Something I Don't Understand

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Exactly. At least I discuss the issues whether I agree with them or not. I don't dismiss others just because they don't agree with me as long as they are trying to present valid points.

Your method of dicussion leaves a lot to be desired. When you open a question with "What do you think that says about you?" You're launching a veiled personal attack. Furthermore, are you paying my rent pal? If not then I don't have to answer you just like you refuse to answer me. Get it?

quadro

Your method of dicussion leaves a lot to be desired. When you open a question with "What do you think that says about you?" You're launching a veiled personal attack.
I see your point and in retrospect I should have phrased it differently.
Furthermore, are you paying my rent pal? If not then I don't have to answer you just like you refuse to answer me. Get it?
You don't have to answer me but you've chosen to do so. Where have I refused to answer you?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Who ever said Fedex was against collective bargaining?

There is only one company more opposed to the idea of collective bargaining, and that's WalMart. After this current campaign, FedEx may have the number one spot all to itself. It's a shame that our political system rewards the Waltons and Smiths of this world by allowing them to use their money to create whatever legislation they desire.

quadro

There is only one company more opposed to the idea of collective bargaining, and that's WalMart. After this current campaign, FedEx may have the number one spot all to itself. It's a shame that our political system rewards the Waltons and Smiths of this world by allowing them to use their money to create whatever legislation they desire.
And if the Express Carrier language is put back in the FAA bill and it passes then it's a shame that our political system rewards the UPS' of this world by allowing them to use their money to create whatever legislation they desire.

Without commenting on whether or not FedEx should be under the NLRA, it seems a little disingenuous to imply that our political system favors the likes of Walmart and FedEx when in reality, it favors anyone with money.

FedEx courier

And if the Express Carrier language is put back in the FAA bill and it passes then it's a shame that our political system rewards the UPS' of this world by allowing them to use their money to create whatever legislation they desire.

Without commenting on whether or not FedEx should be under the NLRA, it seems a little disingenuous to imply that our political system favors the likes of Walmart and FedEx when in reality, it favors anyone with money.
Didn't FEDx initially get the language inserted in the bill in '96? It would seem that FDX created this legislation as noted earlier.

Cactus

Didn't FEDx initially get the language inserted in the bill in '96? It would seem that FDX created this legislation as noted earlier.

The weasel legal department found the obsolete term "express carrier" and revived it and snuck it into the bill.

Yep Fed Ex created it alright.

quadro

It was in there prior to 1996 but was removed during the FAA Re-authorization Act of 1996 and FedEx lobbied to have it reinserted. Special interest legislation is for anyone that can afford it.

FedEx courier

It was in there prior to 1996 but was removed during the FAA Re-authorization Act of 1996 and FedEx lobbied to have it reinserted. Special interest legislation is for anyone that can afford it.
I agree it is for anyone that can afford it. Lobbying should be outlawed.

FedEx courier

You seem to agree that FDX should be classified under the NLRA. Don't really understand your argument if you agree that they should be under the NLRA?

quadro

You seem to agree that FDX should be classified under the NLRA. Don't really understand your argument if you agree that they should be under the NLRA?
Nowhere did I say that FDX should be under the NLRA. You even quoted my post that says I'm not commenting on whether FedEx should be under the NLRA. To clarify that, I didn't want to get into the NLRA vs. RLA discussion hence my non-comment. I was simply pointing out that our political system favors those with money and it's not specific to any particular company. Whether any special interest legislation is right or wrong will always depend on an individual's point of view. If it works for you, it's right, if it doesn't, it's wrong. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but this whole "FedEx is spending millions to get what it wants" thing isn't anything unusual. Businesses do it all the time. If you are someone who thinks RLA is the correct classification then you can justify the spending. If you think NLRA is correct, then you can justify UPS' spending. It's a little bit of a smoke screen to throw out about the FedEx spend because what business wouldn't spend the money if they thought it was in their best interest? FedEx and UPS are both doing it, just to name a couple of businesses.

FedEx courier

Nowhere did I say that FDX should be under the NLRA. You even quoted my post that says I'm not commenting on whether FedEx should be under the NLRA. To clarify that, I didn't want to get into the NLRA vs. RLA discussion hence my non-comment. I was simply pointing out that our political system favors those with money and it's not specific to any particular company. Whether any special interest legislation is right or wrong will always depend on an individual's point of view. If it works for you, it's right, if it doesn't, it's wrong. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but this whole "FedEx is spending millions to get what it wants" thing isn't anything unusual. Businesses do it all the time. If you are someone who thinks RLA is the correct classification then you can justify the spending. If you think NLRA is correct, then you can justify UPS' spending. It's a little bit of a smoke screen to throw out about the FedEx spend because what business wouldn't spend the money if they thought it was in their best interest? FedEx and UPS are both doing it, just to name a couple of businesses.
My fault, I misunderstood your comment, I thought you meant you didn't agree with the current classification. I agree with your idea that anyone with money seems to lobby to get what they want, however it is so blatantly obvious that the Walmarts and Fedxes are doing it to limit their workers wages, benefits, security, ect......

quadro

My fault, I misunderstood your comment, I thought you meant you didn't agree with the current classification. I agree with your idea that anyone with money seems to lobby to get what they want, however it is so blatantly obvious that the Walmarts and Fedxes are doing it to limit their workers wages, benefits, security, ect......
I'm really not well versed in all things Walmart except for what I see in the newspaper or on tv so I can't comment on them or their employees. I would be curious to see how FedEx ranks in terms of workers' wages, benefits, job security, etc. when compared to other companies. I know how they compare to UPS so no need for anyone to compare that but how about other companies of varying sizes in various industries. I know the UPS argument but I'd be curious to see, out of 100 companies, where FedEx stands. If they are say, #90, then I would see your point about why FedEx lobbies. If they are say, #10, then I'm not so sure that the reason they lobby is as you suggest.

