Something I Don't Understand

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've said plenty about Fred S the last couple of years on this site. Suffice it to say, I don't think much of him. In spite of who and what he is, he still has plenty of supporters, which I simply do not understand.

OK, I get it that some of you are philosophically or politically against unions. I can respect that. But in Smith, you have someone who is actively working against your personal interests if you happen to work for FedEx Express. He has spent an estimated $21 million during the current Brown Bailout campaign and untold millions over the years just so he can save money by paying you less.

FedEx isn't in financial peril, and having a union isn't going to sink the company despite the dire predictions of some. The overnight express business is still highly lucrative and remains the core of the FedEx empire.

Even if we remain non-union, how can you continue to support Smith? He has no interest in your welfare, only his own. We are all completely disposable, just as at most companies, yet many seem to believe that Express is some magic place that remains a "special" employer. At one time that was true, but it certainly isn't now. FedEx still perpetuates this myth every day, and amazingly, many of you buy into it, even while Fred is doing everything in his power to keep you clenched in his fist.

Union or no union, this is a man who doesn't deserve your respect, admiration, or loyalty. Fight against the union if you wish, but don't support this rat and his sleazy underhanded way of doing business. Like I said, I fully understand people who don't like unions, but I do not get why any employee would have an ounce of respect for Frederick W. Smith.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
When I first got my job at Federal Express I was under the impression that this was gonna be a great experience and there was no better place to work. Wrong! Didn't take real long to figure out that it was no different than anywhere else and maybe worse. Unrealistic expectations from the managers and above, favoritism, lying mangers, no profit sharing etc. This was about 17 years ago and apparently the rot had already settled in. I heard from lots of couriers that were unhappy with the way things were going and how much the dispised the managers. It had to been worse for them as they had once experienced the "good ol' days." Well it's 17 years later and Fed Ex is keeping the masquerade going. That old PR smoke and mirror machine has got to be overheating.

quadro

When I first got my job at Federal Express I was under the impression that this was gonna be a great experience and there was no better place to work. Wrong! Didn't take real long to figure out that it was no different than anywhere else and maybe worse.
(emphasis mine) And yet you stayed for 17 years. What does that say about you?

Cactus

(emphasis mine) And yet you stayed for 17 years. What does that say about you?

Oh jeez I must be the only one in the whole history of Fed Ex that's stayed over 10 years and doesn't particularly care about for how the place is run? I guess that makes me pretty unique you butthead.

It called making a living and doing what you have to for your family.

Now, what's your excuse?

quadro

IOh jeez i must be the only one in the whole history of Fed Ex that's stayed over 10 years and doesn't particularly care about for how the place is run? I guess that makes me pretty unique you buttbreath.

It called making a living and doing what you have to for your family.

Now, what's your excuse?
"buttbreath". That's a good one. You say you realized early on that FedEx is possibly worse than a lot of companies. I understand needing to make a living but are you seriously saying that even in those first 10 years when you knew you were working for the wrong company, there was no other job out there that was better than the one at FedEx?

Cactus

"buttbreath". That's a good one. You say you realized early on that FedEx is possibly worse than a lot of companies. I understand needing to make a living but are you seriously saying that even in those first 10 years when you knew you were working for the wrong company, there was no other job out there that was better than the one at FedEx?

So how do you know how good or how bad the availability of jobs especially one's that may pay better in this market are?

quadro

So how do you know how good or how bad the availability of jobs especially one's that may pay better in this market are?
I don't but you do. You already said that FedEx was no different and maybe worse than everywhere else. If there were no other jobs or jobs that only paid less then your first statement wouldn't be true.

Cactus

Well if your so worried about my employment status and not say what yours is then you must be amoungst the ranks of the unemployed. Or what? Or are you to embarrased to say?

FedEx courier

I've said plenty about Fred S the last couple of years on this site. Suffice it to say, I don't think much of him. In spite of who and what he is, he still has plenty of supporters, which I simply do not understand.

OK, I get it that some of you are philosophically or politically against unions. I can respect that. But in Smith, you have someone who is actively working against your personal interests if you happen to work for FedEx Express. He has spent an estimated $21 million during the current Brown Bailout campaign and untold millions over the years just so he can save money by paying you less.

FedEx isn't in financial peril, and having a union isn't going to sink the company despite the dire predictions of some. The overnight express business is still highly lucrative and remains the core of the FedEx empire.

Even if we remain non-union, how can you continue to support Smith? He has no interest in your welfare, only his own. We are all completely disposable, just as at most companies, yet many seem to believe that Express is some magic place that remains a "special" employer. At one time that was true, but it certainly isn't now. FedEx still perpetuates this myth every day, and amazingly, many of you buy into it, even while Fred is doing everything in his power to keep you clenched in his fist.

Union or no union, this is a man who doesn't deserve your respect, admiration, or loyalty. Fight against the union if you wish, but don't support this rat and his sleazy underhanded way of doing business. Like I said, I fully understand people who don't like unions, but I do not get why any employee would have an ounce of respect for Frederick W. Smith.
Don't think the love from FEDx is very widespread. There are certainly some who could literally be spit on by management and still profess their dying love, but I think a lot of the sympathizers that infiltrate these sites are management. Who else would have a vested interest in spending so much time defending FX no matter what. I don't think posters like Quadro are really fooling anybody are they.

