Someone Tell Me How The Ground "SCAM" Is Any Different Than Any Other Franchise Model

MAKAVELI

Ok I haven't read all the posts here, however anyone that's wants to keep bashing ground should say thanks for keeping me employed! Sorry that you make money! RPS was around with barcodes long before any purple promise, Hell they knew to dump Roadway way back when, Home Delivery was in the works as well as other projects. So all you haters can suck on that! The FedEx name just allowed RPS to expand faster, that's all. IT was a better managed company back then too before the FedEx Takeover, would like to see if things were flipped flopped and Dan stayed with his people and Fred and his people were asked to leave? Think about that!
Sounds like someone forgot to take his meds.

Nick9075

Re: Someone Tell Me How The Ground "SCAM" Is Any Different Than Any Other Franchise M

First of all, just because you don't go to college right out of high school doesn't mean you are a pot smoking, drunk living off your parents. College is not for everyone. Second of all it's not that hard to be " qualified" to be a ground driver. The qualifications are pretty easy to acquire , it's not rocket science.

Actually regarding the above quote:
The first sentence -- unfortunately yes there is that stigma especially in the more affluent upper middle class parts of the northeast.. Next if one is 'living off their parents' then the parents are at fault because they are enabling it.

MAKAVELI

First of all, just because you don't go to college right out of high school doesn't mean you are a pot smoking, drunk living off your parents. College is not for everyone. Second of all it's not that hard to be " qualified" to be a ground driver. The qualifications are pretty easy to acquire , it's not rocket science.

Actually regarding the above quote:
The first sentence -- unfortunately yes there is that stigma especially in the more affluent upper middle class parts of the northeast.. Next if one is 'living off their parents' then the parents are at fault because they are enabling it.
And you think that because someone is in college that that description doesn't apply to them? I would bet that the ratio in a lot of colleges of kids just there to party and eventually drop out pretty high. I agree with you about parents enabling their kids but that is not exclusive to kids who do not go to college.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Re: Someone Tell Me How The Ground "SCAM" Is Any Different Than Any Other Franchise M

my sentiments exactly... Was there even one lucid, cohesive thought in that entire run-on paragraph? I think that was supposed to have been some sort of bizarre diatribe if I'm not mistaken.

Whatever it was, it's just another tragic example of what can happen when people choose to post under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

overflowed

my sentiments exactly... Was there even one lucid, cohesive thought in that entire run-on paragraph? I think that was supposed to have been some sort of bizarre diatribe if I'm not mistaken.

Whatever it was, it's just another tragic example of what can happen when people choose to post under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Holy ****te" that was awesome. Thanks exfdexground buba huba that was sweet. Just need a little more comedy here.

MaineGroundDriver

They do care when the local ground driver doesn't pu their packages for three days. You guys just aren't reliable enough to handle critical, time sensitive shipments.

The only pkgs not being picked up in my work area are ones not called in as pickups and I don't happen to deliver to them on a certain day .. I can't read minds and know they have a pkg waiting for me .. other than that, all pkgs always get picked up ..

MAKAVELI

They do care when the local ground driver doesn't pu their packages for three days. You guys just aren't reliable enough to handle critical, time sensitive shipments.

The only pkgs not being picked up in my work area are ones not called in as pickups and I don't happen to deliver to them on a certain day .. I can't read minds and know they have a pkg waiting for me .. other than that, all pkgs always get picked up ..
Not on my route. I hear it all the time. I called it in 3 days ago.

TUT

I didn't have one(point) but at 21 if you didn't have the gumption or smarts to get to college, you likely have tickets, DUI or other problems disqualifying you for the job at 21.

Now that is straight bull**** right there.

TUT

Ok I haven't read all the posts here, however anyone that's wants to keep bashing ground should say thanks for keeping me employed! Sorry that you make money! RPS was around with barcodes long before any purple promise, Hell they knew to dump Roadway way back when, Home Delivery was in the works as well as other projects. So all you haters can suck on that! The FedEx name just allowed RPS to expand faster, that's all. IT was a better managed company back then too before the FedEx Takeover, would like to see if things were flipped flopped and Dan stayed with his people and Fred and his people were asked to leave? Think about that!

There are actually several truths in that.

bbsam

Staff member

I'll try to find the link. Most of the info comes from an extensive article in Heavy Duty Trucking Magazine, talking exclusively about owner-operator companies that had been forced to make their drivers employees.
I think Fedex has already done this. All contractors are required to own multiple routes and treat their employees and not subcontractors.