Cactus

If you are someone who thinks RLA is the correct classification then you can justify the spending.

Whoa! Time out! Heaven forbid Fred spend that money on better wages, insurance, retirement or profit sharing etc.

Somebody better cut you off from the Kool-Aid.

quadro

If you are someone who thinks RLA is the correct classification then you can justify the spending. If you think NLRA is correct, then you can justify UPS' spending.

Whoa! Time out! Heaven forbid Fred spend that money on better wages, insurance, retirement or profit sharing etc.

Somebody better cut you off from the Kool-Aid.
You took what I said and quoted it out of context. All I was pointing out was that depending on which side of the fence you are on, you can, and most likely will, justify the spending by either FedEx or by UPS or any company for that matter in any lobbying situation. Not sure how pointing out the obvious is drinking the Kool-Aid. Having said that, the $21MM number that is being quoted would hardly provide for better wages, insurance, retirement, or profit sharing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You took what I said and quoted it out of context. All I was pointing out was that depending on which side of the fence you are on, you can, and most likely will, justify the spending by either FedEx or by UPS or any company for that matter in any lobbying situation. Not sure how pointing out the obvious is drinking the Kool-Aid. Having said that, the $21MM number that is being quoted would hardly provide for better wages, insurance, retirement, or profit sharing.

The point you always seem to miss is that FedEx will spend every penny they can to prevent providing us better wages, retirement etc. Whatever it takes to keep us under the RLA, Fred is willing to do it. If FedEx doesn't need a union, it won't get one. I think you should study-up on WalMart, because they are completely sympatico with Uncle Fred. I bet you'd wear that blue vest and big yellow smiley button with pride. If you aren't on Maury's payroll, you should be. You suck-up like a Hoover WindTunnel powered by a 350 Chevy.

quadro

The point you always seem to miss is that FedEx will spend every penny they can to prevent providing us better wages, retirement etc. Whatever it takes to keep us under the RLA, Fred is willing to do it. If FedEx doesn't need a union, it won't get one. I think you should study-up on WalMart, because they are completely sympatico with Uncle Fred. I bet you'd wear that blue vest and big yellow smiley button with pride. If you aren't on Maury's payroll, you should be. You suck-up like a Hoover WindTunnel powered by a 350 Chevy.
Exactly who would I be sucking up to? Certainly not anyone around here and certainly not anyone at FedEx. But as usual, you know best and everyone should defer to you. It's inconceivable to you that being under the NLRA without some type of NMA could possibly result in anything bad. The fact that you don't even entertain the notion that local rather than national representation could cause more problems than it solves is very reckless. I'm not saying that it would be bad, simply that there are risks. There is no perfect solution, only one that is best for the majority of employees and contrary to your demagogue beliefs, you don't know what's best for everyone. I don't either but at least I acknowledge the very real possibilities on both sides of the argument rather than act like a fool and just throw around stupid insults like a spoiled little child and make wild claims as if I already know the outcome of contract negotiations.

Last edited:

Cactus

Having said that, the $21MM number that is being quoted would hardly provide for better wages, insurance, retirement, or profit sharing.

I disagree.

Take that 21 million and divide it up with all DGO employees and toss us a profit sharing check and we'll take it. And if you wanna give yours back we'll take that too.

quadro

I disagree.

Take that 21 million and divide it up with all DGO employees and toss us a profit sharing check and we'll take it. And if you wanna give yours back we'll take that too.
Why just DGO? What about all hourly Express employees? I do agree that it would be nice if it was given as a profit sharing check. I know I could use a couple hundred bucks.

FedEx courier

Exactly who would I be sucking up to? Certainly not anyone around here and certainly not anyone at FedEx. But as usual, you know best and everyone should defer to you. It's inconceivable to you that being under the NLRA without some type of NMA could possibly result in anything bad. The fact that you don't even entertain the notion that local rather than national representation could cause more problems than it solves is very reckless. I'm not saying that it would be bad, simply that there are risks. There is no perfect solution, only one that is best for the majority of employees and contrary to your demagogue beliefs, you don't know what's best for everyone. I don't either but at least I acknowledge the very real possibilities on both sides of the argument rather than act like a fool and just throw around stupid insults like a spoiled little child and make wild claims as if I already know the outcome of contract negotiations.
The difference under the NLRA is that FEDx would actually have to keep a Union out by doing things/answering to the employees. You and FEDx pr act like this bill would result in wildcat unionization. FX would be just like everyplace if this bill passed with the language, they would have to actually keep the Union out by dealing with employees. Why doesn't FX put it's money where it's mouth is, if they treat employees so great there shouldn't be any threat of unionization anywhere within the company, so it wouldn't matter what classification were changed.

quadro

The difference under the NLRA is that FEDx would actually have to keep a Union out by doing things/answering to the employees. You and FEDx pr act like this bill would result in wildcat unionization.
And you know that it wouldn't? Why do you think that UPS has a NMA?