Something To Remember As We Enter Peak

STFXG

Be careful what you wish for. Express just might eat you lunch. If Express can do it at peak then there is no reason we couldn't do it permanently. Unlike contractors we don't turn away freight.

Very true. And I'm guessing the next ISP negotiation will have some differences when it comes to thresholds. Those of us in IC states don't have the option of turning away freight. Sink or swim baby!

overflowed

What if they just send business volume to express? We both go to those same places every day anyways. It puts volume on the express trucks and the cost to have express deliver those extra packages would be minimal.
No it would be nothing because like you said we are already going there anyway. Don't think they haven't weighed these options. See, you think about it as getting options during peak. If that worked, pushing ground freight during peak they would think. "Wow, what the hell are we paying them for."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think you don't get it. It's not that it's a great idea except that they are out of options. I didn't think it would be possible when I first heard it. But there is a way to move from one opco to another.[/QUOTE

How about hiring an adequate number of people? They are out of options because they painted themselves into a corner with a combination of greed and poor planning. Just how much more productivity can you squeeze out of an employee who really doesn't care anyway?

bbsam

Staff member
I think you don't get it. It's not that it's a great idea except that they are out of options. I didn't think it would be possible when I first heard it. But there is a way to move from one opco to another.[/QUOTE

How about hiring an adequate number of people? They are out of options because they painted themselves into a corner with a combination of greed and poor planning. Just how much more productivity can you squeeze out of an employee who really doesn't care anyway?

Absolutely. 100% agree. This is a management made crisis. Doesn't mean they won't horse whip the hourlies in an attempt to fix it.

bbsam

Staff member
No it would be nothing because like you said we are already going there anyway. Don't think they haven't weighed these options. See, you think about it as getting options during peak. If that worked, pushing ground freight during peak they would think. "Wow, what the hell are we paying them for."

But it won't work. This is desperation. This is utilizing absolutely every possible hour. Outside this management debacle the Ground model is preferred.

bbsam

Staff member
Besides, at a million pieces over three weeks at this time of year, we'll never even know if this actually happens anyway. Our terminal will still be jam packed as will every other. But I certainly wouldn't put it past them and the technology is in place to make it easily done.

bbsam

Staff member
Besides, at this point in the game, efficiency isn't the objective at the courier level. Just get it on the trucks and OLCCs for those who don't get it done.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Besides, at this point in the game, efficiency isn't the objective at the courier level. Just get it on the trucks and OLCCs for those who don't get it done.

Like I said, use my location as an example. Down 12 people, they cannot hire, and last year during Peak there were usually about 5,000 packages sitting on pallets in the warehouse...all unattempted, some rotting, others desperately needed medications. This is with relatively mild weather. Add-in some snow, and it gets a lot worse.

I wish you could come to Express for awhile and see it in action. This is a company that is horribly mismanaged, led by money-grubbing morons who have no operational sense, and managed by spreadsheet by engineers who don't understand operations either. This "plan" is a perfect example of idiocy in-action, and it will fail...miserably.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

:goodpost:

Limper

Out For Delivery
How about hiring an adequate number of people? They are out of options because they painted themselves into a corner with a combination of greed and poor planning. Just how much more productivity can you squeeze out of an employee who really doesn't care anyway?[/QUOTE]

Its the same on our side.......not enough drivers, not enough vehicles. If you somehow manage to get a workable stop count one day, you'll be told to help another driver at 7:30........not much incentive to work as fast as possible. The management game plan is to squeeze the drivers they have for everything they can get.

HomeDelivery

Very true. And I'm guessing the next ISP negotiation will have some differences when it comes to thresholds. Those of us in IC states don't have the option of turning away freight. Sink or swim baby!

that's incorrect, i know of a few that will turn away freight once they max their thresholds... the crappy areas goes to the hourly temp drivers...

i'm done early today because the volume is still "light" & i'm laughing at how Ground/HD is just letting those boxVans sitting in the parking lot since Sept... 2 more weeks & i hope they can start from all that ethanol-gas mixture that is slowly going stale in the fuel tanks... temp pool at one hub is about 40-strong & they'll double it by Thanksgiving

MAKAVELI

Did you ever stop to think that they told you this because bbsam is right?

Do you understand the cost involved for Saturday del? They would lose so much $ on a free upgrade for Saturday del. Even our clueless leaders could figure that out.

bbsam

Staff member
Do you understand the cost involved for Saturday del? They would lose so much $ on a free upgrade for Saturday del. Even our clueless leaders could figure that out.
They won't do Saturday. Saturday they have enough Ground drivers looking for extra money.

bbsam

Staff member
Like I said, use my location as an example. Down 12 people, they cannot hire, and last year during Peak there were usually about 5,000 packages sitting on pallets in the warehouse...all unattempted, some rotting, others desperately needed medications. This is with relatively mild weather. Add-in some snow, and it gets a lot worse.

I wish you could come to Express for awhile and see it in action. This is a company that is horribly mismanaged, led by money-grubbing morons who have no operational sense, and managed by spreadsheet by engineers who don't understand operations either. This "plan" is a perfect example of idiocy in-action, and it will fail...miserably.

just because it will fail doesn't mean they will hesitate to do it. They see numbers, nothing else. They probably don't even see last year as a colossal failure. How long have you been here and still don't know that? I don't have to work Express to know it.