not a single mention of leaving work early meeting the criteria of job abandonment, not even as a question. Copyright on the webpage is 2018, which, by today's standards, could still be considered antiquated, I guess...

Q: What should an employer do when an employee fails to show up for work? Is this job abandonment?

A: Job abandonment occurs when an employee has no intention of returning to the job and hasn't notified the employer of his or her intention to quit. Generally, this is considered a voluntary termination. However, the employer must comply with the state's unemployment division's definition of voluntary termination.

Employers are cautioned not to assume all “no call/no shows” are automatic job-abandonment cases. Occasionally, employees are unable to contact the employer, such as in medical situations, incarceration or some other form of crisis. If it's a medical condition, the employer is still obligated to determine if the absence is covered under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and whether any leave will be paid leave or unpaid FMLA leave. In addition, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may apply in specific cases. Employers must investigate before making any determination to avoid FMLA and ADA claims, as well as wrongful termination claims.

Employers should develop a policy defining how many days of absence will be considered job abandonment. There are no federal or state laws that specify the number of days. However, in some states, case law establishes three days as reasonable. Three days is the most common measure and will provide employers with enough time to investigate the absence (but not long enough to put the company in a position of holding a job for someone who will never return).

In addition to policy development, employers must develop investigation procedures and follow the termination process. The process for investigating must minimally include contacting or an attempt to contact the employee before issuing the termination. Send a job-abandonment letter that explains the employer's position and requires the employee to contact the employer if there are any circumstances of which the employer is not aware, such as a medical issue that could potentially change the employer's action. Send the letter by registered mail and keep the return receipt in the employee's file for proof of notification. Follow termination procedures, such as updating the employee's file with documentation and termination dates, sending COBRA and insurance forms, if applicable, and cutting the final paycheck according to state requirements.

A sound policy and procedure will provide proper guidance and reduce employer liability by leaving little room for potentially costly errors.

Article by By Vicki Neal, PHR-CA, is an HR Knowledge Advisor in SHRM's HR Knowledge Center from http://www.shrm.org/kc/solutions/articles/archives/CMS_025358.asp#P-8_0

7YSOrgK.gif

Over disciplined0123

Get real. It is a PT job for $10/hr and no benefits. And you have to pay Union dues to get treated like dirt.
So make sure ya all vote this contract and let’s get it above 30 percent for par timers voting when they have majority vote. . Typically how everyone complains but does the one and only thing they can to help them self’s which is VOTE

Daf

And when you lose your second job because you were not "allowed" to leave UPS at the normal time, what is UPS's responsibility in the matter? I believe when a person is financially damaged by another person's actions, they have legal recourse. It's not a contractual issue, so there's no requirement to go through the grievance process. Slap a part time sup with a law suit, might change his tune real quick.

Leaving without "permission" is not job abandonment. Just because management wants to trump up disciplinary charges against someone by redefining a term does not make it true.
Usually what I see happening is that management allows their favorites to punch out at the same time they are threatening others with job abandonment for punching out. This ruins the company argument in a hurry.

Indecisi0n

There has to be some give and take. The only reason a lot of part timers can even afford to work for UPS is because they have second and/or third job. If you can't make it to your second job on time because a preload sup won't "let" you leave you won't be keeping that second job for very long. You don't keep that second job, you can't afford to work for UPS anymore. Doesn't exactly make sense for UPS to screw over the employees who actually care about getting to work on time. I was lucky enough to have a second job that was pretty flexible, most others aren't so lucky, and UPS needs to respect that.
And management can call it whatever they want, the actual definition of job abondonment is leaving a job with no intention of returning, not simply leaving before getting "permission". It is an administrative designation so hr can put something in the file when they terminate someone who no call no shows for several days. Most companies, UPS included in areas with strong locals, give you three days of ncns before calling it job abandonment.
Now that they will be making $13 an hour they will be rolling in the dough and be able to quit those other jobs.

542thruNthru

Usually what I see happening is that management allows their favorites to punch out at the same time they are threatening others with job abandonment for punching out. This ruins the company argument in a hurry.

This is why we don't accept the "Seniority gives you the right to work, not to go home."

So they can't pull that BS on a senior employee.

AwashBwashCwash

Thread A
Part Timer - We need higher wages I can't afford to live on $10 an hour.
Driver - It's a part time job it was never designed to be a sole source of income.

Thread B
Part Timer - My sup won't let me leave at our usual end time. I've made other commitments based around our regular schedule and I need to leave by a certain hour to make it to my other job.
Driver - If you don't like it then quit.

The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

km3

It's not antiquated, that's the definition. Every employer uses that definition. Only management, and I guess many union officials, with no understanding of HR use the term incorrectly. By using that term they are trying to make it sound like you voluntarily quit. If you voluntarily quit, the union can't really fight to get your job back. That makes a huge difference, and why I object to the term being used for situations that do not meet the definition. If the company terminates you for job abandonment, the first thing the union would have to do before they could even defend you is establish that you did not abandon your job.

Apparently, in your building, leaving without permission is not grounds for termination. I'm a big boy, I know when my job is done, if management needs me to stay longer, they can direct me to. If doing so has adverse effects on me financially, and I inform them of that, then they can face the consequences.

I get that UPS can, and has, terminated people for any reason they can make up. The main reason for this is that in one case, an arbitrator decided that the cardinal sins list was inclusive, not exclusive, completely ignoring the fact that the company and the union agreed that the cardinal sins list was exclusive. What the hell is the point of an inclusive cardinal sins list? So, yes, UPS can basically do what they want, but why make it easier on them and allow them to make up imaginary bs to fire us over?

As I said, I'm dealing with reality. And the reality is that many companies, including UPS, see leaving early without notification or permission as job abandonment. So that's what it is.

It is grounds for termination in my building. The fact that it isn't enforced is a separate issue.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
As I said, I'm dealing with reality. And the reality is that many companies, including UPS, see leaving early without notification or permission as job abandonment. So that's what it is.

It is grounds for termination in my building. The fact that it isn't enforced is a separate issue.

I have shown you the path to enlightenment, I can't force you to take it. Any company that sets policies in line with your understanding open themselves up to liability.