Anyway, have you found the list yet?

purplesky

PERSONAL FINANCE 5/09/2013 @ 11:17AM
Independent Contractor Enforcement: There's More Than The IRS To Fear

John Thompson

Do you employ “independent contractors” or “freelancers” who might arguably be considered employees? Through the years, the employee classification issue has caused problems for businesses ranging from Lowe's Cos LOW +0.72%. and FedEx FDX -0.31% to the operator of a strip club. And this issue is only heating up. Forbes tax contributors have written extensively about the Internal Revenue Service’s recent crackdownon what it sees as misclassified workers. But the IRS isn’t alone. In the following guest column, John Thompson, a partner in the Atlanta office of Fisher & Phillips, a national labor law firm representing management, offers a warning about stepped-up enforcement by the U.S. Labor Department and a primer on worker classification. It’s timely reading considering that Thomas Perez, President Obama’s nominee for Labor Secretary, emphasized the issue when he headed up Maryland’s Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation, from 2007 to 2009.

purplesky

TAXES
New Crackdown On Using Independent Contractors[/h]

Whether to hire employees or independent contractors can seem like a no-brainer. With independent contractors you don’t have to withhold taxes or pay benefits and they are easier to fire. But if your “independent contractors” are reclassified the IRS can assess crippling retroactive penalties. See Ten Consequences of Reclassifying Independent Contractors as Employees.
Classically, employees go to work at set hours while independent contractors set their own. Employees follow orders, while independent contractors don’t. Employees receive regular paychecks while independent contractors are paid by the job.

Is IRS Making Independent Contractor Treatment Even Harder?
Robert W. Wood
1099 r W-2?
Robert W. Wood
Failing To Pay Employment Taxes Means Personal Liability Robert W. WoodContributor
California's Tough New Independent Contractor Law Robert W. Wood
Employees work year-round, while independent contractors are temporary. Employers control employee actions, while independent contractors work on their own. Of course, in real life lines blur and classifications are second-guessed.
Plus, the seamless flow of information means one investigation often triggers another. See 10 Reasons to Worry About Worker Status Disputes. A small worker status dispute that doesn’t seem worth fighting may trigger a large one and then another like dominoes. The contractor or employee decision involves taxes, labor and employment law, benefits, worker’s compensation, unemployment insurance and more. See Ten Things GAO Has to Say About Employee Contractor Misclassification.
Increasingly, the IRS, Department of Labor (DOL) and state governments are swapping information. A GAO report claims the IRS is losing billions, while a DOL study says up to 30% of employers misclassify workers. But change is on the way. The DOL announced in 2010 that it would issue regulations requiring companies to write a classification analysis for all workers, including independent contractors.
These proposed regulations are expected to require companies to explain why the worker is or is not covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act. Companies may have to show each worker a copy, leading many to refer to these rules as “Right to Know.” There’s a similar theme in the Fair Playing Field Act of 2010 (H.R. 6128, S. 3786). Despite President Obama’s support it didn’t pass but the bill may return.
It would require giving each independent contractor a kind of written Miranda warning notifying the independent contractor about:

1. The federal tax obligations of an independent contractor;
  2. The labor and employment law protections that do not apply to independent contractors; and
  3. The right each independent contractor has to ask the IRS to determine whether he or she is an employee or independent contractor.
If you use independent contractors, consider the strength of your case and how many workers you have. Tally the cost of fighting reclassification or giving in. If your case isn’t strong, you may be able to revise your contract to improve it. But you are better off considering these issues before an audit or litigation.
Robert W. Wood practices law with Wood LLP, in San Francisco. The author of more than 30 books, including Legal Guide to Independent Contractor Status (5th Ed. 2010, Tax Institute). This discussion is not intended as legal advice, and cannot be relied upon for any purpose without the services of a qualified professional.

purplesky

I guess for now Fredex will take the litigation route. But I bet one of the states will bring the whole contractor ground scam down sooner than later.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I guess for now Fredex will take the litigation route. But I bet one of the states will bring the whole contractor ground scam down sooner than later.

bbsam doesn't want to read or hear anything but the FedEx company line of BS, which is that Ground is above board and bulletproof.

bbsam

Staff member

I have no problem reading anything. As I have always said, if ICs are going to be done away with, it will have to be done by congress. Think of it as a subset of tax reform. If they don't close the loopholes and clean up the gray area, my bet is that Fedex and its lawyers have little to fear from this stepped up enforcement, which by the way began back in 2010. Are things moving slowly,or not at all?

Oh, and that list of trucking companies. And the double digit profit years for Express? Any luck?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I have no problem reading anything. As I have always said, if ICs are going to be done away with, it will have to be done by congress. Think of it as a subset of tax reform. If they don't close the loopholes and clean up the gray area, my bet is that Fedex and its lawyers have little to fear from this stepped up enforcement, which by the way began back in 2010. Are things moving slowly,or not at all?

Oh, and that list of trucking companies. And the double digit profit years for Express? Any luck?

I'm still trying to pull the information out of my my ass. You'll get the information.