Someone Tell Me How The Ground "SCAM" Is Any Different Than Any Other Franchise Model

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Re: Someone Tell Me How The Ground "SCAM" Is Any Different Than Any Other Franchise M

What's that? Meaning your drivers might be able to pick up their packages when they're supposed to?

We hear it all the time, "Ground was supposed to pick these up 3 days ago."

I fail to understand how this is possible. A missed pickup is pretty high on the list of getting a "talking to". Now countless times I have been dispatched for what turned out to be an Express pickup, but I code it "21" Express pickup, then msg CPC with any relevant info like "Box in Manager's Office..ALERT COURIER TO BRING HANDCART", etc...

bbsam

Staff member
Re: Someone Tell Me How The Ground "SCAM" Is Any Different Than Any Other Franchise M

What I "regurgitate" is simple fact. You can cough-up all the alternate cases you want, and the fact still remains that companies holding their contracted workers to employee-like requirements end-up creating what they didn't want in the first place....actual employees.

which trucking companies?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

which trucking companies?

I'll try to find the link. Most of the info comes from an extensive article in Heavy Duty Trucking Magazine, talking exclusively about owner-operator companies that had been forced to make their drivers employees.

MAKAVELI

What's that? Meaning your drivers might be able to pick up their packages when they're supposed to?

We hear it all the time, "Ground was supposed to pick these up 3 days ago."

I fail to understand how this is possible. A missed pickup is pretty high on the list of getting a "talking to". Now countless times I have been dispatched for what turned out to be an Express pickup, but I code it "21" Express pickup, then msg CPC with any relevant info like "Box in Manager's Office..ALERT COURIER TO BRING HANDCART", etc...
It's possible because you aren't FedEx employees. There is a middle man to go through, the contractor, that makes holding the driver accountable at the time of pu useless. At express a missed pu is worse than an accident. You are immediately talked to or receive an olcc. I don't even think most contractors have a system in place to hold their drivers accountable other than a " talking to".

Doc Sorting Dude

Fred S started Ground back in 1999-2000. It's been thirteen years since and no one has altered the ground platform. You are not going to see a change because the majority of contractors in my area are just happy to get to the point of having multiple trucks and routes where the original investor can sit back and watch his own business grow. Turnover seems high as the people seem to last only a year or two, but as long as someone's willing to do the work for whatever wage or minimal benefits; they will keep believing FDX structure is valid.

I am not a contractor. I see the Ground and HD driver's everyday on my route; their trucks are full to the hilt. Ground has multiple trucks at many of the pups I service everyday. As long as the volume is there and more to come on the horizon I can see why most contractors won't rock the boat. Take a look at many of these posts, its the Express people that saying how crummy working for Ground is.

One last note, the Ground guy makes six figures and says the more lucrative routes in the major industrial areas are well over a million dollars a year in revenue. All I can say is after all the expenses Ground has to deal with I bet they make more than any Express courier.

Code 82 Approved

I considered moving back to my hometown and contacted a contractor there... At that time about a year ago, he & sons & wife had 56 routes at Ground & HD. He claimed to have expenses of close to a million in repairs and fuel alone. His next step was his own repair facility.
No BS. Kansas City Area.

Code 82 Approved

It's possible because you aren't FedEx employees. There is a middle man to go through, the contractor, that makes holding the driver accountable at the time of pu useless. At express a missed pu is worse than an accident. You are immediately talked to or receive an olcc. I don't even think most contractors have a system in place to hold their drivers accountable other than a " talking to".

Friday I picked up a skid of CAN International pkgs not ready when the original pu driver was there. For whatever reason the other driver wasn't able to wait around..I made sure all 96 boxes were on our outbound. That is the pride and dedication you guys never acknowledge. And most of my terminal goes that extra mile.

MAKAVELI

Fred S started Ground back in 1999-2000. It's been thirteen years since and no one has altered the ground platform. You are not going to see a change because the majority of contractors in my area are just happy to get to the point of having multiple trucks and routes where the original investor can sit back and watch his own business grow. Turnover seems high as the people seem to last only a year or two, but as long as someone's willing to do the work for whatever wage or minimal benefits; they will keep believing FDX structure is valid.

I am not a contractor. I see the Ground and HD driver's everyday on my route; their trucks are full to the hilt. Ground has multiple trucks at many of the pups I service everyday. As long as the volume is there and more to come on the horizon I can see why most contractors won't rock the boat. Take a look at many of these posts, its the Express people that saying how crummy working for Ground is.

One last note, the Ground guy makes six figures and says the more lucrative routes in the major industrial areas are well over a million dollars a year in revenue. All I can say is after all the expenses Ground has to deal with I bet they make more than any Express courier.
Maybe the contractors but not their drivers.

barnyard

KTM rider

Maybe the contractors but not their drivers.

The thing is, as long as there are almost no other good paying jobs around, contractors will not have a problem finding employees. Every year another HS class graduates and amongst those graduates are kids that will NEVER go to college. They will be looking for a job. In my area, I would guess that there are 3-500 HS graduates every year that do not go to college. Perfect truck driver candidates.

Supply and demand. When they have problems hiring people, they will raise their wages, probably not a second sooner.