Cactus

Don't think the love from FEDx is very widespread. There are certainly some who could literally be spit on by management and still profess their dying love, but I think a lot of the sympathizers that infiltrate these sites are management. Who else would have a vested interest in spending so much time defending FX no matter what. I don't think posters like Quadro are really fooling anybody are they.

That's right.

quadro

Well if your so worried about my employment status and not say what yours is then you must be amoungst the ranks of the unemployed. Or what? Or are you to embarrased to say?
Embarrassed to say what? I'm not worried about your employment status and never said I was. You made a claim that FedEx was as bad or worse than most other employers. You said you realized this not long after starting work at FedEx. You also said that you are still here 17 years later. Common sense would prompt someone to question why? That's all I did. That you choose to avoid the subject and use some faulty logic about my employment status seems to imply that you are just jumping on the union bandwagon. Any bandwagon ride, FedEx or union, can be a dangerous ride if you don't understand the issues.

FedEx courier

Embarrassed to say what? I'm not worried about your employment status and never said I was. You made a claim that FedEx was as bad or worse than most other employers. You said you realized this not long after starting work at FedEx. You also said that you are still here 17 years later. Common sense would prompt someone to question why? That's all I did. That you choose to avoid the subject and use some faulty logic about my employment status seems to imply that you are just jumping on the union bandwagon. Any bandwagon ride, FedEx or union, can be a dangerous ride if you don't understand the issues.
It's a bandwagon if you don't agree with it. You act like you aren't on a bandwagon, what happened to the good cop bad cop act? That was a lot more entertaining.

LTFedExer

MrFedEx - just because someone likes the company they work for doesn't necessarily mean they like upper management. Fred S started this company and it is his to run as he sees fit. You may (actually you DO) disagree with the policies, pension fund, hourly rate, etc etc etc etc, but guess what? Who cares? You have 2 choices, grin (ok, maybe smirk) and bear it or find another job. Nobody's holding a gun to your head to make you stay. You are free to leave anytime you want. Your posts tells me you enjoy being miserable and passing your misery onto others. You keep bringing up how much better UPS is paying their employees, their pension fund, etc. But, ANYWHERE you go, there will always be someone making more than you, have a better pension, etc. If FedEx decided to raise the pay to make it EQUAL to UPS, you would just find something else to bitch and moan about. And if you think for a second more pay and a better pension will solve your problems, I have a bridge for sale.

You may now call me a FedEx/Fred S sympathizer...because that's what you call anybody that posts anything even remotely pro-FedEx.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MrFedEx - just because someone likes the company they work for doesn't necessarily mean they like upper management. Fred S started this company and it is his to run as he sees fit. You may (actually you DO) disagree with the policies, pension fund, hourly rate, etc etc etc etc, but guess what? Who cares? You have 2 choices, grin (ok, maybe smirk) and bear it or find another job. Nobody's holding a gun to your head to make you stay. You are free to leave anytime you want. Your posts tells me you enjoy being miserable and passing your misery onto others. You keep bringing up how much better UPS is paying their employees, their pension fund, etc. But, ANYWHERE you go, there will always be someone making more than you, have a better pension, etc. If FedEx decided to raise the pay to make it EQUAL to UPS, you would just find something else to bitch and moan about. And if you think for a second more pay and a better pension will solve your problems, I have a bridge for sale.

You may now call me a FedEx/Fred S sympathizer...because that's what you call anybody that posts anything even remotely pro-FedEx.

The fact that Fred founded FedEx doesn't give him the right to special treatment or to crap on us. Yep, I'm free to leave, but I'm also free to fight him. Your simplistic arguments aren't worthy of a response from me. If you want to be stupid, that's OK by me.

Cactus

You must be one of "Fred's boys" that constantly acts like they don't understand the questions and then cloud the issues. Typical management strategy. Lots of double talk and talking in circles. And it ain't working.

Trying to tell you anything is like arguing with a drunk and not worth my time anymore.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
The fact that Fred founded FedEx doesn't give him the right to special treatment or to crap on us. Yep, I'm free to leave, but I'm also free to fight him. Your simplistic arguments aren't worthy of a response from me. If you want to be stupid, that's OK by me.

Well stated!!

ex fed exer

The fact that Fred founded FedEx

that may be true, but smith would be nowhere without labor, that is you. smith never delivered one pkg for this company, you did. in fact, you did it all. smith has made his millions back and billions more. now is the the time for you (who does all the work) to make something for yourself. that being said, this is not smith's company anymore to be run as he sees fit. this company belongs to the men and women who move it everyday. rememer that!

as far as ground is concerened, how is ground different from the cotton picken days in the south? the salves did all the work in the field and what did they get out of it? no pension, no benifits, no retirment, no better life for their children.

wake up and step into the 21th centuary.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The fact that Fred founded FedEx

that may be true, but smith would be nowhere without labor, that is you. smith never delivered one pkg for this company, you did. in fact, you did it all. smith has made his millions back and billions more. now is the the time for you (who does all the work) to make something for yourself. that being said, this is not smith's company anymore to be run as he sees fit. this company belongs to the men and women who move it everyday. rememer that!

as far as ground is concerened, how is ground different from the cotton picken days in the south? the salves did all the work in the field and what did they get out of it? no pension, no benifits, no retirment, no better life for their children.

wake up and step into the 21th centuary.

Comparing FedEx Ground drivers to slaves? Do you really want to go there?