Something I Don't Understand

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Look, working conditions and pay vary from region to region. It doesn't make since for the Northeast or Southwest regions to decide whats best for the rest of the country or vice versa. There are snowstorms in the Northeast, wildfires in the Southwest, and hurricanes on the Gulf coast all of which has an impact on service in those individual areas. Does this disrupt the entire network? Hell no, and neither would a local strike if it ever came to that.

The entire argument that the US economy would be disrupted by a FedEx strike is bogus and just another invention of the anti-union team in MEM. "Oh my, I can't get my Gucci loafers overnight!!" What will I do? How will I cope? Yes, some people would be inconvenienced, but is that a legitimate rationale for preventing workers from having the ability to organize? No, it isn't, but FedEx has a vested interest in pretending the world will end if we ever go on strike.

Quadro and his purple pals will come to work anyway and do it for free, just to keep America rolling. All those pilots too. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Fred's office the first day a bunch of couriers walk-off the job and shut-down a station when he refuses to negotiate. In order to screw the whole thing up all you really need is 4 or 5 CTV drivers to leave the ramp, drive their truck to some business park, and just lock the keys in the cab. Pure chaos.

quadro

The entire argument that the US economy would be disrupted by a FedEx strike is bogus and just another invention of the anti-union team in MEM. "Oh my, I can't get my Gucci loafers overnight!!" What will I do? How will I cope? Yes, some people would be inconvenienced, but is that a legitimate rationale for preventing workers from having the ability to organize? No, it isn't, but FedEx has a vested interest in pretending the world will end if we ever go on strike.

Quadro and his purple pals will come to work anyway and do it for free, just to keep America rolling. All those pilots too. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Fred's office the first day a bunch of couriers walk-off the job and shut-down a station when he refuses to negotiate. In order to screw the whole thing up all you really need is 4 or 5 CTV drivers to leave the ramp, drive their truck to some business park, and just lock the keys in the cab. Pure chaos.
Interesting that you and Broke don't agree on the magnitude of localized work actions. And I'm not so worried about keeping America rolling as I am which one of you two are correct. If Broke's right, then maybe I don't have too much to worry about. If you're right, then I'm pretty sure I don't want local unions.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Interesting that you and Broke don't agree on the magnitude of localized work actions. And I'm not so worried about keeping America rolling as I am which one of you two are correct. If Broke's right, then maybe I don't have too much to worry about. If you're right, then I'm pretty sure I don't want local unions.

Fred would be a lot more comfortable with national work actions because he has a much better chance of not having a union happen in the first place. Localized work actions make sense because we live in a very divided country. If you live in a "right to work" state, are politically conservative, and do not want a union, you and your co-workers who have the same philosophy don't have to go union. Believe it or not, I'm absolutely OK with you and your station staying non-union if that's what you want.

At my station, about 85% of the employees would sign a card, and most would probably love to burn Smith in effigy out in the parking lot. The fact that we strongly desire a union shouldn't force you to think the same way. When we walk-out, you and your buddies can keep the company going. Probably not, right?

This is the real issue because FedEx knows that the big cities are more than ready to go union. That will force Fred to the table because the volume going through LAX, EWR or OAK dwarfs anything coming-out of BFE ( Bum **** Egypt). These are the workers that will shut down the belt, park their CTV's or refuse to unload the aircraft....not you.

All Smith has ever had to do was be fair, and he's consistently proven he's incapable of it. I'm not looking to ruin FedEx, but the time for taking a stand is long overdue. Like I said, stay non-union if that's what you want, but get out of the way of the rest of us.

vantexan

Like I said, stay non-union if that's what you want, but get out of the way of the rest of us.

The non-union sentiment will fade pretty quickly when they realize that they are subsidizing better paid union workers. Now that the new RLA rules have been upheld and go into effect on Thursday, I wonder what will happen next, when and where. I'm hoping just the possibility of a union will get us better pay. I know you believe we MUST get a union, but I don't believe for a second it will lead to a UPS management/union style company. I remember that a couple of years ago there was speculation that FedEx would use part-timers for morning sort/P1 dels. Fulltimers would come in later, do SOS/pups, thus eliminating OT. Might still happen, might not see freight pushed to Ground just yet. But a union in the mix will certainly make them look at every option possible to minimize it's impact. Anyone who thinks voting in a union will lead to a UPS style company where the employees get great pay and benefits is just kidding themselves. It would be fantastic if it happened, but don't set yourself up for disappointment. At this point the absolute best thing that can happen IMO is that we negotiate much better pay, and get at least 30 hrs a week. If we FTer's get into a situation where our pay isn't improved, or only slightly, and we can't even get a full 40 due to coming in later, we will be monumentally screwed financially.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The non-union sentiment will fade pretty quickly when they realize that they are subsidizing better paid union workers. Now that the new RLA rules have been upheld and go into effect on Thursday, I wonder what will happen next, when and where. I'm hoping just the possibility of a union will get us better pay. I know you believe we MUST get a union, but I don't believe for a second it will lead to a UPS management/union style company. I remember that a couple of years ago there was speculation that FedEx would use part-timers for morning sort/P1 dels. Fulltimers would come in later, do SOS/pups, thus eliminating OT. Might still happen, might not see freight pushed to Ground just yet. But a union in the mix will certainly make them look at every option possible to minimize it's impact. Anyone who thinks voting in a union will lead to a UPS style company where the employees get great pay and benefits is just kidding themselves. It would be fantastic if it happened, but don't set yourself up for disappointment. At this point the absolute best thing that can happen IMO is that we negotiate much better pay, and get at least 30 hrs a week. If we FTer's get into a situation where our pay isn't improved, or only slightly, and we can't even get a full 40 due to coming in later, we will be monumentally screwed financially.

Do FedEx PT employees get health/dental/etc benefits like UPS PT'ers? If so, FedEx probably wouldn't do what you said here. UPS forces as much OT as it can force on drivers and inside employees, keeps bare bones staffing and the least amount of benefit /pension contributions as possible. That's one reason they're so successful and I'm sure Fred knows it.

vantexan

Do FedEx PT employees get health/dental/etc benefits like UPS PT'ers? If so, FedEx probably wouldn't do what you said here. UPS forces as much OT as it can force on drivers and inside employees, keeps bare bones staffing and the least amount of benefit /pension contributions as possible. That's one reason they're so successful and I'm sure Fred knows it.

But the difference is that UPS is stuck with the union but FedEx hasn't gotten one yet. They are, obviously, very resistant to getting one, and will try every maneuver possible to keep it out or minimize it if it gets in. Unlike UPS FedEx has the option of moving freight over to Ground. Also, we aren't the same as UPS as most freight is flown, not driven. The logistics are different for both getting it delivered and getting it pupped and shipped. That's why Express will never be the same type company as UPS, even with a union. Would be great if they paid great and I could reasonably expect 50+ hrs. Many don't want to work that much, but for me I'd deal with it for 7 years and retire. Under current circumstances I have no desire to work extra as I'm not being compensated as well as topped out couriers. Just being honest, if not paid as well as them and never will be then I would just as soon do without.