MAKAVELI

Friday I picked up a skid of CAN International pkgs not ready when the original pu driver was there. For whatever reason the other driver wasn't able to wait around..I made sure all 96 boxes were on our outbound. That is the pride and dedication you guys never acknowledge. And most of my terminal goes that extra mile.
Well good for you but from what I've seen and heard you are in the minority.

Code 82 Approved

The thing is, as long as there are almost no other good paying jobs around, contractors will not have a problem finding employees. Every year another HS class graduates and amongst those graduates are kids that will NEVER go to college. They will be looking for a job. In my area, I would guess that there are 3-500 HS graduates every year that do not go to college. Perfect truck driver candidates.

Supply and demand. When they have problems hiring people, they will raise their wages, probably not a second sooner.

No new HS Grad has this:
"To be qualified you must:
- Be a minimum of 21 years old
- Be able to pass a Pre-employment drug screen and random screens post hire.
- Possess a valid DOT physical card or be able to pass a Pre-employment physical to obtain one.
- Have a minimum of 1 year of proven driving experience within the last 3 years, driving a P-1000 step van, straight truck or bigger, NO CDL required.
- Have a MVR that fits the FedEx requirements.
- Be physically able to lift and carry up to 150 lbs unassisted.
Be able to read, write and speak English proficiently.
NO misdemeanor/criminal record.
NO reckless driving charges.
NO pending misdemeanor/criminal charges."

These are our bare minimums.

barnyard

KTM rider

So it takes 3 years post graduation.

You are missing my point.

Every 3 years another qualified group of 21 year olds is ready to do the job.

Code 82 Approved

I didn't have one(point) but at 21 if you didn't have the gumption or smarts to get to college, you likely have tickets, DUI or other problems disqualifying you for the job at 21.

My crew lost a driver for "open container" even before it went to judgement. They don't play around. And after his "3 yrs are up... unless he drove a similar vehicle, he can wait again for one year of experience in the last 3"

MAKAVELI

I didn't have one(point) but at 21 if you didn't have the gumption or smarts to get to college, you likely have tickets, DUI or other problems disqualifying you for the job at 21.

My crew lost a driver for "open container" even before it went to judgement. They don't play around. And after his "3 yrs are up... unless he drove a similar vehicle, he can wait again for one year of experience in the last 3"
First of all, just because you don't go to college right out of high school doesn't mean you are a pot smoking, drunk living off your parents. College is not for everyone. Second of all it's not that hard to be " qualified" to be a ground driver. The qualifications are pretty easy to acquire , it's not rocket science.

barnyard

KTM rider

First of all, just because you don't go to college right out of high school doesn't mean you are a pot smoking, drunk living off your parents. College is not for everyone. Second of all it's not that hard to be " qualified" to be a ground driver. The qualifications are pretty easy to acquire , it's not rocket science.

That was my point.

CJinx

I didn't get into college until I was 23 as I simply could not afford it.

Nick9075

Is it true that there are 'no other good paying jobs around'?? An apprentice electrician, welder or in most trades can get at least $20 an hour, more if you can get into the unions (here in the Boston you need to have connections but many of these kids who will 'never goto college' get into the trades and are making in the six figures by age 30 and eventually own their own company) Actually people who are in their early - mid 20's are finding jobs (according to the latest employment reports while those age 40 and above are finding no interest ). These bleeding heart articles I read on CNN, Huffington Post about 'Millennials' -- the privileged entitled children who are in their 20's make me want to throw up -- things were much worse 20 years ago right after the recession of the early 1990s.

Unemployment is falling and there is a smaller pool of applicants than in 2009..... Did Ground & HD exist in the early 2000's when unemployment was 5%?? Even now, kids graduating high school with little or no work experience think they are are worth $60,000 a year.

Nick9075

And there is also drug use & possession particularly prescription drugs and from what I have read Heroin has made a comeback. Many also who did not have the 'smarts to goto college' likely have other misdeamenors or felonies on their record by age 21-- assault & battery charges from too many bar fights, DUIs or some degree of Narcotics possession.

xfdxgroundmgmt

Ok I haven't read all the posts here, however anyone that's wants to keep bashing ground should say thanks for keeping me employed! Sorry that you make money! RPS was around with barcodes long before any purple promise, Hell they knew to dump Roadway way back when, Home Delivery was in the works as well as other projects. So all you haters can suck on that! The FedEx name just allowed RPS to expand faster, that's all. IT was a better managed company back then too before the FedEx Takeover, would like to see if things were flipped flopped and Dan stayed with his people and Fred and his people were asked to leave? Think about that!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Ok I haven't read all the posts here, however anyone that's wants to keep bashing ground should say thanks for keeping me employed! Sorry that you make money! RPS was around with barcodes long before any purple promise, Hell they knew to dump Roadway way back when, Home Delivery was in the works as well as other projects. So all you haters can suck on that! The FedEx name just allowed RPS to expand faster, that's all. IT was a better managed company back then too before the FedEx Takeover, would like to see if things were flipped flopped and Dan stayed with his people and Fred and his people were asked to leave? Think about that!

WTF?